E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
chandleg

My Ride: '01 330i Sport
P0011 and P0014 after VANOS rebuild.

I tore down the VANOS completely in my '01 330i, and rebuilt it.
I replaced the o-Rings, and the berings. Due to my lack of attention, I sheared the cam bolts {left hand threads}, and ended up replacing both of the cam spline caps.

While doing so I had to remove the timing gears, chain springs and misc parts.

I'm wondering if, when I put it together, I got it a little off, and now it thinks it's always advanced? I've cleared the codes, and they both keep coming back at the same time. {both cams read over-advanced timing}

When I started, I had the intake reading advanced, and the exhaust reading retarded, so that's why I rebuilt the VANOS cylinders. {and 165k miles}

Any suggestions?
chandleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
fotsir

My Ride: 2004 Lexus IS300
Don't know what the fault codes mean but am thinking either the cams or the sensor wheels are not aligned properly. Did you use any tools for timing? It's been awhile so I might be thinking of a newer motor.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
chandleg

I put everything back as I pulled it off, I tried really hard to not let the timing gear parts to fall apart as I pulled them off, but of course they did anyway.
I put all the pieces back at the same angles they were mounted when I took them off, but the exhaust timing gear completely fell out of the chain when I was moving it... I'm fairly certain it's all back the way it was, but I can't be 100% sure.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
SweetBMW

My Ride: 318CIA
No you did not get it back together correctly Thats for sure.

The VANOS is very sensitive to mis-assembly. IIRC the VANOS reacts to 3 degrees off timing before throwing codes, and i believe one tooth on the sprocket is around that. Not much that needs to be off before codes are thrown.

Take it to a local dealer and have them retime it. Shouldnt be too expensive.

I paid 3 hours labour here, and that was 3x 300$.

But it was worth it. Or you can buy the tools on Ebay

EDIT: The codes btw mean that your cams are advanced or retarded (rotated) too much. With regards to the timing of opening, closing, and duration of valve timing And by that I mean: your timing is off Because if you miss a tooth on the chain, the cam(s) will rotate too much to either retard or advance, and that will throw a code. Do you know how the VANOS works?

Its hydaullically (gotta learn to spell..) operated, and it pushes in on the pistons on the camshafts, which is on heliocal splines, which rotates when pushed. Thereby changing the positon of the cam. This is why the position of the cam gears and chain is CRITICAL.

EDIT 2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-D...item3f0bca6925

Last edited by SweetBMW; 08-28-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Descr. of codea
SweetBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
i was assuming reading this it was a single vanos, how did you manage to f it up with dual? i did mine, pretty easy imo

The Dual Vanos installation (E46, E39 6-cylinder) is also a very basic procedure that can be done by the average mechanic, and is not any more difficult than the Stage I single vanos installation. The cam gears and timing chains do not need to be removed, so there is no possibility of accidentally affecting the cam timing, and the BMW tools are not needed for the dual vanos installation.

so why did you remove the cam gears? sounds like you didn't do your homework prior

take it to desert, click neveda

http://www.drvanos.com/index.php?opt...d=99&Itemid=58

nm,i see you broke the bolts, yep, shoulda planned ahead bud,lesson learned

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 08-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
chandleg

Ok, so I re-did the timing tonight... I set the crank to TDC, then adjusted the intake cam. The Exhaust cam has never moved since it was fixed in place with the main chain.... After putting it back together, the intake is no longer throwing a code, but the ehaust cam still thinks it's over-advanced...

It's also got a rattle to it at idle, but that might be the oil still getting to all the parts it needs to. I'm wondering if something is wrong with the exhaust side VANOS piston? I know it's spring loaded, and I know that the spring is, very, almost rediculously tight... The piston moves in the VANOS, but I am wondering if I should tear it back apart and check it again?

Like I said, the exhaust cam is linked to the crank, and that has never been moved independantly, so I can't see any way it can be in the wrong position. All the allignment arrows were in the right place and the cam was squared up when I adjusted the intake. So I can't think of anything else at this point unless the VANOS is not working?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
SweetBMW

My Ride: 318CIA
I believe you got the timing right on the intake cam, but not the exhaust cam. You really should invest in the VANOS tools on Ebay my friend... I know I have. Never looked back on those 230 bucks spent.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto, 167k
I dont know, I used the timing tools and followed the directions exactly as writtin in the TIS and I still get the P0011 code. But it didnt come up right away. It only came up months after I finished my head gasket job. I also have a brand new fully rebuilt Vanos from my good friend Raj over at Beisan.

Is it bad to have the timing off like that? Car feels like it's running good.