E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #681
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
oh yea definitely thought of all that. Most of those things I didn't do at Golds anyway. I just like the idea of everyone helping each other out and sh1t. I saw it a lot during the 5k we ran the other day. A big group from my friends box was there. They were all in it together. My friend at a different box, crossfit stamford, pays fuucking $195 a mo. They're very good though, been around for like 6-7 years. Still though, that's a sh1t load to go somewhere where you can't really choose what to do. Honestly though, if I had a squat rack, set of weights, kb's, and a pull up bar I could make it work where ever I lived. I just use my garage because I have it and usually always have people over. It's not 100% necessary though.
Agreed. I never thought I'd join a crossfit gym because I'm a cheap SOB, but Solly you hit the nail on the head with the everyone helping each other out thing. I love the atmosphere of training with a group of cool people.

Another plus is that our trainers sit there and yell at me in Greek. It gives me practice learning a language that I should've learned as a little half-Greek child and everyone else at the gym gets confused like 'wtf are they saying?!?!'

joining a crossfit gym has given me the best feeling pain ever. The workouts suck so bad that I really don't think about anything else while I'm there. Like I told one of the trainers: 'I dont think about work, I don't think about school, I don't even think about not getting laid in the longest time.' It is a great stress reliever and I dont think I'll ever look back.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #682
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
todays workout

30:30. 5 rounds

TRX low row + face pull
kettlebell swings (80lb)
DB lunges (50LB)
renegade row with pushup (50lb)
knees to elbows

pretty brutal. almost fell straight on my back o n the knee to elbows. i couldnt even grip a water bottle after this workout.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #683
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Agreed. I never thought I'd join a crossfit gym because I'm a cheap SOB, but Solly you hit the nail on the head with the everyone helping each other out thing. I love the atmosphere of training with a group of cool people.

Another plus is that our trainers sit there and yell at me in Greek. It gives me practice learning a language that I should've learned as a little half-Greek child and everyone else at the gym gets confused like 'wtf are they saying?!?!'

joining a crossfit gym has given me the best feeling pain ever. The workouts suck so bad that I really don't think about anything else while I'm there. Like I told one of the trainers: 'I dont think about work, I don't think about school, I don't even think about not getting laid in the longest time.' It is a great stress reliever and I dont think I'll ever look back.
That's what i like to hear. It's unfortunate that some many people stereotype crossfit as this gimmick when the workouts are really awesome. I will never compromise form for time but I know some people will and that's the crappy part. I don't think it's much different than some idiot loading up 350lbs on a bb when he can only squat 300 with good form.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-11-2012 at 12:34 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #684
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
That's what i like to hear. It's unfortunate than some many people stereotype crossfit as this gimmick when the workouts are really awesome. I will never compromise form for time but I know some people will and that's the crappy part. I don't think it's much different than some idiot loading up 350lbs on a bb when he can only squat 300 with good form.
what do you think about kipping pull ups vs strict????
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #685
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
todays workout

30:30. 5 rounds

TRX low row + face pull
kettlebell swings (80lb)
DB lunges (50LB)
renegade row with pushup (50lb)
knees to elbows

pretty brutal. almost fell straight on my back o n the knee to elbows. i couldnt even grip a water bottle after this workout.
do you make these up yourself or does your trainers do it. Do the other players do the same things?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #686
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
what do you think about kipping pull ups vs strict????
I like strict because it's more focus on the muscles I want to work but I know kipping has it's place and works a lot of other things. I also haven't really tried them and they are a lot harder than most people think. I have to get the rhythm down.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #687
BreakMyWallet

we have no trainers at csula. i make these up.

kipping pullups have the highest rate of injury over any other workout from what i hear
Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #688
DylloS

Quote:

kipping pullups have the highest rate of injury over any other workout from what i hear
I find that hard to believe. What did you hear, like what was injured?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #689
Glight

Quote:

Very true. Its mostly because people that dont have the shoulder strength to do a strict pullup do them. SLAP tears are the most common serious injury. Risk is overblown IMO if you have the strength to do 5 - 10 strict pullups.

Strict for me when doing just pullups
Kipping when including them in a conditioning workout
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #690
BreakMyWallet

pretty easy to believe being a baseball player. rotator cuff, labrum/slap tears, ulner nerve. ive torn my labrum and if i do more then 5 you can feel it pull pretty hard
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #691
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Very true. Its mostly because people that dont have the shoulder strength to do a strict pullup do them. SLAP tears are the most common serious injury. Risk is overblown IMO if you have the strength to do 5 - 10 strict pullups.

Strict for me when doing just pullups
Kipping when including them in a conditioning workout
yeah exactly. my shoulders arent the strongest but it doesnt take much to get out of rhythm and pull something out
Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #692
DylloS

well sh1t lol
Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #693
ShootyzGruve

Quote:
I like strict because it's more focus on the muscles I want to work but I know kipping has it's place and works a lot of other things. I also haven't really tried them and they are a lot harder than most people think. I have to get the rhythm down.
Also tryin to get the kip down. The rhythm is tough for me too.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #694
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Kipping has its place...like if you're legitimately climbing something to save your life. It has no place in a workout regimen. At least, no more place than any other cheating movement has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #695
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Kipping has its place...like if you're legitimately climbing something to save your life. It has no place in a workout regimen. At least, no more place than any other cheating movement has.
That's what I've always assumed. I'd rather do my 3-5 strict pullups than 7-9 kipping pullups.

I'd rather keep building my shoulders so my joints are stronger
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #696
DylloS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
That's what I've always assumed. I'd rather do my 3-5 strict pullups than 7-9 kipping pullups.

I'd rather keep building my shoulders so my joints are stronger
That's kind of how I feel and I think glight touched on it a while back and he helped me understand them better. I'm all about getting my strict pull ups better though. I never heard of these kipping pu's before cf.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-11-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #697
Glight

Quote:
Meh. Tired line of thinking in my opinion. If you had said that they have no place in a bodybuilding program I'd take no issue with it.

Care to share why you feel that way?

I equate them to cheating only in the same way that a push press or a jerk is cheating at the shoulder press or that hip drive would be cheating on the bench.

On a jerk, the goal is to get as much weight locked out overhead as possible. It might not be accomplished by a strict press, but that doesnt make it cheating, just a different exercise.

With a kipping pullup the goal is to do as many reps as possible or do a set number or reps as fast as possible. This may be a different number or time than if you were doing them with strict pullups, but that doesnt make it cheating, just a different exercise.

I agree 100% that a strict pullup is better for strength building and isolating certain muscles. That being said, a kipping pullup is a full body workout that requires a lot of skill and coordination. Its just that its a different exercise.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #698
Glight

Quote:
That's kind of how I feel and I think glight touched on it a while back and he helped me understand them better. I'm all about getting my strict pull ups better though. I never heard of these kipping pu's before cf.
The kip has been used in gymnastics for a LONG time. CF just introduced most people to it.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #699
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Meh. Tired line of thinking in my opinion. If you had said that they have no place in a bodybuilding program I'd take no issue with it.

Care to share why you feel that way?

I equate them to cheating only in the same way that a push press or a jerk is cheating at the shoulder press or that hip drive would be cheating on the bench.

On a jerk, the goal is to get as much weight locked out overhead as possible. It might not be accomplished by a strict press, but that doesnt make it cheating, just a different exercise.

With a kipping pullup the goal is to do as many reps as possible or do a set number or reps as fast as possible. This may be a different number or time than if you were doing them with strict pullups, but that doesnt make it cheating, just a different exercise.

I agree 100% that a strict pullup is better for strength building and isolating certain muscles. That being said, a kipping pullup is a full body workout that requires a lot of skill and coordination. Its just that its a different exercise.
This is why I see them as a good addition to most programs. I push pressed my ass off last night. I don't see that as cheating lol.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #700
BreakMyWallet

todays

density. 5 rounds.

BB box step ups- 225lb- 5 each leg
box jumps ( no pause whatsoever.) 20/round
DB RDL- 100lb- 5 each leg
WG alternating pullups- 5 each side
TRX extended push/row- 5 each side