E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
M Powah

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Degraded Intake Boot - Cold start problems fixed!

After reading various post on how dirty the ICV could get, I decided to take a look at mine. While furiously working on removing the horribly positioned hose clamps on the throttle body intake boot, I noticed that the line that runs to to the ICV off of the main air intake was just hanging in there by a thread! This was really surprising to me partly because I expected the idle control valve to be responsible for the shoddy idling and also the car has just under 63,000 miles on it; A little low for the intake boot to be falling apart don't you think?

There was also a nice little tear right where the hose mated with the ICV which made removing the hose without tearing it in two a bit more difficult.

I started to figure out a way to patch this... After cleaning the boot down with heavy amounts of starting fluid ,I found some clear plastic hose laying around that is just the right diameter so that it is snug in side the line and also fits inside of the ICV as well... Score! There was also some braided hose laying around that might be a bit more crimp resistant and better for this application but sadly it was just a bit too small. I then cut the hose at an angle so that it was flush with the main intake part of the boot that leads to the throttle body.

And as a finishing touch... duct tape!

Needless to say this was an improvement. The car now starts right up when cold with out any low rpm dips and stalls that use to happen almost every time. The ICV turned out to be in excellent condition and rattled freely when shaken (I still gave it a nice brake cleaner bath). When it's all said and done; well worth the time and effort vs. driving around with a bad intake boot until a new one comes. If you're having bad idling problems you should defiantly take a look at your ICV and give it a good cleaning and who knows what you might find while you're in there!

By the way - I'm new here. Well sorta. Long time lurker, first time poster! I thought what better way to say "Hi" than to make a nice little write-up. Even if it was just about patching an intake boot!
M Powah is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
RXP rider

My Ride: E46 325Ci 04'
Nice fix, but the replacement boot is like $11.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
M Powah

I know, the boot was just something I noticed while cleaning the ICV and looked like it needed to be fixed now. I'm really glad I did patch it up though and I'll be ordering a new one tonight; It's on my to-do list.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
At least you taped it up for now. I hope you used my ICV vid
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
M Powah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
At least you taped it up for now. I hope you used my ICV vid
Not exclusively but I definitely referenced it alot! Pretty good job explaining how to get that out.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Nice, thanks.

Get that new boot!
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
M Powah

Will do! Not gonna let that sit in there for too much longer that's for sure
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Ruf

My Ride: 03 ZHP Imola Red
This was really surprising to me partly because I expected the idle control valve to be responsible for the shoddy idling and also the car has just under 63,000 miles on it; A little low for the intake boot to be falling apart don't you think?

The intake boot failure is not mileage dependent, it's time based, since the rubber dries out over time. If there was a silicon dressing applied to the hoses, it might prolong the life of these parts, but otherwise, it's just a sign of old age.
Ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
M Powah

A valid point. I'm just glad I found that before it got worse or I started to blame other parts.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Nice gloves

Glad you got your car running good though. That piece is a serious wear item.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
M Powah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Nice gloves
Hey, those gloves are great! Well... when they fit of course... which these ones don't
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
luc

My Ride: '04 325i
hahah why didnt you just buy a new one.. now you have to take it off twice and that thing is in a tight spot.
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
M Powah

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
hahah why didnt you just buy a new one.. now you have to take it off twice and that thing is in a tight spot.
This has already been addressed. I wanted to patch it up while I was rooting around in there. I don't have a warehouse of OEM bimmer parts now do I? Don't worry though, a new one is on it's way soon.

Edit: Oh, and the practice taking off all those other parts is always nice too
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
Gotta do this too...

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
i think my intake boot is F*ed up as well. whistles like a teapot at high rpms.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #16
M Powah

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
i think my intake boot is F*ed up as well. whistles like a teapot at high rpms.
If there are no visible cracks in the boot then make sure all the hose clamps are nice and tight and well seated. I found that smearing petroleum jelly on all of the mating parts makes installation a helluva lot easier and I'm sure it helps with keeping your intake sealed too.

Last edited by M Powah; 08-29-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Grammar (AGAIN!!!)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #17
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
i looked at all parts of the intake, but never inspected the one before the throttle body. too tight of a spot. I didnt want to bother taking it off, seeing holes, and putting it back on. once new one comes in, then ill check it out. But a few other fanatics gave me the same answer, that it is intake boot

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
M Powah

Yeah it is pretty tight in there. In order to get a good look at it you'll have to remove a composite heat shield by the brake reservoir which can be tricky sometimes.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Plastics and rubber, the achilles heel of the modern car....nice find!
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad idle, boot, cold start issue, icv, idle control valve, intake boot, stalling on startup