E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #1841
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW

Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #1842
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
Alright here are my numbers, don't laugh. I SAID DON'T LAUGH!!

6'2" 220lbs

Squat 225x4
Deadlift 285x1
Bench 275x1

Standing OHP 135x8
Standing t-bar row 225x5

Chin-Ups 1st set @ 7-8
Pull Ups 1st set @ 5-7, following sets are 2-4 rep range
Dips x10

I'm gonna continue on with lifting 3 days a week, following that minimalist approach. My focus for the past 4 weeks has been DL and squats. Although I saw progess in the DLs, the squats haven't changed much.

Continue squatting 2x a week or just have a designated leg day where I spend 45 minutes of them?
i had the same problem with squats, too. Im your height so it makes sense. What has worked for me has been uni lateral movements for accessory work. Also do some explosive stuff. I imagine like almost all people, you get stuck in the hole. Maybe if your knees are brittle try a pause at the bottom. Or BOX SQUATS!!! Box squats are money if you have a box.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #1843
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyworld View Post
i had the same problem with squats, too. Im your height so it makes sense. What has worked for me has been uni lateral movements for accessory work. Also do some explosive stuff. I imagine like almost all people, you get stuck in the hole. Maybe if your knees are brittle try a pause at the bottom. Or BOX SQUATS!!! Box squats are money if you have a box.
I love pausing at the bottom. The weight has to be a lot less but it feels so good
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #1844
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
I haven't had a chance to lift how I've wanted because I focked up the tendon that connects to my hamstring along with my rotator cuff so I'm limited. I did throw up 425 box squats x2 today that I was pretty happy with and didn't really bother my leg.

Hopefully I can do the snatch/burpee open wod workout tomorrow

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 03-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #1845
DylloS

Doing this today...

Dat Volume
Workout of the day:
3x5 Front Squats hoping for 190lbs
1x10 Pause Front Squats Probably 115
EMOM (every minute on the minute) for 10 minutes.
2 205lb Back Squats.
3x10 Romanian Deadlifts 175lbs
3x10 24" Box Step ups w/ 50lb DB's
50 20" Box Jumps for time

2 lap Spring around the neighborhood (Roughly 500m)

walking tomorrow...lol
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #1846
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Haha that looks great actually volume wise, I personally wouldn't do the box jumps but I have a feeling you'll want to die after those.

I forgot to try your previous leg workout
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #1847
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Haha that looks great actually volume wise, I personally wouldn't do the box jumps but I have a feeling you'll want to die after those.

I forgot to try your previous leg workout
Why no box jumps? My calves were fried the next day from them...and 3 days after as well.

This leg workout is close to the other one. I'm a little nervous about the back squats because the 185lb squats a few weeks ago tweaked my back. I think I'll be ok though.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #1848
dabears

Box jumps are great but I've just been focusing on increasing my raw strength, after this summer I will have plenty of added "conditioning" type exercises like these, most likely just have three heavy days and then a conditioning day + hockey. I don't like to mix the two together
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #1849
DylloS

Quote:
Box jumps are great but I've just been focusing on increasing my raw strength, after this summer I will have plenty of added "conditioning" type exercises like these, most likely just have three heavy days and then a conditioning day + hockey. I don't like to mix the two together
I haven't done many conditioning work but I'm slowly adding it back in. IMO some of the best workouts have been combining the two. Yea you can get stronger by just doing big lifts and can get more conditioned by doing just conditioning but nothing beats you up like lifting heavy weights fast.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #1850
dabears

Lol I don't think those two go together? (Heavy and fast)? What's your definition of "heavy"? Mine is what I can lift for 5 reps or less, there's no way I'm pulling 315 on a deadlift (very heavy for me) with any speed.

Nothing wrong with combining the two in same day, I just prefer to separate and space out so for example ill have 60 min workouts 4 days a week compared with the alternative of maybe 90 minute workouts 3 days a week.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #1851
DylloS

Quote:
Lol I don't think those two go together? (Heavy and fast)? What's your definition of "heavy"? Mine is what I can lift for 5 reps or less, there's no way I'm pulling 315 on a deadlift (very heavy for me) with any speed.

Nothing wrong with combining the two in same day, I just prefer to separate and space out so for example ill have 60 min workouts 4 days a week compared with the alternative of maybe 90 minute workouts 3 days a week.
Ok not heavy heavy but here's an example.

5 rounds
3 155lb power cleans
10 70lb KB swings
30 double unders

I think I just accidentally made up an awesome wod

Last edited by DylloS; 03-13-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #1852
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Ok not heavy heavy but here's an example.

5 rounds
3 155lb power cleans
10 70lb KB swings
30 double unders

I think I just accidentally made up an awesome wod
I dig it. I wish something like that would come up in the open.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #1853
dabears

That looks awesome (I want to learn cleans and snatches so bad, I love complex lifts).

I think the main difference between strength building and heavy conditioning is the rest times... One you are waiting until you feel you are ready (3-5 mins sometimes) building raw power..the other has a time goal which pushes you and increases your muscular endurance / cardio
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #1854
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I dig it. I wish something like that would come up in the open.
If they did this it would be 185lbs, 88lb over head, and 90 double unders lol.

If you do this one let me know and Maybe I'll do it on Saturday. I haven't been doing double unders lately but I will try it.

Quote:
That looks awesome (I want to learn cleans and snatches so bad, I love complex lifts).

I think the main difference between strength building and heavy conditioning is the rest times... One you are waiting until you feel you are ready (3-5 mins sometimes) building raw power..the other has a time goal which pushes you and increases your muscular endurance / cardio
Yea the thing is after a few rounds this 155lb pc will feel like 185. Go look at my log at the bench workout I did. It was awesome. Light but felt so heavy.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #1855
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
If they did this it would be 185lbs, 88lb over head, and 90 double unders lol.

If you do this one let me know and Maybe I'll do it on Saturday. I haven't been doing double unders lately but I will try it.

Yea the thing is after a few rounds this 155lb pc will feel like 185. Go look at my log at the bench workout I did. It was awesome. Light but felt so heavy.
Today is a rare off day for me, but maybe I will try it tomorrow depending on what comes up in the open when the workout is released tonight.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #1856
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Today is a rare off day for me, but maybe I will try it tomorrow depending on what comes up in the open when the workout is released tonight.
ok cool. I heard Camille was supposed to do it tonight but a last minute change was made. That made me sad. I am in love with her.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #1857
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
I've altered my workouts a bit now. I'm going super heavy less often, and I've begun doing random endurance tests before my actual workout to mix things up. Yesterday I squatted 50 reps using 225 lbs. for time. I managed to do it in 3 min, 28 seconds. I then followed up with power cleans using 135 lbs. @ 50 reps for time, and managed that in about 11 minutes (..including a water break because my throat got dry as f@ck ). Today I did a timed front squat test using 185 lbs., and managed that in a tad over 6 minutes. I'm going to beat all of those times!!!!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 03-14-2013 at 12:26 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #1858
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I've altered my workouts a bit now. I'm going super heavy less often, and I've begun doing random endurance tests before my actual workout to mix things up. Yesterday I squatted 50 reps using 225 lbs. for time. I managed to do it in 3 min, 28 seconds. I then followed up with power cleans using 135 lbs. @ 50 reps for time, and managed that in about 11 minutes (..including a water break because my throat got dry as f@ck ). Today I did a timed front squat test using 185 lbs., and managed that in a tad over 6 minutes. I'm going to beat all of those times!!!!
awesome man. Mix some things together and you're doing workouts like some of us. Although I haven't done then recently I will be getting those in next month.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #1859
DylloS

doing this today

20 Hand Stand Push Ups
30 155lb Power Cleans for time
6x1 165lb Push Press
Tabata (20 seconds on 10 seconds rest x 8 rounds) 30lb Dumbbell Push Press

3x15 Ring Dips
3x8Close Grip Bench Press
100 Bench Dips
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #1860
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
Quote:
doing this today

20 Hand Stand Push Ups
30 155lb Power Cleans for time
6x1 165lb Push Press
Tabata (20 seconds on 10 seconds rest x 8 rounds) 30lb Dumbbell Push Press

3x15 Ring Dips
3x8Close Grip Bench Press
100 Bench Dips
Mike, I honestly have no idea what half the exercises are that you post. I need to read up.

I'm doing legs, lower body today. Been going fairly light since getting back into the gym. Still having problems with my herniated disk, but I'm gonna try to re-incorporate squats and BB lunges for the first time today since my original back injury last summer. Got my Percs on hand and taking extra time loosening up and stretching before and after in the jacuzzi and rolling out.

Here's hoping I can get out of bed and walk tomorrow.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote