E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #601
ShootyzGruve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Thanks for the kind words Glight.

Totally agree with you on the data logging, I just slack on it from time to time. d'oh!
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #602
Hockeyman17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Moody, B.C. Canada
Posts: 128
My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Back Squat

4x135, 4x185, 4x225, 4x275

4x305 new PR

Bench Press

10x95
6x135
4x185
4x190

Dips + Pullups- 10,10,8,8,6,6,4,4,2,2

So happy with lifting 305 today. Just under double my body weight.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #603
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Deadlift
135x5
225x5
295x5
335x5
365x3
425x1
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #604
Hockeyman17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Moody, B.C. Canada
Posts: 128
My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Nice. I'm not even close to that on Deadlift. On Back Squat, do any of you guys use a pad between the bar and your neck? Seems like a lot of weight directly on my spine.

Last edited by Hockeyman17; 01-30-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #605
jelani
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PO
Posts: 110
My Ride: looking for a ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
Nice. I'm not even close to that on Deadlift. On Back Squat, do any of you guys use a pad between the bar and your neck? Seems like a lot of weight directly on my spine.
I don't use a pad.
jelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #606
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
Nice. I'm not even close to that on Deadlift. On Back Squat, do any of you guys use a pad between the bar and your neck? Seems like a lot of weight directly on my spine.
Do you do low bar or high bar. I do low bar and its mainly on my traps/shoulders.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #607
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
Nice. I'm not even close to that on Deadlift. On Back Squat, do any of you guys use a pad between the bar and your neck? Seems like a lot of weight directly on my spine.
No we're all men here.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #608
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
No we're all men here.
+1

If I'm sore on my spine where the ball sits, I'll let it rest a little further back, sitting mostly on my traps/shoulders. I haven't used a pad/towel on the rack since 9th grade.
__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #609
Hockeyman17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Moody, B.C. Canada
Posts: 128
My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
+1

If I'm sore on my spine where the ball sits, I'll let it rest a little further back, sitting mostly on my traps/shoulders. I haven't used a pad/towel on the rack since 9th grade.
Ya, I'll try to just adjust the position of the bar next time off my spine to the traps. Thnx

Last edited by Hockeyman17; 01-30-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #610
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
Ya, I'll try to just adjust the position of the bar next time off my spine to the traps. Thnx
__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #611
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Deadlift
135x5
225x5
295x5
335x5
365x3
425x1
Nice! Back must be feeling better. What is your all time pr? Pr since injury?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #612
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Nice! Back must be feeling better. What is your all time pr? Pr since injury?
That's the most I've ever done. I was gonna stop at 365 for 3, but I just wanted to try to get 4 plates so I could say I could. But there were no more regular plates (1st day back of new semester, so everyone was there) so I used the rubber bumper plates. It was in KG, which I didn't know at the time and threw on 2. Calculated it afterwards. No chalk, straps, or belt so that was raw.

I got a massage last week and my back is feeling awesome. Knees are meh, but I think I maybe pulled a lower left Ab muscle a week or so ago. There's some pain when I flex, or when I do some Ab exercises. Didn't hurt when doing deadlift tho.



Hockeyman, the comment about back squatting and it being on your spine is one of the major reasons I don't back squat. Putting that much weight directly on your spine is just asking for trouble. I have a few friends that have herniated discs and their lives are hell. I'm not trying to go through that just so I can say I squatted xxx. Unless you're an athlete, leg press will get you around the same size as Back Sq, with less pressure on the joints.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 01-30-2012 at 11:50 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #613
Hockeyman17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Moody, B.C. Canada
Posts: 128
My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Hockeyman, the comment about back squatting and it being on your spine is one of the major reasons I don't back squat. Putting that much weight directly on your spine is just asking for trouble. I have a few friends that have herniated discs and their lives are hell. I'm not trying to go through that just so I can say I squatted xxx. Unless you're an athlete, leg press will get you around the same size as Back Sq, with less pressure on the joints.
I think I'm going to keep the back squats under 300 from now on. I don't want spine problems in the future. One of the vertebrae in my neck is bruised today. I will stick to Dead lift and front squat when going heavy. Thanks for the advice.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #614
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
I think I'm going to keep the back squats under 300 from now on. I don't want spine problems in the future. One of the vertebrae in my neck is bruised today. I will stick to Dead lift and front squat when going heavy. Thanks for the advice.
Nothing wrong with the DL / FS combo but back squatting can be done safely with proper form and positioning. Nothing should be even close to touching your spine. If it is, your back is too loose and your grip is likely too wide.

Make your grip more narrow and it will tighten your upper back so the bar is resting on muscle instead of bone.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #615
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I get a rough spot after squatting, but it's not bad. If you have straight up spine pain, you are likely keeping the bar too high. It should sit low on your traps. This also helps center the weight on your body and thus your form will be better.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #616
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Rough one today.

400m ruck with 100lbs
800m jog with 20lb vest
1600m run
800m jog with 20lb vest
400m ruck with 100lbs

24:17. Brutal.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #617
ShootyzGruve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
That is Sick. My Hip Flexors are burning just thinking about a 100lb Ruck
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #618
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Rough one today.

400m ruck with 100lbs
800m jog with 20lb vest
1600m run
800m jog with 20lb vest
400m ruck with 100lbs

24:17. Brutal.
You run around the neighborhood or something? And how do you carry 100lbs. Backpack?
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #619
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You run around the neighborhood or something? And how do you carry 100lbs. Backpack?
It an army duffel from an army navy surplus filled with rubber mulch. Yeah, have some loops mapped from the house.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #620
Hockeyman17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Moody, B.C. Canada
Posts: 128
My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Back Squat - focused on a closer grip and shrugging shoulders to keep bar off spine. Worked better but still slightly sore on one of my vertebrae, not as sore as last time with 4x305.

12x45, 8x95, 8x135, 6x185, 6x225, 6x275

OH Press

12x45, 8x95, 8x115, 6x125

Superset Calf raises & Pull ups

12x135, 12x145, 12x155
8-8-8

Dips - 15 -15 -15
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use