E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
nycice

My Ride: 2003 E46 330Ci
Thumbs Up Custom LED parking/turn signal lamp.

Well its been quite sometime since I've posted on here, been busy with work and what not. Anyways so I had a little free time today so I began building another set of my custom LED turn signals. I have seen LED parking/turn signal lamps, but I never really cared for the design of them. Below is a small picture showing the passenger side with the clear corners I previously had on the car and the driver side sporting my custom made LED corner. No reflectors, clear lens, about 60 amber LEDs on each, and flat black paint. I will post more pictures later on. Feedback welcome.
nycice is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Looks great. Here's my plan for the turn signals, with less LEDs than yours. How are you controlling the bulb out warning? .Still have not selected LEDs to be used, but I want powerful ones. I'll also get the lcm coded for corner delete.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Looks great. I'm just wondering, though, are you guys starting with the non-LED ones and making the PCB's? Or are you using the LED ones DEPO makes and upgrading/customizing them?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=866110 (for explanation of the difference)

(for comparison)

I love this project, I love to see guys tweaking and perfecting beyond what is available off-the-shelf. You know, that's how we perfected Angel Eyes back in 05-07... guys were modding them and we PM'd them and said "hey... can we use your idea for chrome backings" or "hey.. can we use your idea for remote activation" - then implemented it into the new product revisions.

Keep innovating!

Last edited by Jlevi SW; 08-25-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
nycice

Jlevi, I start from scratch with clear parking lamps that have no reflectors built into them (pictured below). After they arrive I then carefully disassemble them, its a bit of a tedious process but well worth it in my opinion. I prefer these style lights because they are the perfect starting point. They offer the largest open space giving me plenty of room to create my design. Another reason why I love these lights is because our E46s have recessed headlamps behind the lens (which looks amazing). These lights offer me a recessed lamp behind the lens as well unlike other products on the market. The LEDs can sit back with no fancy covers or bars in front of them.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
nycice

Intelone, I have been producing many different types of LED lamps and housings over the last six years, within the last year or so I have gotten pretty heavy into building and customizing executive trucks, limos, party bus's exc. The way I have been wiring my LEDs is by using a voltage regulator with heat sink and resistors, its always worked great for me and my clients. You can always build a LED driver which is how u can make LEDs run optimally with super long life, but its not super necessary. Basically a LED driver is a unit that cycles the bulbs on and off hundreds of times a second (hence why when you video the rear of a E46 with LED tail lights they flicker in the video). As far as which LED you should use comes down to your preference, for simplicity I would go with a self contained LED with built in reflector/projector housing like I use. However you can get 120 degree wide viewing angle LEDs that are a pod type but, they are more expensive, cant be drilled and placed, and usually require a reflector for optimal light dispersion. Most times you would use a pod type for a custom housing that is chrome or reflective with little mirrors, or to illuminate your dash buttons for example. Take a look at a Prius brake light, it has pod type LEDs with about 20 little mirrors surrounding it. If you look at a 03 Mustang Cobra on the other hand it uses the same type of bulbs as I use for its third brake light.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Topazine

My Ride: '02 330i
Do you have pics of others you have done?

Formerly: TheBeerAssassin
Topazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
robmpulse

My Ride: E46 330i Mtech + E30
Ummm, more pics, please....

Tired of seeing cabrio specific info showing up in your search results when you don't have a cabrio?

Either way, head over here and VOTE! Everyone can benefit. It takes only mins to actually set up, so there really is no good reason not to have one!!!

Click here to submit your vote!
robmpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
rmodys

My Ride: 2001 325i
I love your design, it looks much more OEM than what's out on the market right now. In for finished result.
rmodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycice View Post
Intelone, I have been producing many different types of LED lamps and housings over the last six years, within the last year or so I have gotten pretty heavy into building and customizing executive trucks, limos, party bus's exc. The way I have been wiring my LEDs is by using a voltage regulator with heat sink and resistors, its always worked great for me and my clients. You can always build a LED driver which is how u can make LEDs run optimally with super long life, but its not super necessary. Basically a LED driver is a unit that cycles the bulbs on and off hundreds of times a second (hence why when you video the rear of a E46 with LED tail lights they flicker in the video). As far as which LED you should use comes down to your preference, for simplicity I would go with a self contained LED with built in reflector/projector housing like I use. However you can get 120 degree wide viewing angle LEDs that are a pod type but, they are more expensive, cant be drilled and placed, and usually require a reflector for optimal light dispersion. Most times you would use a pod type for a custom housing that is chrome or reflective with little mirrors, or to illuminate your dash buttons for example. Take a look at a Prius brake light, it has pod type LEDs with about 20 little mirrors surrounding it. If you look at a 03 Mustang Cobra on the other hand it uses the same type of bulbs as I use for its third brake light.
Wow, that sounds complicated. I don't know where to start. Voltage regulators and resistors are really confusing me. I think I'll end my quest to build a set of LED corner lights. I don't really know much about electronics; have never build anything that complicated.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
LA Prince
Banned User

My Ride: Not Your Business
Lightbulb

Nice....maybe you could come into production one day
LA Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
sweetdealkevin

My Ride: CI
some one should do a LED turn signals on the front in the shape of the BMW emblem i think itd look pretty cool!

Tags
custom, led, lights, parking, signal