E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #121
Bert336

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
any recalls for the ZHP sedan headlight Bowls?? (burnt bowls)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #122
ilovebeemers

My Ride: 323i,325i, Boxster S
The wire comes loose, .01 cent of super glue and it was fixed.
ilovebeemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #123
JRinPA

My Ride: '04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to JRinPA
NY Times reporting..

I am new to your forum and love it - some great information to those of us new to E46s.

There is a great article about the recall in the NY Times here:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...ty-tail-lamps/

Answers a few questions such as: no one who got their lights fixed before Dec 2009 will be reimbursed for the repair.

What is interesting is the whole matter was started by one person complaining that he knew a lot of E46s having this same problem and actually got NHTSA to notice. This time David got Goliath. BMW fought the recall.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #124
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
How come this doesn't recall 2001's? My car has this issue, it's a 2001 sedan.

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #125
robmpulse

My Ride: E46 330i Mtech + E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
I'm sure.....look how long it took for the recall.
Most people with this problem already fixed it.
If you paid someone to fix it, then there should be a way to get reimbursed.

If you have aftermarket tails in your car, then you are no longer effected by this problem, so no need to get the recall performed.

If you have an unmolested harness in your car and your original tails, then swap your stockies back in and take it to the dealer.... once the recall is actually issued.

Announcing a recall and it actually being issued on your car are two different things. It's a process. You will receive a letter once it has been issued. That is when you call for an appointment.

You can call BMWNA and tell them to list you as the current owner if you think for whatever reason you are not listed... but you don't have to do this to get the recall performed... only to receive the letter. And even then... I think they go by DMV records, so you still may get a letter even if BMW itself does not have you on file.

And for the rest of you... stop *****in. It's a recall, they happen...

Tired of seeing cabrio specific info showing up in your search results when you don't have a cabrio?

Either way, head over here and VOTE! Everyone can benefit. It takes only mins to actually set up, so there really is no good reason not to have one!!!

Click here to submit your vote!
robmpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #126
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmpulse View Post
If you paid someone to fix it, then there should be a way to get reimbursed.

If you have aftermarket tails in your car, then you are no longer effected by this problem, so no need to get the recall performed.

If you have an unmolested harness in your car and your original tails, then swap your stockies back in and take it to the dealer.... once the recall is actually issued.

Announcing a recall and it actually being issued on your car are two different things. It's a process. You will receive a letter once it has been issued. That is when you call for an appointment.

You can call BMWNA and tell them to list you as the current owner if you think for whatever reason you are not listed... but you don't have to do this to get the recall performed... only to receive the letter. And even then... I think they go by DMV records, so you still may get a letter even if BMW itself does not have you on file.

And for the rest of you... stop *****in. It's a recall, they happen...
So I got the title to my 325i transferred to me today, all I have to do is call BMW and let them know i'm the new owner?
325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #127
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert336 View Post
any recalls for the ZHP sedan headlight Bowls?? (burnt bowls)
unfortunately no
thats the real recall they need to do

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #128
runnr548

My Ride: 09/98/97 328 01 325
Send a message via AIM to runnr548 Send a message via Skype™ to runnr548
My 2001 325i has the same tail light/ground wire problem, and the trunk wire harness issue mentioned earlier. We should try to get the older cars included!
runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #129
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
They already replaced mine under a recall a few years back...

Not the lenses, but the bulb trays, basically added an individual ground to the tray.

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #130
robmpulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
So I got the title to my 325i transferred to me today, all I have to do is call BMW and let them know i'm the new owner?
yes, call 800-831-1117. that's all ya have to do.

Tired of seeing cabrio specific info showing up in your search results when you don't have a cabrio?

Either way, head over here and VOTE! Everyone can benefit. It takes only mins to actually set up, so there really is no good reason not to have one!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #131
MntnTwisties

My Ride: 04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebeemers View Post
The wire comes loose, .01 cent of super glue and it was fixed.
You do realize putting super flamable super glue on an overloaded ground wire might not be the best fix.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Bimmer
MntnTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #132
5MT_E46

My Ride: 03 325i
I email my SA with this link and my VIN. And he email me back saying "at this time, BMW shows no recalls for the car listed below"

I have 2003 sedan, what gives?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #133
robmpulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5MT_E46 View Post
I email my SA with this link and my VIN. And he email me back saying "at this time, BMW shows no recalls for the car listed below"

I have 2003 sedan, what gives?
Quote:

Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #134
5MT_E46

My Ride: 03 325i
Quote:
opps, my bad..lol
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #135
hotrod

My Ride: 03 M3
the wife just had the dealer do the service bulletin to her zhp, so i called bmwna about it. they said when we get the letter around october, take the letter to the dealer and they will check whether the work was fully completed to recall specs. if so, we get reimbursed. if further work is required, they will just finish the job and no reimbursement.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #136
romancommander

My Ride: 2002 325i
Hey, I have an 02 325i from Ontario Canada. Are Canadian cars included in this recall? I get a tail light out sign on my dash every once in a while.
romancommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #137
jcn330

My Ride: 2003 330I Sport/p
Anyone care to guess if they will do the recall if you have done the DIY fix yourself? I am a little confused as to what some of you did in your DIY fix as well. My harness had already begun to melt so I pulled the brown wire out and taped up the end of it. Then I stripped a portion of the brown wire, and spliced in another wire directly to the tab on the housing. I thought, because of the DIY thread I used, that was going to be sufficient, however some of you seem to have run a chassis ground to another place on the car's body. Am I just misunderstanding some of you, or do I need to run a second ground? My lights are working fine right now.
jcn330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #138
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn330 View Post
Anyone care to guess if they will do the recall if you have done the DIY fix yourself? I am a little confused as to what some of you did in your DIY fix as well. My harness had already begun to melt so I pulled the brown wire out and taped up the end of it. Then I stripped a portion of the brown wire, and spliced in another wire directly to the tab on the housing. I thought, because of the DIY thread I used, that was going to be sufficient, however some of you seem to have run a chassis ground to another place on the car's body. Am I just misunderstanding some of you, or do I need to run a second ground? My lights are working fine right now.
Some people are running a redundant chassis ground connections. Can't hurt but unnecessary imo. The issue is the ground connection/current capability of the connector. I did the diy three years ago just like you & I am good.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #139
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
My ground (brown) wires to the tail light plugs had begun to melt and it damaged a bit of the plastic plugs that hold all the wires (including the ground) and plugs into the tail lights. I added the 2nd ground wire but didn't change the damaged plastic plugs, even though I bought them from the dealer, because it looked like too much work. I'm gonna ask the dealer to replace those plugs.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #140
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
only sedans?.. not tourings are effected?.....hmmmmmmmmmmm
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, recall, tailights