E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 76 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #381
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
The point of failure is the crimped connector - the wire itself can handle the load fine. So by splicing in another wire and grounding it on that tab, you're taking some load off the original crimp.
oh...that makes better sense. thanks again TerraPhantm!
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #382
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Here's what happens... You are right... ALL the lights ground throught the brown ground wire. But what happens is that the ground wire generates heat and melts the plug connector(See the pic?) and then has a sporadic ground issue... Hence the dash lights!

So... You can either remove the brown ground wire from the plug (As the link shows) and add a spade connector and ground to the frame or splice in an additional ground into the brown prior to the plug (I think that's what BMW does) or from another ground source (That's what I did) and then ground the bulb frame. By doing that it negates any heating of the brown ground wire and there is always a ground so there are no sporadic dash lights as the ground is ALWAYS grounded now.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Big Rick; 02-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #383
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Here's what happens... You are right... ALL the lights ground throught the brown ground wire. But what happens is that the ground wire generates heat and melts the plug connector(See the pic?) and then has a sporadic ground issue... Hence the dash lights!

So... You can either remove the brown ground wire from the plug (As the link shows) and add a spade connector and ground to the frame or splice in an additional ground into the brown prior to the plug (I think that's what BMW does) or from another ground source (That's what I did) and then ground the bulb frame. By doing that it negates any heating of the brown ground wire and there is always a ground so there are no sporadic dash lights as the ground is ALWAYS grounded now.

Does that make sense?
got it. it made sense. i will post a picture of my melted plug and bulb carrier soon. what a joke and so dangerous
Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #384
flashmeow
Banned User

here are my pix to show the damages due to this design flaw

I hope this will help anyone out there. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #385
Big Rick

Yup... Mine looked exactly the same... But I guess all of ours do!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #386
mvitale27

My Ride: '02 330xi
Finally got my second letter stating my dealer now has the parts to perform the recall.
mvitale27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #387
Perez

My Ride: US
How long does the repair take?

Last edited by Perez; 02-20-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #388
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
my dealer has always let me have a courtesy car even though it isnt under warranty but i am supposed to have my done on wednesday and they said it shouldnt take more than an hour to have it done.

Last edited by rjskalet; 02-20-2012 at 08:29 PM.
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #389
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvitale27 View Post
Finally got my second letter stating my dealer now has the parts to perform the recall.
Yeah... I just got my 2nd or 3rd one... They say they will reimburse me for the cost of the repair... I wonder if I should whip up a RO and try for reimbursement!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #390
Bert336

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
I wonder how can we get BMW to repair and acknowledge the faulty cheap ZHP sedan headlights with the burnt bowls? I believe the same or similar reason appears to apply to the headlights as they used it for the brake light issue..

( "Description of Problem" The issue involves the rear lamps on your vehicle. Specially, it involves the portion of the lamp in the vehicle's rear quarter panel. Due to material specification and eviromental factors, one or more lamp functions tail, brake, turn-signal within the rear quarter panel may stop working. Please note that the other portion of the rear lamp, in the vehicles trunk lid is not affected. Do not leave this problem unattended. Depending on traffic and road conditions and the driver's reactions, this could increase the risk of a crash.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #391
everybest

My Ride: 325xi
I had this fixed by a local garage a few months ago for $150. I will bring it to a dealer to have the other side fixed, but has anyone had any success getting reimbursement?
everybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #392
momofthree

My Ride: 2005 330i
My driver side tail light was going out, melted like all the pics. I called BMW, they ran the vin and said no recall. So I replaced it myself ($120 later ) So now, two months later, I get a letter in the mail saying parts are here and your car is part of the recall! Never even got a FIRST letter
Will call soon and see about being reibursed, not sure how that will work since I bought the parts and did the work myself. Any truth to BOTH sides needing to be done?
momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #393
Jmhockey1920

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by everybest View Post
I had this fixed by a local garage a few months ago for $150. I will bring it to a dealer to have the other side fixed, but has anyone had any success getting reimbursement?
150?

I know nothing about electrical / mechanical parts that much and I changed this out in 10 minutes. I think I spent $5 bucks.
Jmhockey1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #394
everybest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post
150?

I know nothing about electrical / mechanical parts that much and I changed this out in 10 minutes. I think I spent $5 bucks.
Yeah, I didn't know the issue was so widespread at the time. I'm at the end of the line with my car, I haven't really been keeping up with the news or forums. When there's a significant problem, I bring it in to fix it, otherwise, hope nothing serious comes up before I sell it.
everybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #395
momofthree

My Ride: 2005 330i
Update from BMW today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofthree View Post
My driver side tail light was going out, melted like all the pics. I called BMW, they ran the vin and said no recall. So I replaced it myself ($120 later ) So now, two months later, I get a letter in the mail saying parts are here and your car is part of the recall! Never even got a FIRST letter
Will call soon and see about being reibursed, not sure how that will work since I bought the parts and did the work myself. Any truth to BOTH sides needing to be done?
Ok, so here's the info I got today from Will @ BMW NA...

Both sides need to be repaired. If a repair was made prior to you getting the letter, bring the receipt to the dealership with your recall letter and they will submit for reimbursement to BMW.

This is for Recall 11V-438
BMW North America: 800.525.7417

I guess I better swap out my leaky oil seperator before I head to the dealer
momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #396
Old Rum

My Ride: 04mtXI 02mtX5 13F30
Installed led bulbs with grounding in my oem clear tails- 04 xi sedan. Just received the letter and called dealer to ask about aftermarket lenses and they said they would still fix it per recall. I am just wondering if it is necessary to have done if led bulbs were wired up previously. Anyone in this position?
Old Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #397
mysticblueseattle

Amazing.

This happened to my left rear taillight a few years back. My car was still on Certified Pre-Owned warranty at the time. The service manager at the dealership decided that it wasn't going to be covered and told me it would be $250 to repair it.

I went back and made my point that the CPO warranty very clearly stated that "electrical" issues were covered. Since there was a clearly defective ground and a burned out connector I told him the onus was on them to comply with the warranty.

They fixed it.

Know your warranty. http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...warranty2.aspx
mysticblueseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #398
RBaker

My Ride: BMW325i 2004
?? About Recall

I have a 2004 325 I Sedan. My taillights have experienced this ground issue as confirmed by my dealer last Wednesday. They say my car is not part of the recall. Does anyone know why it wouldn't? And how can I get them to cover it? They are telling me it is $311 to fix the issue.
Thanks
RBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #399
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
i ran the fixes myself prior with a DIY on this site..
took no time and everything was good
i now have EE LED tails but i guess they have their own wiring harness so it was not at all needed anymore haha
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #400
Ryan4402000

My Ride: 2002 330i
I don't think i'm going to take mine in.

Hello I'm new here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I got the notice in the mail but I'm not taking my car in. My car is 10 years old and the lights work fine. I'm not going to take it in and risk having a snot nosed young tech scratch the paint or get grease on the carpet. The fact that they are going to drill some random hole in a bracket to mount the ground wire is not thrilling either. The only thing I believe I'm missing out on is a free car wash which they usually provide with service. Do I sound like a yuppie or a certified E46 fanatic?
Ryan4402000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, recall, tailights