E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
goosu94

My Ride: z3
Nurburgring

So, this summer I am making the trip over to Germany, and of course, I want to visit the ring. I found a place to rent an M3 CSL to take on the track. MY questions to you guys are, what is the best way to actually get here? As in airports to fly into, busses/trains to nurburg, etc. Any advice is appreciated.
goosu94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Looks like it is a 1.5 hour drive south of Dusseldorf. I took a flight once from either JFK or Newark directly to Dusseldorf. I can't remember if it was Lufthansa or Continental. That's a little closer than Frankfurt, which is almost a 2 hour drive from the south east.

Here's a map with the distances to airports nearby from the website of the track:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/ueberu...e/anfahrt.html

Last edited by tootall; 03-24-2012 at 01:48 PM.
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
You know as many times as ive been here, ive yet to make it to that sacred place and it doesnt look like this time will be any different.

I think the closest airport is dusseldorf, followed by frankfurt.

All i gotta say to you is, dont crash or even run off and damage the grass.
As for getting there, if you dont have a local to carry you around, i would guess the cheapest way is the train, You will most likely have to take multiple trains. Theyre generally on time, when theyre not broken down or on strike. The latter going on in some parts of the country now too. Break downs, not that common.

if you make it there, we demand pic overload and videos too. Gopro better be in bag.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Taunto

My Ride: 05 CB M3 SMG
If you could pm me the website you found where u are able to rent the csl. It would be very much appreciated thank u.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Bimmer App
Taunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
DallasE46

My Ride: M3,3 E30s,Jeep,bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by taunto View Post
if you could pm me the website you found where u are able to rent the csl. It would be very much appreciated thank u.

Sent from my htc-x710a using bimmer app
+1

2003.5 LSB SMG M3, 1992 E30 Mtech II, 1992 E30 Cabrio, 1990 E30 Coupe, Ducati 848, Triumph Daytona 675
DallasE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
CoulterM

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
Call me crazy, but isn't Koln/Cologne the closest city?

I drove The Ring last year and stayed in Cologne. Pretty sure you can just fly there.

Also, I hope you're 25 because they won't rent those cars if you're younger.

Enjoy it, film it etc...(you can rent GoPros at the track) and take it all in, it's everything you want it to be, I promise

EDIT: Stayed in Cologne, and rented a car from Sixt rentals (BMW 330d or something) and drove down for the day. So you get to hit the Autobahn AND The Ring in the same day. Pretty cool experience if you have never been.

Track: TRG 2011 Rolex Grand-Am 997 GT3 Cup
Daily: 2006 M3 ZCP

Last edited by CoulterM; 03-27-2012 at 06:26 PM.
CoulterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Yes, ^ 1hr 15 from there.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
goosu94

The car rental place is called RSR Nurburg. I am under 25, all I had to do was email them. William there informed me that anyone with a valid drivers license can rent their cars, but under 25 requires one lap of instruction before they turn you loose. Most rental agencies (other than those in Nurburg) have "ring clauses" which ban you taking their rental cars on the ring. Weird that under 25 you can rent an M3 for the Nurburgring but not a "normal" car to get to the track.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
goosu94

Update- The CSL is no longer available to rent. I am renting a lotus exige 240s and brand new e92 M3 (they just bought the thing last month). This will be a heck of a trip. Staying in Cologne, driving down in a rental. I want to video tape but it's unclear if I can. The ring says it's "illegal" to tape, yet they will rent you a camera.

Last edited by goosu94; 04-26-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Taunto

My Ride: 05 CB M3 SMG
Get a hidden camera lol. They rent u a camera so that u can buy the film lol. It's how they make money lol.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Bimmer App
Taunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
goosu94

I will for sure find a way to record this. I'm doing a road tour on some of the driving roads of the area....it will be in the lotus. Either way, this is something you have to tape.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
When I went 3 yrs ago, they would not allow any video recording. If you get caught, they threw you out. My wife was able to record about 1 min using her blackberry though.Managent changed not long after so it could be different now. I rented an E92 m3 from Sixt for a week for the same price RSR wanted for a few laps in an old Alpha. I never had a problem, but if I had crashed I'm sure it would of been bad.

Have a good time. It was that week that convinced me to buy an M3 as soon as I got back.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
razzoe

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Ci M
I drive on the Nürburgring Nordschleife 40-50 laps per Season (yes i live in Germany) and i would try to fly to frankfurt. It doesnt change that much if you drive 1h from Cologne or 1.5h from Frankfurt, but i guess the price will be much lower for flights to frankfurt!

Other than that i can just say: enjoy it! The Nordschleife is the most addictive racetrack i have ever been to and i cant stop spending my money there
razzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Gaz_jones

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsel View Post
When I went 3 yrs ago, they would not allow any video recording. If you get caught, they threw you out. My wife was able to record about 1 min using her blackberry though.Managent changed not long after so it could be different now. I rented an E92 m3 from Sixt for a week for the same price RSR wanted for a few laps in an old Alpha. I never had a problem, but if I had crashed I'm sure it would of been bad.

Have a good time. It was that week that convinced me to buy an M3 as soon as I got back.
If you go down this route, be very careful. They often have rental place employees at the ring keeping an eye out for their hire cars. I know plenty that have done it and not had any issues, but you always get the few horror stories that stick in your mind.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
Since RSR no longer does the CSL, anyone know of anywhere to get one or just an normal E46 M3?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
goosu94

Alpin: I will be there to have my fun time next week, I will keep an eye out and ask around foryoum
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
razzoe

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Ci M
Sixt was offering an M3 Cabriolet for 700€ per week. Otherwise try the company Rent4Ring... they have special prepared Tracktools for the ring.
razzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosu94 View Post
Alpin: I will be there to have my fun time next week, I will keep an eye out and ask around foryoum
I'll be there around the same time but probably won't be able to get to the ring til a bit later in the summer. But thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzoe View Post
Sixt was offering an M3 Cabriolet for 700€ per week. Otherwise try the company Rent4Ring... they have special prepared Tracktools for the ring.

700€ per WEEK? Every site I've seen doesn't do more than 5 laps of the ring for that kind of money.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
goosu94

Hey if anyone is in or around the cologne or nurburgring area july 14-16 I'd be more than happy to meet up
Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
yagesz

My Ride: 05 M3 SG/IR
I am military living here in germany. The Ring is actually 30 minutes from my house and I have an 05 M3. If you have any questions let me know. I know who to ask. But in regards to camera. it just depends on the day. I have a GoPro. Some days they ***** and tell me to dismount it. Others they just shrug. When You rent a camera you actually rent a GoPro.

2005 Space Grey M3 w/ Imola Red Interior 6MT

My Build:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934353
yagesz is offline   Reply With Quote