E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #281
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Got mine repaired today (I have not yet looked at it, too cold and dark... maybe tomorrow). Anyways apparantly they just add a ground strap after talking with the service advisor and a tech after I told them I was a tech and wanted to know what all was involved. No connector/carrier replacement unless you raise a big stink, and mine is still ok although the left one was a little melted and some looseness in a couple spades. I had done the repair found here by relocating the ground wire to the carrier piece that jutts out. It'll be interesting to see what they did once I open them up and any difference left to right.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #282
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve108819 View Post
My dash indicator came on last week, so I took the plug apart. Nothing looks burnt so I sprayed some contact cleaner on the connections and plugged it back in. No more dash light. The very next day I get the recall letter in the mail. I don't want to take the car in with no dash light and no burnt connector, so I guess I'm going to wait a month or 2 for the dash light to come back on (which it always does)
Recalls are usually done regardless of condition.... Just thinking... Avoid the fire...

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #283
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I called my car in ,,, didnt even have the VIN number, they looked me up by name and address and told me I'm in the group that should have letters by this week, (Announcements) and should get the recall letter by end of month. Suposedly they letters are being mailed in order of the production runs. (He thought...)

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #284
TSiGuy

My Ride: 05 325i
got mine done about two weeks ago. Took about an hour for them to do it, while i drooled over the brand new dealership BMW Langley and ofcourse the receptionsit

Incase Canadians are wondering, the recall applies to Canadian cars too...If you already know good stuff..
TSiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #285
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Got my letter late last week, haven't read through it completely. Just got the basics... Something like >
BMW USA don't have enough parts for repair, yada yada. Will get back with me when they do.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #286
goingvet

My Ride: 2004 325xi
It was pretty amusing to get the letter 2 weeks after I put in my complaint with safercar.gov. The letter still doesn't have a date, just advice on what to do if you have a problem right now.

I thought it was amusing that others out of warranty said they paid $400 for the repair which included a new loom and bracket assembly. The letter clearly states their just going to stick a wire on unless they find other damage.

I taped the melted area up to avoid shorting to the trunk light which would leave them on. The passenger side is already a heavier guage than the driver side, so I wonder if they will bother with that if it's not showing any melting.

I suspect this is going to leave a negative taste for people who just liked the idea of owning a BMW and are not huge BMW fans.
goingvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #287
mooksmilez

My Ride: bmw 330i
I think it's funny that they don't have the parts for the replacement when it sounds like all they're going to do is splice a wire and then ground it as others have done themselves.

BMW SF couldn't even tell me when they'd have the parts.
mooksmilez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #288
03E46xi

My Ride: 03 325xi, 02 330i
not coupes and conv because you need a tail lamp socket holder. The recall is for a ground burnt wire and they have to do a complete rewire. All E46 sedans between 3/15/01-2/1/05 are affected. which mine falls under that just never got the notice yet wtf..
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #289
03E46xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmilez View Post
I think it's funny that they don't have the parts for the replacement when it sounds like all they're going to do is splice a wire and then ground it as others have done themselves.

BMW SF couldn't even tell me when they'd have the parts.
that was the fix at first. just splice the ground and call it a day but not you have to splice and crimp every wire and get a new connector.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #290
JGosselin

My Ride: '05 330XI
I was having a lot of flickering Xenon (factory) issues recently on my '05 330xi on the passenger side, in addition to warning light for driver-side rear tail lamp. I took my car in this week for the safety recall on the rear lamps and had it fixed. Since the recall repairs, I have not noticed the xenon flicker once! Seems to definitely be related to the grounding/recall in rear lamps... or could be pure coincidence!?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #291
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Anyone in Arizona or the West coast get a recall letter yet?
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #292
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
Anyone in Arizona or the West coast get a recall letter yet?
California They're pulling VIN numbers from DOT...not BMWNA.

I have mine scheduled to go in on Wednesday. They reserved me a loaner but does anyone know for sure if they'll give one to a 19 year old? The reservations guy said I'll be fine.
...and no I'm not planning on returning it with bald tires.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #293
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
If I already paid get mine fix.. Can I get store credit?
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #294
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
My dealership said if you even have aftermarket lenses they won't even touch it. So unless you want to switch everything back then you're out of luck.
well, i honestly wasnt going to go through the hassle of swapping it back and also never had a problem with the original tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #295
tcek

My Ride: BWM 325Xi - 2004
got mine in the mail about 10 days ago. i live in missouri. i have had my car about 18 months. Never been to the dealer but sent in my change of owner card found the bmw owners manual when i bought the car. letter said no parts available.
tcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #296
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlatexxx View Post
If I already paid get mine fix.. Can I get store credit?

Yes, you can. I had mine done about a month ago and they said to bring back the receipt to credit your card account once (if) you get the letter.

That's why I'm wondering who's gotten theirs.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #297
dino71

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I finally got my letter (2 months late) and now I am trying to get my $150 for the tail bulb assembly light that I bought out of pocket. I just got off the phone with Morristown BMW and let me tell you...I have never dealt with such incompetence in my life. First they tell me no managers are around (at 1:15 in the afternoon) then the parts guy tells me that they do not keep records of parts purchases past two years after spending almost 35 minutes on hold. I guess my only recourse is go to small claims court, I left a message with the manager and I am waiting to hear back from her to see what story she's going to tell me.

Last edited by dino71; 12-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.
dino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #298
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
How do I go about telling BMWNA that my 02 coupe suffers from this problem before I go berserk on the dealer?
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #299
03E46xi

ok so got my letter 3 days ago. took my 2003 325xi to the dealership. recall needed to be done, got the recall done. Wanted to look at what it was all about. the wiring looks good and all but the bulb socket housing is still all burnt to hell and im fighting with the dealership to get it done and they said it wasnt covered under the recall. SOOOO i said let me get this straight a burnt ground wiring burnt my bulb socket housing and bmw isnt going to cover this wtf???? going there again tomorrow to figure out what the hell is going on. just throwing it out there that you guys should remove the bulb socket housing, remove the connector and see if your socket housing is still burnt.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #300
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
Yeah I think it's complete bullshit that they only offer this recall on the sedans and not coupes when they too suffer from this problem.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, recall, tailights