E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #1001
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Great workout today

Hang squat: 3x5: 225lb
Superset
Saws: 3x10 (buddies didn't get to do them with me the other day haha
Hang squat?

I'm doing this when I get home from work

Workout of the day:
3x5 Back Squat
3x10 Bench Press with speed reps.
Lighter weight with faster movements.

21-15-9 reps for time
Ring Dips
95lb Front Squat

Tabata Seated Dips
8 rounds
20 seconds on 10 seconds rest
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #1002
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
My whole post didn't load at first. I edited it

Hang squat is a hang clean and basically catching it down into a squat.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #1003
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Great workout today

Hang squat: 3x5: 225lb
Superset
Saws: 3x10 (buddies didn't get to do them with me the other day haha

Box squat: 3x5: 385lb
Superset
Trx partner rows with fat gripz: : 3x10 (feet pinching around partners wAist)

Barbell RDL: 3x5: 295lb
Superset
DB incline bench: 3x5: 85lb

Finisher: core. Too long to explain. Basically you're in a push-up position with your feet pushing on a wall. 20 seconds. Then bring one leg to your chest and the other pushing the wall. Switch. Then bring your right leg across to the left side of your chest. Switch. Then a mountain climber. Remaining in a plank. Rest 10 seconds Inbetween each.

GO!
For some reason it didn't load. I added the rest
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #1004
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
F@ck! I need to get my ass down to CSULA on my off day. LOL!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #1005
DylloS

Quote:
My whole post didn't load at first. I edited it

Hang squat is a hang clean and basically catching it down into a squat.
that's what I figured

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
F@ck! I need to get my ass down to CSULA on my off day. LOL!
I'm jelly
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #1006
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
that's what I figured

I'm jelly

I'll be jelly - literally - after he sends my sore ass home packing after one of those workouts.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #1007
BreakMyWallet

thanks fellas. todays was really good. dont even want to feel my abs/legs tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #1008
M3Inline6

Quote:

thanks fellas. todays was really good. dont even want to feel my abs/legs tomorrow.
How are your abs/legs feeling today bro?

P.S. Today is squat/shoulder press/chin-up day.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #1009
DylloS

I'm going to lower my deadlift weight and try 3x5 tomorrow. My form was sh1tty on 1x5 at 275 and I want to correct that.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1010
M3Inline6

Quote:
I'm going to lower my deadlift weight and try 3x5 tomorrow. My form was sh1tty on 1x5 at 275 and I want to correct that.

That's a great way to self-check your ego. Well done! More people should follow a similar methodology (..when they realize that the weight is too much to maintain proper form/ROM).
Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #1011
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
I did exactly that, and it helped tremendously. I was doing 1x5 at 280 on stronglift routine, switched programs and went for 3x5 at 255 and hurt myself. Be careful what weight you pick, because three sets is WAY more fatiguing than one, regardless of weight, I've noticed I need to be extra mindful of form on last set since I'm burnt out. But you feel it way more the next day, not a fan of the 1x5 all out deadlift.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #1012
DylloS

Quote:
That's a great way to self-check your ego. Well done! More people should follow a similar methodology (..when they realize that the weight is too much to maintain proper form/ROM).
It's especially hard for someone trying to get stronger like me lol. I know for a fact 3x5 at 225 will be more exhausting than 1x5 at 275 though so that helps me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I did exactly that, and it helped tremendously. I was doing 1x5 at 280 on stronglift routine, switched programs and went for 3x5 at 255 and hurt myself. Be careful what weight you pick, because three sets is WAY more fatiguing than one, regardless of weight, I've noticed I need to be extra mindful of form on last set since I'm burnt out. But you feel it way more the next day, not a fan of the 1x5 all out deadlift.
Yea I'm dropping to 225
Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #1013
M3Inline6

Quote:
You just need to rest more. You probably didn't allow yourself enough recovery time. I was previously doing a 5 x 5 style program (..with weight ranging between 225 and 275) prior to moving to a progressive approach, and I never hurt myself.........but I'm also not racing a clock either.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-26-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #1014
BreakMyWallet

Rolled out of bed and my abs literally tensed up like a cramp. Pretty brutal. Went to lift just now but nothing worth posting. Random stuff
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #1015
M3Inline6

Quote:
Rolled out of bed and my abs literally tensed up like a cramp. Pretty brutal. Went to lift just now but nothing worth posting. Random stuff
My abs have historically cramped up during/after extended/isolated ab work. It's so weird. It happens whether I'm hydrated or not.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #1016
dabears

Quote:
You just need to rest more. You probably didn't allow yourself enough recovery time. I was previously doing a 5 x 5 style program (..with weight ranging between 225 and 275) prior to moving to a progressive approach, and I never hurt myself.........but I'm also not racing a clock either.
I know exactly what I was doing, and now that I'm in the heavier weight range my bad habits caught up to me. I would do a set of 5, and I would set myself, lift the bar up, then go down, touch the bar to ground, and lift it again. This led to being tired and bad form

This week I would set bar back on ground, let go of it, stand up and catch breath, then go for the next rep. Huge difference, and I felt like I could go much heavier next week!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #1017
M3Inline6

Quote:
I know exactly what I was doing, and now that I'm in the heavier weight range my bad habits caught up to me. I would do a set of 5, and I would set myself, lift the bar up, then go down, touch the bar to ground, and lift it again. This led to being tired and bad form

This week I would set bar back on ground, let go of it, stand up and catch breath, then go for the next rep. Huge difference, and I felt like I could go much heavier next week!

Or that! Glad that you rectified it.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #1018
dabears

Quote:
Or that! Glad that you rectified it.
I usually take 2 minutes timed on my phone between sets, probably more like 2.5 by the time I click the timer after set and then actually lift on the next one... I try and listen to my body, if I'm absolutely gassed I'll hold off but I like to maintain an intensity throughout, 2 minutes is usually more than enough to feel ready again.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #1019
M3Inline6

Quote:
I usually take 2 minutes timed on my phone between sets, probably more like 2.5 by the time I click the timer after set and then actually lift on the next one... I try and listen to my body, if I'm absolutely gassed I'll hold off but I like to maintain an intensity throughout, 2 minutes is usually more than enough to feel ready again.

That time may or may not increase as you get into the heavy poundage. After a squat set of....sayyyy.....375 lbs., there is no way that 2 minutes is enough recovery time for me.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-26-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #1020
dabears

Quote:
That time may or may not increase as you get into the heavy poundage. After a squat set of....sayyyy.....375 lbs., there is no way that 2 minutes is enough recovery time for me.
As I've progressed, I notice that weights that felt very heavy before (say a 135lb bar) feel feather light and I have no problem lifting them around.

Do you still experience the same thing at a 375lb squat with say a 225 lb bar? Or is it still "heavy", but easily doable?