E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
addam03E46

My Ride: 2003 325i
Opinions on Depo Turn Signal and Sidemarker Quality....

I realize I probably should of asked this before pulling the trigger but for the price I figured it was an OK gamble. Anyhow, i picked up this set off eBay for $67 shipped since my car is finally up to speed on maintenance and I wanted to try something subtle since it's Mystic blue and I've always liked the clear with the darker colors. It claims they are Depo lights. I figure there's not much to the lenses, and I've gotten good at sealing my OEM ones from the back with clear silicone when they got foggy, so I'm not too concerned about that. But has anyone had issues with yellowing or stress cracks with Depo lights?? Or significant fitment issues??

Feel free to post a pic of them on your car too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121518966927...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	584038  

Last edited by addam03E46; 12-17-2014 at 01:37 PM.
addam03E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
akashhegde

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Ive got the smoked ones by depo and I found nothing wrong with them.
akashhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
addam03E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashhegde View Post
Ive got the smoked ones by depo and I found nothing wrong with them.
Thanks. How long have you had them installed?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Shogunner

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
I think they're alright, but unlike you I didn't seal mine so the recent rain has fogged them up like in the layer inbetween the outer most and inner most plastic and I can't get them to dry out.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
akashhegde

Quote:
Originally Posted by addam03E46 View Post
Thanks. How long have you had them installed?
Had them for about 2 months now.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
I've had the depo turn signals on my pre facelift for over 4 years now. No issues.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
addam03E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunner View Post
I think they're alright, but unlike you I didn't seal mine so the recent rain has fogged them up like in the layer inbetween the outer most and inner most plastic and I can't get them to dry out.

When my OEM ones fogged up I brought them inside for a whole weekend and just let them sit open to the atmosphere in one of the bathrooms we didn't use. This was during the summer and the AC was running so they got nice and dried out in there with the door shut. Id imagine the winter with the heat running would do the same thing. I tried a blow drier first but that seemed to just make it more humid inside of it. They gotta dry out on their own. After that i sealed up the edges from the back using my finger so I could get the silicone smooshed down into the seam nice and good and let it sit for about 3 hours until it was firm enough I could safely re-install them. They have been good since then and that was a year ago.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Hector45

My Ride: 2002 OB 330i
One of my depo front corner lights started leaking after 7 years, tail lights are still going strong.

Last edited by Hector45; 12-17-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Hector45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
addam03E46

Thanks everyone!! Feeling pretty good about my $70 purchase!! Has anyone had any fitment issues with the side markers??
Old 12-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
akashhegde

No fitment issues here!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Cheapbimmer

My Ride: 330ci
I have depo smoked led tails on my car for a couple months now, and so far so good! Fit fine and no leaks. I'm willing to bet the lights you ordered will be fine.
Cheapbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Gunsnbacon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I have them too, I love them. I even did LED tails and I've had them for 8 months now with no issues

Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 AW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
I ran them on my old e46 and never had any issues with neither the corners nor the side markers. The PO of my current e46 installed them on my car and they seem to be holding up just fine. I've gotten condensation on the inside of my driver side corner for as long as I've had it, but it might be because of PO install error since I noticed that the mounting bracket was bent. Oh the things you find when you buy a used car. My side markers are a bit hazy, but I think that has to do more with age and mileage than DEPO's quality.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
I've got Depo clear corners and sides on my facelift sedan. The side markers are yellowing and the corners are fogged and let moisture in. (The tails seem fine though.)

My last 3 BMWs (all coupes) had oem clears all-around ... with 0 problems. I can't wait to get some oem clears on my sedan.

You get what you pay for.

No leather/no cold weather package/no sports package
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #15
eneka

the problem with the depo corners is that the plastic they use is sub par, so when your sidemarkers are on, they eventually warp from the heat at the socket area, especially when you use chrome bulbs, allowing moisture in and fogging up. Fitment is alrigh too. Can't really complaing about the price htough.

Last edited by eneka; 12-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #16
addam03E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
the problem with the depo corners is that the plastic they use is sub par, so when your sidemarkers are on, they eventually warp from the heat at the socket area, especially when you use chrome bulbs, allowing moisture in and fogging up. Fitment is alrigh too. Can't really complaing about the price htough.
Yeah I've read that about the Chrome bulbs why is that? Is it a reflective heat thing? Because they are the same wattage I believe as the OEM ones. These have a vent on top with a little rubber hose so hopefully any excess heat will disperse.

I'm thinking I may seal up the seams with clear silicone on the backside of the side markers and apply onto the socket lip when I install them. I did that to my OEM ones and it fixed my fogging issue.

Like you said though, for the price even if they look good for a couple years, it's still a good deal. I'll be hanging onto my old ones too.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I would stick with OEM I had depo side markers and they leaked/yellowed/etc. The corners have been okay for now but it's my third set... save your time and money and get OEM
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #18
addam03E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I would stick with OEM I had depo side markers and they leaked/yellowed/etc. The corners have been okay for now but it's my third set... save your time and money and get OEM
It looks like in your signature pic that you have the same ones I got but with the Amber bulbs vice the chrome ones, do you have a better pic of your setup like that?? I'm tempted to go amber because I feel like it may be a little "ricey" with the chrome bulbs (I know that's kind of an oxymoron since I'm getting "euro" corner and marker lights).

Well unfortunately what's done is done since they are on their way. But at least thanks to you guys I know what to expect over time with these so I won't be surprised if they do go to crap. My main concern is yellowing since my car is the one that sits outside (the wife gets the garage).

Last edited by addam03E46; 12-18-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #19
Willie00328I

My Ride: 2000 328I sedan
I have the smoked depo corners and side markers. They have been on over a year and work and look good.
Willie00328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
bmwerkes
Para-Magic

My Ride: 01 330i, 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by addam03E46 View Post
Yeah I've read that about the Chrome bulbs why is that? Is it a reflective heat thing? Because they are the same wattage I believe as the OEM ones. These have a vent on top with a little rubber hose so hopefully any excess heat will disperse.

I'm thinking I may seal up the seams with clear silicone on the backside of the side markers and apply onto the socket lip when I install them. I did that to my OEM ones and it fixed my fogging issue.

Like you said though, for the price even if they look good for a couple years, it's still a good deal. I'll be hanging onto my old ones too.
The OEM tails are not airtight, to allow air to circulate. Condensation sound like a leak...
bmwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote