E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
Airbag Light

Not sure where I should post this but i guess here.

MY airbag light is on and i dont feel like paying the dealership $128 to reset it...I have to check the code but i think it just needs a reset. Anyone in NJ have the tool to reset it?
More info forgot to put in the first time I typed this the module for the airbags was replaced.

Its a long shot but it beats paying the dealership.

Will update with the code later today when I have free time...assuming my scanner can read the code
JQuick5156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuick5156 View Post
Not sure where I should post this but i guess here.

MY airbag light is on and i dont feel like paying the dealership $128 to reset it...I have to check the code but i think it just needs a reset. Anyone in NJ have the tool to reset it?
More info forgot to put in the first time I typed this the module for the airbags was replaced.

Its a long shot but it beats paying the dealership.

Will update with the code later today when I have free time...assuming my scanner can read the code
Pretty sure Solidjake has one, but check out your regional forums when you need some local help. Although I'm sure he'll be on this thread in a minute.

Also for future reference you should invest in the peake scan/reset tools if you plan to keep the car long or even another e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
JQuick5156

ya i should but i am a bit tight with money...but with the economy the way it is who isn't. Ill PM him see what he says thank you. And in the future I will probably get one.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yup, if you want to come to Queens I can reset it and check what else is wrong with your car.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
JQuick5156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Yup, if you want to come to Queens I can reset it and check what else is wrong with your car.
damn that was fast i just sent a PM to you xD I wont know my work schedule till monday when is good for you next week....long drive but more fun then paying the dealer.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
dustinSB

My Ride: United States
Does anyone know where to plug-in the airbag reset tool on an E46 or better yet, have a photo? I've searched everywhere and can only come up with pictures of the module or the port in the engine compartment on an E36. I'm totally stumped. :/ Thanks!
dustinSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
on my e46 its the odb port? located above my clutch foot...

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
XXRUSIANXX

My Ride: '04 330i
why do you think it just needs a reset?
Pass. seat sensors are common on e46s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinSB View Post
Does anyone know where to plug-in the airbag reset tool on an E46 or better yet, have a photo? I've searched everywhere and can only come up with pictures of the module or the port in the engine compartment on an E36. I'm totally stumped. :/ Thanks!

Airbag module communication is through DLC connector and on older models its done through the round connector in the engine bay
Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
dustinSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXRUSIANXX View Post
why do you think it just needs a reset?
Pass. seat sensors are common on e46s.

Airbag module communication is through DLC connector and on older models its done through the round connector in the engine bay
I tripped the light fixing the broken window clip and plugging the battery in while I had the door airbag disconnected (got scared of it). I have a OBDII scanner in the mail and bought a separate attachment for the BMW airbag port that I thought I needed (hoping to avoid buying a separate airbag scanner/ tool), but now it looks like I that was a wasted $7 and the OBDII scanner/ reset tool should do the trick? If so, sweet.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
If your OBD scanner thing is capable of doing the air bags (not all can) and your E46 is newer, it should work. On my '01, I can manage the air bags.

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
dustinSB

Awesome - thanks!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
XXRUSIANXX

My Ride: '04 330i
What obd tool did you buy? Just curious.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
dustinSB

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXRUSIANXX View Post
What obd tool did you buy? Just curious.
Got a used "Cen-Tech 99722 OBD II/EOBD Code Scanner " for $35 on eBay. Hopefully, it will work with the airbag reset. I'll post once I get it in the mail and give it a shot.