E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #581
DieselJerzE46

My Ride: Triple Beam Dreams
Exactly.
DieselJerzE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #582
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselJerzE46 View Post
Show me the scientific evidence that proves creatine causes water retention.

Cheap sh1t creatine contaminated with sodium, sure. Creatine causes volumization, drawing water from the body. Not bloating from water retention.
Huh? Who said anything about bloating? The water retention comment is from when you go on it, the body will draw in extra water to the cells. When you go off it, the body doesn't retain the same amount of water in the cells. Not sure the point you're trying to argue.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #583
DieselJerzE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Huh? Who said anything about bloating? The water retention comment is from when you go on it, the body will draw in extra water to the cells. When you go off it, the body doesn't retain the same amount of water in the cells. Not sure the point you're trying to argue.
Quote:
Most likely. You're losing the extra water retention when you go off creatine, hence the loss in strength and weight.
Quote:

People still believe in the water weight myth?
The water is drawn from your body. The only reason you are supposed to drink water is so that you don't dehydrate the rest of your body by taking water away from the rest of your tissue.

Creatine volumizes your muscles by putting water in them, not retaining water. There is a big difference between water retention (edema) and your body putting volume in your muscles by drawing water from your body.

The only people who should be retaining water are those with high sodium intake or women on their periods/menopause. Your concept of what creatine does may be correct, but your wording is off and misleading... water retention is a bad thing. Water retention will do NOTHING to your muscles or your workouts.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #584
BMW_Matt

Ok. So I Mis-used the word retention. Don't make a tissy about It.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #585
DieselJerzE46

The point still stands... you shouldn't be losing weight when you get off creatine. Strength, sure. I didn't lose any weight when I went off creatine. I only lost a few pounds when my diet went to sh1t.

The only way I can see someone losing water weight BECAUSE of creatine, is if they never drank much water to begin with... and only began dranking proper amounts daily when supping with creatine.

Even then, your body would be pissing/pooping out the extra water you're not used to.

Its just another myth that people use to get you afraid of creatine... "oh yeah, you'll look huge but once you stop taking it you're going to shrink or get fat."
Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #586
BMW_Matt

For him, going off protein, creatine, and everything else is what caused it. His loss in strength after not taking creatine? 100% direct correlation. Most people don't drink enough water to begin with, let alone adding creatine.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #587
DieselJerzE46

Quote:
For him, going off protein, creatine, and everything else is what caused it. His loss in strength after not taking creatine? 100% direct correlation. Most people don't drink enough water to begin with, let alone adding creatine.
Well you stated the loss of 'water retention' () from creatine as the direct correlation to losing weight and strength. Weight, I don't think it was the creatine... loss in mass, sure. Strength, that's debatable.

Some claim creatine doesn't do anything for strength gains, others claim it does. I'm with you on the strength loss though.

"Water Retention" was one of the main reasons I was afraid to take creatine in the first place. Looking back, it was silly to not start taking it sooner and to somewhat condemn the use. Now I have friends telling me I'm destroying my kidneys/liver by supping creatine.

Last edited by DieselJerzE46; 01-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #588
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Well you stated the loss of 'water retention' () from creatine as the direct correlation to losing weight and strength. Weight, I don't think it was the creatine... loss in mass, sure. Strength, that's debatable.

Some claim creatine doesn't do anything for strength gains, others claim it does. I'm with you on the strength loss though.

"Water Retention" was one of the main reasons I was afraid to take creatine in the first place. Looking back, it was silly to not start taking it sooner and to somewhat condemn the use. Now I have friends telling me I'm destroying my kidneys/liver by supping creatine.

Creatine is one of the most researched and studied supplements out there right now. It's proven, safe, and effective. Anyone that isn't seeing gains is doing it wrong.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #589
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Didn't want a new thread but need an answer... my buddy, a marine, wants me to join him on "rucks" (weighted jogs.. usually around 40 pounds in a backpack)...

I have to imagine this will quickly destroy the muscle/weight I've put on to date through heavy lifting and eating but he insists it will bulk up my legs and core without hurting the gains I've made (in particular in my upper body).

Thoughts?
Running with added weight is not good on your joints and I wouldn't recommend it. Actually it is terrible for you. Parachute running is the closest I would get.

Other topic- when I stop creatine, I lose 4-6 lbs.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #590
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Crossfit inspired workout.

Back Squats, Pull Ups, Medicine Ball Push ups.

Descending reps from 10 to 1. 30 sets total.

Back squat 135,135,155,155,185,185,185,225,

No Breaks, alternating exercises every set. Finished in about 15 mins.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #591
Hockeyman17

Crossfit inspired workout pt. 2

Front Squat, Chin ups, Bench Dips

30 sets total. Starting at 10 reps descending to 1.

Front Squat: 95,115,115,135,135,155,155,185,185
225 (new PR)

No breaks, finished in about 15 mins.

Went back on Creatine and Glutamine 2 days ago. Lifts felt easy. Looking forward to new PR's next week. Going to attempt 4x305 back squat next week.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #592
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
Crossfit inspired workout pt. 2

Front Squat, Chin ups, Bench Dips

30 sets total. Starting at 10 reps descending to 1.

Front Squat: 95,115,115,135,135,155,155,185,185
225 (new PR)

No breaks, finished in about 15 mins.

Went back on Creatine and Glutamine 2 days ago. Lifts felt easy. Looking forward to new PR's next week. Going to attempt 4x305 back squat next week.
good **** man. I need to get into front squats
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #593
jelani

My Ride: looking for a ride
Quote:
I'm not gonna post an actual workout today but I want to mention that my numbers have decreased from a peak about 3 weeks ago. I knew there would be a plateau but it's frustrating that I can't lift what I was 3 weeks ago. I have been lifting upper body twice a week and lower once a week. I am going to attribute this to going off Creatine, Glutamine and Protein Shakes (except post workout) 3 weeks ago. I guess it's kind of obvious that this is why my numbers are dropping. About a 20% drop across the board. I have also dropped 3lbs. I guess its time to load up on supplements again.
I would say yes going off Creatine caused your decline, Glutamine helps your recovery.

Man try not to take supplements, just eat good and get plenty of rest.

When you take supplements to increases your strength are you doing the work or is the supplement? If your body was'ent designed to jack heavy then your joints will pay for it in time.

Work with what God gave you naturally and let TIME add strength

Just my two cents
jelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #594
Hockeyman17

Personally I'm all for seeing what the human body is capable of. I wouldn't take steroids but I think professional sports should be rampant with them. If I'm paying money to watch these players I want them to jump higher, run faster, hit harder. Just my opinion.

Plus Creatine and Glutamine are naturally occurring substances in the human body.

Also, I play hockey at a fairly high level, so anything that improves my strength is beneficial to me and the team

Last edited by Hockeyman17; 01-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #595
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Personally I'm all for seeing what the human body is capable of. I wouldn't take steroids but I think professional sports should be rampant with them. If I'm paying money to watch these players I want them to jump higher, run faster, hit harder. Just my opinion.

Plus Creatine and Glutamine are naturally occurring substances in the human body.

Also, I play hockey at a fairly high level, so anything that improves my strength is beneficial to me and the team
nah, then the NFL will penalize defensive players for hitting too hard.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #596
jelani

My Ride: looking for a ride
Quote:

I here you Hockeyman, I took some creatine a few years back and it increased my strength some but when I stoped using it I went right back, there were no long term gains for me, so I stoped using it.

I was just saying if you stay natural and keep it real you will gain strength in time and retain it. Eat right, sleep right, proper form and repetition through time are the keys. You get enough Creatine and Glutamine through food if you eat right.

I don't know what pros do as far as steroids and stuff, but most of those guys have a natural ability in there respected field.

Later man keep workin
jelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #597
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Two WOD workout:

WOD 1:
For time
Squat cleans
Burpees
Run 100m
WOD 2:
20min AMRAP
12 Kettle Bell swings
8 toe to bar
Every minute on the minute two snatches then resume AMRAP where you left off.

This was brutal. It turned into AMRAP snatches towards the end.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #598
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Two WOD workout:

WOD 1:
For time
Squat cleans
Burpees
Run 100m
WOD 2:
20min AMRAP
12 Kettle Bell swings
8 toe to bar
Every minute on the minute two snatches then resume AMRAP where you left off.

This was brutal. It turned into AMRAP snatches towards the end.
Nice. What weight on the squat cleans and on the swings and snatches. What were your times / scores?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #599
ShootyzGruve

Glight, I'm still relatively new to these workouts so going pretty light on the weight. 25kg Kettlebells and 95lbs for the snatches. Pretty comfortable with my mechanics on the swings but still growing accustomed to snatches.

I did not log my time for the first WOD because we jumped into the second quite fast and for the second I straight lost count somewhere along the amrap I know, that's bad on me. I need to do a better job of keeping data on my workouts.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #600
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Glight, I'm still relatively new to these workouts so going pretty light on the weight. 25kg Kettlebells and 95lbs for the snatches. Pretty comfortable with my mechanics on the swings but still growing accustomed to snatches.

I did not log my time for the first WOD because we jumped into the second quite fast and for the second I straight lost count somewhere along the amrap I know, that's bad on me. I need to do a better job of keeping data on my workouts.
Its all good. Those are respectable weights. And even if they weren't its still all good. Everybody starts somewhere. It's awesome to go back and crush your times on workouts from like a year or two prior. Always record your times.
If you dont you dont know if you are making progress or not.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote