E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Kenwood X995

Hi,
I'm looking to buy this for a 2004 325i sedan and was wondering if anyone here went with this . I know there would probably have to be some modding but that's a small price to pay I think .
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,934
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Just need a wire harness, antenna adapter, and dash kit. I'd look into the Kenwood KIV-700 or KIV-BT900 also.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Just need a wire harness, antenna adapter, and dash kit. I'd look into the Kenwood KIV-700 or KIV-BT900 also.
Thanks for the speedy reply . So are you saying this would work for me ?
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,934
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Yes, I'd order from sonicelectronix.com. They provide all the hardware I mentioned at no extra charge (at least when I purchased mine).

Here is how the KIV-700 looks in my car:







Sexy album art ftw
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Looks really cool. I'm after the x995 though and wanted some feedback about this stereo . Crutchfield and few other shop told me it won't work . Here is the message I got from them ( Unfortunately, due to the design of the dash in your BMW, and our installation kit for your vehicle, fold-down face receivers and detachable face receivers can't be installed. The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995 receiver has a fold-down face (it also has a detachable face as well).

What do you guys think ?
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
eric_waltrip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa ,Ok
Posts: 613
My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
I have the bt948 I actually bought two trim pieces if u wanna buy the other
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1314758154.541474.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	414929   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1314758177.543246.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	414930   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1314758207.542102.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	414931  
__________________
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,934
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
As long as its a regular single DIN deck, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I couldn't use the black surrounding trim that came with my deck, and it looks better without it imo.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
As long as its a regular single DIN deck, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I couldn't use the black surrounding trim that came with my deck, and it looks better without it imo.
Well I just bought it so I'm really hoping this works . Wifey has been crying out for a AUX port for a while and Ipod support
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,934
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossless View Post
Well I just bought it so I'm really hoping this works . Wifey has been crying out for a AUX port for a while and Ipod support
How much was it, if you don't mind me asking.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
How much was it, if you don't mind me asking.
Got it for $231 on ebay and the installation kit from Crutchfield for $80.
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
LiNk504
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: OlyPen in the PAC NW
Posts: 174
My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossless View Post
Looks really cool. I'm after the x995 though and wanted some feedback about this stereo . Crutchfield and few other shop told me it won't work . Here is the message I got from them ( Unfortunately, due to the design of the dash in your BMW, and our installation kit for your vehicle, fold-down face receivers and detachable face receivers can't be installed. The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995 receiver has a fold-down face (it also has a detachable face as well).

What do you guys think ?
I think i know what they are taking about. mine has a fold down and detachable face and it pushes down on the new dash plate that you will have to install. so because of that they probably just say that it wont work because it doesnt work flawlessly. still, everything works just fine. but i know at least for mine i have to kinda help the face come down when i want to put a CD in.
__________________
Stupid f**king plastic parts!
LiNk504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #12
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNk504 View Post
I think i know what they are taking about. mine has a fold down and detachable face and it pushes down on the new dash plate that you will have to install. so because of that they probably just say that it wont work because it doesnt work flawlessly. still, everything works just fine. but i know at least for mine i have to kinda help the face come down when i want to put a CD in.
LiNk504 , I appreciate the feedback and I'm happy to hear that you got a similar unit to work. Would you mind showing me a picture of your dash , and did you install yourself ?
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
jtmeyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 16
My Ride: 325CI
I have the x993; same deck a couple years older in my car. The sound quality is amazing and the feature set is large. I would definitely recommend that deck.
jtmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmeyer View Post
I have the x993; same deck a couple years older in my car. The sound quality is amazing and the feature set is large. I would definitely recommend that deck.
Do you have full access to put a cd in , or can you detach your head without any issues ? Also , not sure if the 993 has bluetooth but are you able to control radio from your steering wheel ?
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,934
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossless View Post
Do you have full access to put a cd in , or can you detach your head without any issues ? Also , not sure if the 993 has bluetooth but are you able to control radio from your steering wheel ?
You will need a PAC-SWI Jack to regain steering wheel controls, otherwise you will lose them. Not hard to install, but can run you $80.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
eric_waltrip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa ,Ok
Posts: 613
My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
80 seems a little high for trim piece and harness think my harness was 17$ and the trim was 20$ but I couldn't wait for them to ship it do I picked up one locally for 40$ instead, I didn't use tge trim that came with the cd player either
__________________
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
You will need a PAC-SWI Jack to regain steering wheel controls, otherwise you will lose them. Not hard to install, but can run you $80.
I actually heard some good stuff about the Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface and bought it for $40 .
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Lossless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_waltrip View Post
80 seems a little high for trim piece and harness think my harness was 17$ and the trim was 20$ but I couldn't wait for them to ship it do I picked up one locally for 40$ instead, I didn't use tge trim that came with the cd player either
Which car/head do you have ? Can your cd be inserted fine ?
Lossless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
eric_waltrip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa ,Ok
Posts: 613
My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
ya there's no issue at all with CDs fitting in or out
__________________
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
LiNk504
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: OlyPen in the PAC NW
Posts: 174
My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossless View Post
LiNk504 , I appreciate the feedback and I'm happy to hear that you got a similar unit to work. Would you mind showing me a picture of your dash , and did you install yourself ?
I'll take one on my next break for you. And yes I did the install myself, its pretty simple, just be careful when you are pulling of your trim on the dash, I as accidentaly broke one of the pegs the holds it on

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer
__________________
Stupid f**king plastic parts!
LiNk504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use