E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
buckeyebradley

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
should I change my oil again?

I am very new to this so please don't bust my junk too much for asking this but, I did my first oil change on my 2002 330i yesterday and used Valvoline Synpower 5w30 based on a recommendation. I have since been told that it was supposed to be a European formula that I cannot find. On the BMW website it states that Valvoline Synpower 5w30 is approved but it does not specify European formula. I change my oil every 3-4k, so will it hurt to run this oil or do I need to repeat the process again?

"

B
buckeyebradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
You will be fine. Your car will not explode. Well, if it does explode, it would have exploded anyway, even if you used BMW oil.

Relax - especially with the short oil change interval you are planning.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
You'll be fine. Just run BMW oil if you want to make it easier.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
You will be fine....
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You are supposed to uses XYZ, or equivelent. You selected equivelent because you cannot find XYZ. Don't sweat the small sh_t.

You need to abandon your oil change interval that you have adopted. Once upon a time there was a reason to do what you do, but the reason no longer exists for at least two other reasons, oil is better today than it once was and your car hold almost twice as much oil as engines held when that interval was recommended.

There is not an automobile manufacturer in America -- sells, not builds -- that recommends the oil change interval you use. The oil change stores still recommend it, but they sell oil. I sell steaks, so I recommend that you have steak at least twice a week. Oil used to break down due to heat and time, but they have reformulated it to better withstand these two things. Your car also carries almost double the normal capacity of motor oil, so it does not get nearly as hot in your car as in other cars that carry less oil.

BMW engineers have figured out how to program the computer to tell you when to change the oil. If you make lots of short tirps, then the change interval is short because the operational mode that you use is hard on the oil. If you make long trips mostly, then the oil change interval is streched because this type of operation is easily supported. If you used Full Synthetic motor oil, it will not break down like the dinosaur oil that you learned to change on the short intervals that you use. Buy the good oil and let it remain as long as the engineers let the car caluclate. Reset the oil change monitor on each oil change and let the car do what the car does. You paid extra for it, let it do it.

You have purchased what some would consider to be the most well designed automobile to ever troll the highways and byways of the planet, yet you elect to take a very easily controlled function and throw it out the window. I don't get it.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
^ Can I have a free steak?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
buckeyebradley

gf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You are supposed to uses XYZ, or equivelent. You selected equivelent because you cannot find XYZ. Don't sweat the small sh_t.

You need to abandon your oil change interval that you have adopted. Once upon a time there was a reason to do what you do, but the reason no longer exists for at least two other reasons, oil is better today than it once was and your car hold almost twice as much oil as engines held when that interval was recommended.

There is not an automobile manufacturer in America -- sells, not builds -- that recommends the oil change interval you use. The oil change stores still recommend it, but they sell oil. I sell steaks, so I recommend that you have steak at least twice a week. Oil used to break down due to heat and time, but they have reformulated it to better withstand these two things. Your car also carries almost double the normal capacity of motor oil, so it does not get nearly as hot in your car as in other cars that carry less oil.

BMW engineers have figured out how to program the computer to tell you when to change the oil. If you make lots of short tirps, then the change interval is short because the operational mode that you use is hard on the oil. If you make long trips mostly, then the oil change interval is streched because this type of operation is easily supported. If you used Full Synthetic motor oil, it will not break down like the dinosaur oil that you learned to change on the short intervals that you use. Buy the good oil and let it remain as long as the engineers let the car caluclate. Reset the oil change monitor on each oil change and let the car do what the car does. You paid extra for it, let it do it.

You have purchased what some would consider to be the most well designed automobile to ever troll the highways and byways of the planet, yet you elect to take a very easily controlled function and throw it out the window. I don't get it.

I have my hang ups. One of them is changing my oil every 3 or 4k. I drove for many years when all manufacturers recommended every 3k, and it took a long time for me to feel comfortable enough to stretch it to 4. As you stated earlier, you sell steak. BMW sells cars and they won't sell as many if the old ones run forever. According to my cars cpu, I should only be changing the oil every 15k. You have a better chance of hitting the powerball than of me letting that happen.

"

B
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebradley View Post
gf

I have my hang ups. One of them is changing my oil every 3 or 4k. I drove for many years when all manufacturers recommended every 3k, and it took a long time for me to feel comfortable enough to stretch it to 4. As you stated earlier, you sell steak. BMW sells cars and they won't sell as many if the old ones run forever. According to my cars cpu, I should only be changing the oil every 15k. You have a better chance of hitting the powerball than of me letting that happen.
I get that 15K is hard to go with, but there has to be a medium between changing oil far too often and far too infrequently.

Consider that BMW is picking up the warranty coverage for 100,000 miles based on a change interval of 15,000 miles. Would they do that if the oil could not go 20,000 miles in their engines?

You learned a good habit on bad oil. Now you need to relearn the habit with good oil.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
"gf"? (Can you translate that for me, OP? I'm sort of old and not up on all the acronyms).

Anyway, what JD said, in his very GN kind of way is right.

But, something else. Because you're not taking advantage of the benefits of leaving synthetic in for over 5K miles at least, you're losing a benefit of the new oil.

I won't say you're hurting your engine, but you sort of are...if you want to keep it a real long time. Synthetic deposits a film inside the engine after 5K and you want it there...it's an extra layer of protection between moving metal parts.

My compromise is around 10K miles now...that's probably about it. But, you need to read oil threads. You're basing your 3-4K miles on what your father and grandfather did to take good care of their cars. Now, by applying that same OCI, you're actually hurting the car, by not giving it the benefits synthetic oil provides.

Just trust me, OP. Everyone here will tell you to. I'm actually one of the only real life fanatics. The rest here are mostly just Internet characters and not real. Most are just created by the list owner through this awesome 'fanatic emulator' he designed. It's amazing how real some of them seem, though, isn't it?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
"gf"?
girlfriend.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
You are looking at a write off.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
JimJai323

Location: Van(BC),Cal(AB)Canada.....moved now in Hong Kong...and China
My Ride: '01 530iA, '05 750Li
I'm always confused by this OCI.

I run either Mobil 1 0w40 (in summer heat where it can reach +38C to +42C), and Castrol Syntec 0W30 when ambient temp are cooler.

Oil change intervals are around the 5000km mark, and everytime I drain the oil, its black and dark. I have run a used oil analysis and Blackstone recommend my oil change interval to be around 7000km to 8000km.

I drive my car hard, with extensive and sometimes long idling in summer heat and that depends if I'm stuck at a border crossing or just stuck in heavy traffic.

SO I guess in this case, oil changes are based on actual driving conditions.....do this make sense?
'06 BMW 750Li Individual (WTO Version)
'09 Mazda3 1.6 AT Delux

Glad to get rid of the Benz.........never again will I buy a Mercedes....
JimJai323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
TX78666

My Ride: 330i ZHP, N55 135i
When I was a starving college student, I went 12,000 miles between changes, because that's how long it took for the change in the couch to accumulate enough to cover the oil change.

130,000 miles without a problem.

So, years later, when I could afford an oil change every 3,000 miles, I stuck with 12,000 and decided 3,000 was a scam.

Again, well over 100,000 miles with no problems.

Never looked back. Usually go at least 150,000 miles these days, since I am doing 30,000 per year.

Our e46 is just over 140,000. Our Tundra is just about to roll over to 100,000. The 135 will go in at 15,000. The idea that BMW would suggest these intervals, to make the cars die a premature death seems hard to believe, for me.

Since I drive so much, it was not uncommon for me (when I was under warranty and BMW was doing the work) to drive a 2-4,000 miles after the service interval hit, because I couldn't get in right away. Nobody ever said boo. Nobody at BMW ever threatened to void my warranty for going 18-20k between oil changes.

Conservatively, I'd say that my wife and I have done somewhere in the neighborhood of 750,000 miles, at 12-15k per oil change, without an issue. YMMV, but I'll never even consider a 3,000 mile oil change, or anything close, again.

TX78666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
buckeyebradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
girlfriend.
Too funny!

I didn't mean for it to be used as an acronymn. I am so new to forums that this is the first one I have ever used. I was trying to figure out how to reply with quoted text and it told me I had to type at least two characters and I just hit two buttons and that is what happened. I wanted to type after the quote and just forgot to delete the two characters I typed before the quoted text.

"

B
Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
dmax

Quote:
Too funny!

I didn't mean for it to be used as an acronymn. I am so new to forums that this is the first one I have ever used. I was trying to figure out how to reply with quoted text and it told me I had to type at least two characters and I just hit two buttons and that is what happened. I wanted to type after the quote and just forgot to delete the two characters I typed before the quoted text.
Hmmm? I'm pretty sure 'gf' means something other than girlfriend...trying to remember what it might be?

Go longer on your oil, buckeye. Are you convinced or do you need more convincing? Read oil threads until you see LL-01 oil oozing out your ears...then decide on your new OCI!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
buckeyebradley

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will let it go to at least 4001 miles this time.

Baby steps to squash my anxiety

"

B
Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
dmax

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will let it go to at least 4001 miles this time.

Baby steps to squash my anxiety
That wouldn't make any difference at all. If you want to baby your car and have it go the distance, I'd recommend reading more oil threads...specifically about the film that develops. I'm not making this up...one of the few times I haven't!

Srs, though, go 7-8K miles at least...that's baby steps for a car that car easily go 3-500K miles. Just watch me! I'm on my way!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
When I was a starving college student, I went 12,000 miles between changes, because that's how long it took for the change in the couch to accumulate enough to cover the oil change.

130,000 miles without a problem.

So, years later, when I could afford an oil change every 3,000 miles, I stuck with 12,000 and decided 3,000 was a scam.

Again, well over 100,000 miles with no problems.

Never looked back. Usually go at least 150,000 miles these days, since I am doing 30,000 per year.

Our e46 is just over 140,000. Our Tundra is just about to roll over to 100,000. The 135 will go in at 15,000. The idea that BMW would suggest these intervals, to make the cars die a premature death seems hard to believe, for me.

Since I drive so much, it was not uncommon for me (when I was under warranty and BMW was doing the work) to drive a 2-4,000 miles after the service interval hit, because I couldn't get in right away. Nobody ever said boo. Nobody at BMW ever threatened to void my warranty for going 18-20k between oil changes.

Conservatively, I'd say that my wife and I have done somewhere in the neighborhood of 750,000 miles, at 12-15k per oil change, without an issue. YMMV, but I'll never even consider a 3,000 mile oil change, or anything close, again.
I'm suprised that the envirowhackos are not picketing in front of the Oil Change Joint down the street because it advertises on the radio that you need to change at 3,000 miles. Hell, I suprised that the envirowhackos do not picket the radio station for running the spot...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
buckeyebradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
That wouldn't make any difference at all. If you want to baby your car and have it go the distance, I'd recommend reading more oil threads...specifically about the film that develops. I'm not making this up...one of the few times I haven't!

Srs, though, go 7-8K miles at least...that's baby steps for a car that car easily go 3-500K miles. Just watch me! I'm on my way!
I was joking about the 4001 miles. The baby steps are my baby steps to get past my old school thinking and habit of changing the oil every 3k. I will let it go considerably longer this time, just not the full 12-15 k yet.

"

B
Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Synpower 5W30 doesn't meet spec (LL01). Synpower MST 5W30 does. Can't be easier than that.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote