E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
marafet

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323 ci
Unhappy Can't get rid of P0340 and P1525 even after both CPS sensors replacement

Here's my story, I hope someone will help me regarding this issue because I put a lot of heart and soul into my bimmer, as I know that you all did.

I have a 200 323 Ci, what hapenedone month ago is that my battery was dead, replaced it and unfortuneatelly I did it wrong I reversed the terminals and tried starting the engine, the engine of course didn't cranck...
This polarity reversal blew out my alternator -> replaced it.
After the alterternator swap, the engine still didn't crank up.

It finally cranked up after a BMW tech came and inspected that a wire coming into my Siemens ECU was melted, he also checked all my fuses and replaced the blown ones.

After the engine started the tech diagnozed my car and thew a code regarding the Exhaust CPS (not intake).

I replaced the CPS with a new BMW OEM one from the stealership and cleared the code.

After that, initially the car felt finally like it was driving well....but then after 100 km it felt slugish, bad idle and tremmors at start up .
After diagnosing again the car, I got some multiple missfires on Cyl 1, 2, 3 + code P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Bank I.

BMW tech cleared the codes, and only P0340 came up again.
I suspect the CYL 1, 2, 3 missfires were because bad fuel (after I put some other fuel in it plus BMW certified additive it drove fine)
Because P0340 refers to the intake CPS I replaced this CPS also with a new BMW OEM one, cleared the code and drove the car.

The car feels better now, idling issue almost resolved, but I still get the P0340 + new P1525 code now (after replacing the Intake CPS).Cleared the codes, drive the car, but I still receive the same codes.

Now I really don't know what to do.......car is idling fine but it tremmors kind of rough until it warms up....
marafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
marafet

no reply yet? please soembody help
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
I am in the same position. A p0340 after my head gasket repair. New sensor still gives p0340. I have retimed my engine 3 times. Sensors work fine on other cars.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
marafet

Well, someboy replied after one year.
In the mean time I solved my issue.
I had a loose camshaft timing chain and chain tensioner.
Replaced these two, retimed my engine, restarted all the adaptions, no more errors anymore.
I see you have 232 k miles on your car, for sure a tensioner / chain swap is healthy.
Also redo the vanos seals if you are opening it up.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
This is another e46 328i that has 155k miles. It had a bad head gasket. I did rebuild the vanos unit before I reinstalled it. I am going to retime it once more before I change out the timing chain. P0340 is the only code I am getting.

Did you replace the primary and secondary chains?

How did you restart your adaptions.?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
marafet

well I replaced the chain and tensioner in this picture:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=11&fg=25
Adaption restart via BMW OBD II tool.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
warriorpluto

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marafet View Post
well I replaced the chain and tensioner in this picture:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=11&fg=25
Adaption restart via BMW OBD II tool.
Did you have to take off balancer and timing cover?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
warriorpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
warriorpluto

Bump

Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
BMWCaptain

I don't think he did have to take off the timing cover. He replaced the secondary chain, which is above the block all exposed.

I solved my p0340 by retiming it. The last time I timed it, I had to adjust the exhaust sproket and timing chain by 1 link. I worked the timing backwards to see where my chain had to be relative to the cams at TDC.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 09-07-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
warriorpluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
I don't think he did have to take off the timing cover. He replaced the secondary chain, which is above the block all exposed.

I solved my p0340 by retiming it. The last time I timed it, I had to adjust the exhaust sproket and timing chain by 1 link. I worked the timing backwards to see where my chain had to be relative to the cams at TDC.
Oh ok thanks

Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Xeus

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
I have a rattling sound from the VANOS, I replaced the seals in 2012 with beisans. I think either the timing chain tensioner or the secondary timing chain tensioner is causing the problem. TCT seems easy to replace but how about secondary TCT? Can it be replaced without taking the sprockets and secondary timing chain out?
Xeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #12
Coffman

My Ride: Blue 330ci 5 speed
Sorry to revive a dated thread but I have a p0340 code and I've replaced the intake sensor and I still have the code.i know the sensor is good and I tested it by tapping it on a pice of metal and I heard relays and injectors clicking. So where do I look to fix my issue. The car is a 2002 330ci 5 speed and all this happened when my oil pump went out while driving
Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #13
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by marafet View Post
I have a 200 323 Ci, what hapenedone month ago is that my battery was dead, replaced it and unfortuneatelly I did it wrong I reversed the terminals and tried starting the engine, the engine of course didn't cranck...
This polarity reversal blew out my alternator -> replaced it.
After the alterternator swap, the engine still didn't crank up.

It finally cranked up after a BMW tech came and inspected that a wire coming into my Siemens ECU was melted, he also checked all my fuses and replaced the blown ones.
You likely have a wiring problem or something damaged inside the DME/ECU?

Was wiring repaired? Maybe some wiring was connected wrong?

You may have a problem like in this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=905043

Maybe there is other DME damage that will not be visible?

The sensors are obviously not the problem as the issue was there with both the old and new sensors and you had a serious mishap before this problem started.

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-12-2014 at 06:48 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
Coffman

The car will start up fine without the sensor plugged in but if the sensor is plugged in then it takes 5 seconds to start.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffman View Post
Sorry to revive a dated thread but I have a p0340 code and I've replaced the intake sensor and I still have the code.i know the sensor is good and I tested it by tapping it on a pice of metal and I heard relays and injectors clicking. So where do I look to fix my issue. The car is a 2002 330ci 5 speed and all this happened when my oil pump went out while driving
If the sensor was a BMW sensor, it has a warranty and in the US should have a 24 Month/Unlimited mileage warranty.

You mention the sensor is good, but if you tap it with a piece of metal your heard relays and the injectors clicking, this tells me the sensor is bad/microphonic.

If the sensor was not an OEM style/vendor sensor, I would get a quality sensor from BMW. I personally would not use Febi or Mayle sensors.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
Coffman

I read somewhere that if the sensor didn't work that the injectors wouldn't click or the motor wouldn't respond. If the sensor was bad then there wouldn't be any change in how the car started up. But it will start right up without the intake cam sensor.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
Coffman

Anyone

Tags
cps, p1525, vanos