E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
danny_e46

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci
E46 facelift headlights

I have a e46 coupe with the facelift and I removed my headlights so I can paint the high beam housing yellow but the headlight cover looks like it's glued on, how and what do I do to remove the clear plastic cover without damaging anything?
danny_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
piston-whip

My Ride: 2005 330Ci
Bake the housing for 15 minutes at 250F. Remove the ballasts, any sort of rubber, bulbs or anything else that could be damaged by baking the headlight. Just look up facelift coupe angel eye install DIY.
piston-whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595976
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9217044

upon removing the headlights from car

- remove the ballast under the headlight (two silver blocks holding in by torx screw)
- there should be two screws around the headlight in the back, remove those also
- remove all bulbs
- 250F oven, make sure to put it on a AL sheet
- wait 15 minutes (make sure to turn on your oven light to see if anythings is melting/burning etc. at 250F your headlights would NOT burn/melt. its safe

- use oven to take it out after 15 minutes
- this is the tricky part, you have a limit of time before the glue sets back and harden. upon removing the headlight from your oven, use oven mitts and some sort of flat blade and pry around the housing *the glue is very very sticky and messy haha*

installing is literally reverse order. back in the oven then press the housing together to get a firm seal

you can also use a heat gun but its not effective as a oven, plus the glue would be even messier if you use a heat gun due to unbalanced heat

good luck! show us some pictures after wards
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
B78SYX

My Ride: 325CI 2004
OP, wouldn't be easier to stick to some yellow bulbs? Facelift headlights seem a real PITA to mod, I gave up the idea since I found out they are far more difficult to work with, than pre facelift ones.

The main issue would be if you will not properly reattach the front part, as you might end up with future condensation, if the glue will not stick in an uniform manner.

Last edited by B78SYX; 01-29-2015 at 01:46 PM.
B78SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
JapanRot325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by B78SYX View Post
OP, wouldn't be easier to stick to some yellow bulbs? Facelift headlights seem a real PITA to mod, I gave up the idea since I found out they are far more difficult to work with, than pre facelift ones.

The main issue would be if you will not properly reattach the front part, as you might end up with future condensation, if the glue will not stick in an uniform manner.
that's a easy way but if you were to turn on your headlights the inner bulbs will turn off unless you do mad coding. also when the ignition is off the yellow bulb isnt lite meaning you have the old chrome stock look

about the part about "not properly reattaching front part" its very hard to mess up the glue. once it dries, it dries! you can always reheat and play around with the glue to get a even coverage around the housing but most of the time you shouldnt have to do that. as long as you reheat the headlight then press the housing to the back housing you'd be fine
Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
The more you screw with these headlights, the easier it gets. Ive had mine opened at least 20 times now
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
rsyed07

My Ride: 330i ZSP ZPP ZCW
Gotta love the snap on lenses on the face lifted sedans

rsyed07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
JapanRot325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
The more you screw with these headlights, the easier it gets. Ive had mine opened at least 20 times now
this. i think the hardest part was trying to remove the headlights out of the car lmfao! scratched a my headlight bottom trims a few time, and broke the side clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
Gotta love the snap on lenses on the face lifted sedans
sometimes it makes me wonder why BMW made the coupe headlight one piece...
Old 01-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
B78SYX

My Ride: 325CI 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanRot325ci View Post
that's a easy way but if you were to turn on your headlights the inner bulbs will turn off unless you do mad coding. also when the ignition is off the yellow bulb isnt lite meaning you have the old chrome stock look
Well, I think I am not quite clear about the targeted look, you are referring to.

You can, somehow, have your high beam reflectors lit by yellow light, in the following ways, too, I guess:
- install amber wy5w parking light bulbs and code your car to use them, as in EU (ironically, I have installed these, for a more US-like look, as I hate that warm white of EU OEM parking lights and cool white LED are still quite a cop magnet)
- replace those inner parking lights (which, I presume, anyway, you don't use them on US cars) with yellow LED and hardwire them, through a relay (as used in DRL kits), so they will be permanently lit, only when ignition is on, same as any DRL.

Of course, now, just removing that cover might seem much easier

This was a feature of older France-registered cars, where yellow headlights or yellow light bulbs used to be mandatory, for both low and high beam (I believe until early 90s). As far as I know, they are illegal, nowadays, everywhere in Europe.
I admit I like that "French" look, especially on older BMWs, compared with all this recent frenzy about LED-based cool white being the new "black"

Last edited by B78SYX; 01-30-2015 at 03:10 AM.
B78SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:00 AM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
NOT worth the risk to possibly have oem facelift coupe headlights destroyed in the oven. Do you know how much they cost???? Just get some Nokya 2500k bulbs instead.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #11
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
I never baked mine. Mostly the heat from being in a hot engine bay driving around was enough. Just takes some prying, cutting the silicone, and maybe some heat gun
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #12
piston-whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
NOT worth the risk to possibly have oem facelift coupe headlights destroyed in the oven. Do you know how much they cost???? Just get some Nokya 2500k bulbs instead.
I've honestly never heard of that happening. I believe your bulbs get hotter than that anyway.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:01 AM   #13
JapanRot325ci

i baked mine, no problem so far. two of my other buddies baked them..so far no problem

its fine if you keep an eye on it
Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
danny_e46

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help, and what website is a good place to get led angel eyes?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:35 PM   #15
piston-whip

Umnitza
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
danny_e46

Thank you! I've been trying to stray away from ebay