E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
John Gie

My Ride: Bmw 323ci
Smile New Member Saying Hello !!!!

Hi To all, I have just become a proud owner of a BMW 323Ci, and let me tell you the car came about with me swapping my Vauxhall/Opel Zafira for the BMW and I have come to find many problems on the car that require attention so hence the reason I have joined the forum, as I will be needing as much help as possible, so slowly easing into things where shall I start. I have removed the accelerator cable as that has had better days and one needs to stomp on the pedal to get the car moving, so removed the cable and looking for cable any ideas ?????????? and also the radio set up looks like some clever swat has upgraded the original system to a JVC cd player in the boot that only works with the Steering controls on cd mode !!!!! so would like to return that to original equipment if possible. It looks like i might have to replace all front suspension bushes and the rear as well if I want any half decent road handling, I was wondering if anyone knows what the correct wheel sizes are for this model like front smaller than back as that would make sense. I am trying to get the car into it's original driving performance as I think after ten owners in ten years, there has been to many chiefs and not enough Indians if you now what I mean, as the poor car is just not what it should be, so please any advice or help please bring it on, open for suggestions, good to be part of the forum Cheers.
John Gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
First off, Welcome! you've come to the right place for help and advice. but you must have tough skin around here. I'm pretty sure all your issues are simple fixes that were neglected by previous owner.
Don't take it hard when your told not to get a 323. same driving experience with any other E46 but with less power. never buy ebay, and always buy O.E.M
what do you mean by wheel size? Do you mean staggerd? I have 18x9.5 in the rear and 18x8.5 in the front. I have that flushed look.
Pictures of your car would be nice to help you determin wheel selection.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gie View Post
Hi To all, I have just become a proud owner of a BMW 323Ci, and let me tell you the car came about with me swapping my Vauxhall/Opel Zafira for the BMW and I have come to find many problems on the car that require attention so hence the reason I have joined the forum, as I will be needing as much help as possible, so slowly easing into things where shall I start. I have removed the accelerator cable as that has had better days and one needs to stomp on the pedal to get the car moving, so removed the cable and looking for cable any ideas ?????????? and also the radio set up looks like some clever swat has upgraded the original system to a JVC cd player in the boot that only works with the Steering controls on cd mode !!!!! so would like to return that to original equipment if possible. It looks like i might have to replace all front suspension bushes and the rear as well if I want any half decent road handling, I was wondering if anyone knows what the correct wheel sizes are for this model like front smaller than back as that would make sense. I am trying to get the car into it's original driving performance as I think after ten owners in ten years, there has been to many chiefs and not enough Indians if you now what I mean, as the poor car is just not what it should be, so please any advice or help please bring it on, open for suggestions, good to be part of the forum Cheers.
Second, try to use more paragraphs like me, please!

OE wheels are square, all the same all around. Mine are 16s and they'll be among the lightest and thus fastest wheels. But the kids think they look bad, so go big and slow. I've seen them driving, so slow is best for them I think!

Check the bushings...usually CABs go.

Then get up with the maintenance...all fluids, plugs, filters...cleaning stuff like icv, tb, disa, etc.

If it helps, I get 34.5 mpg at 71 mph. You should do better with smaller engine and with your petrol prices, think that shooting for mpg would be an investment that pays off soon! A few pieces of rubber and some cans of cleaners.

Read many threads before doing anything...and read until you want to throw up the fine Scotch you just drank! Then you'll be ready!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
junkiekommando

My Ride: 02 330i, 91 318is
Third, don't make looooooooong posts like doug.. They make my brain hurt

Welcome to the forum

junkiekommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
John Gie

hi Azshorty, Cheers for the reply, I hear what you saying and I agree. The question above if directed at the original Tyre size for these models and also a upgrade system ( different Wheels ), I don't know the present sizes yet but will have a look tomorrow and get back to you, the reason I am asking is that the front steering feels heavy and it could put strain on the Steering rack, that might cause problems further on down the line, so i think it has 18" all round but will need to get the wright size first and see what I am up against. Could you tell me about how to go about the radio system as this model has a sat nav system on the face of the unit so would like to get that back to standard.. Where you from by the way, I am South African living in Scotland........You.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
John Gie

Ok guys get the hint, You dig short and sweet, Im with u..........
Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkiekommando View Post
Third, don't make looooooooong posts like doug.. They make my brain hurt

Welcome to the forum
You haven't figured out the solution is just not to read my posts?

Here, let me make a list of all the reasons you shouldn't read anything I write:

1. Head hurts
2. wtf
3. I don't even
4. It's rarely worth it

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:
Ok guys get the hint, You dig short and sweet, Im with u..........
Not if you have a car issue and want it fixed! Then short and sweet is just stupid!

A recent set

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
John Gie

You Know what DMAX....., You don't have to reply if you not up for it so just stay low and let the other forum members help out newbies. or are you the forum holder ?????????
Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
dmax

Quote:
You Know what DMAX....., You don't have to reply if you not up for it so just stay low and let the other forum members help out newbies. or are you the forum holder ?????????
I don't 'hold' the forum, I just protect noobs as much as anyone here.... We'll call this a mulligan!

If you have a car problem, short and sweet isn't good. Why? Because we need information if you expect the Internet to help you diagnose a problem.

I'm giving you advice; of course, you can chose to ignore it. I'm just really old, that's why you think I'm annoying.

A recent set

Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
Quote:
hi Azshorty, Cheers for the reply, I hear what you saying and I agree. The question above if directed at the original Tyre size for these models and also a upgrade system ( different Wheels ), I don't know the present sizes yet but will have a look tomorrow and get back to you, the reason I am asking is that the front steering feels heavy and it could put strain on the Steering rack, that might cause problems further on down the line, so i think it has 18" all round but will need to get the wright size first and see what I am up against. Could you tell me about how to go about the radio system as this model has a sat nav system on the face of the unit so would like to get that back to standard.. Where you from by the way, I am South African living in Scotland........You.
for your heavy steering:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...heavy+steering
for your stereo, look for someone parting out a car, and ask him if he wants to trade across, or sell your's, and use that money for the stock unit.
I am from Mexico, but raised in phoenix,az and live in avondale,az.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
dmax

If tire pressure is fine and the wheels/tires are crazy wide, heavy steering might just be the car compared to most others...but it could be low ps fluid, old ps fluid, an old, dried out belt slipping.

Might be PS pulley is cracked (it's plastic). Might be a seeping from the rack.

Have you removed the underskirt yet to look for leaks. Pay attention to the fitings on the rack and see if any fluid is dripping out of the upper tie rod boots.

You do mean heavy when you're moving, right? When it's not moving, it will feel heavy, compared to most other cars I think.

There...short and sweet...for me anyway! If you don't want me in your threads, btw, just ask! I'll try to remember not to help when I otherwise could and would!

A recent set