E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
hcardona111793

My Ride: 2004 325i
Khoalty Quality? taillights/ headlights? *QUESTION*

hello,

for my 2004 325i i am thinking in buying the back tailights and the side markers and the front side lights all from khoalty. this will all cost me about 150$. but how good is the quality? how is the durability on the khoalty lights?
any one have them?

thanks.!

hcardona111793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
TX78666

My Ride: 330i ZHP, N55 135i

TX78666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
I've heard a lot of people say that the Khoalty lighting lets in water over time.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
For rear lights i'd get OEM. I dont trust these Depo stuff's weather proofing. depo corners is fine.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
hcardona111793

ok so il just get the front corner lights and side lights! but they dont have OEM red/clear/red for sedan!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
They don't. Hmm. Well they have clear ones for coupe. Maybe only europe has the RCR.
Then just buy the depo RCR, make sure you seal it tight when installing
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Err, not much experience with Depo huh? The side and front corners are notorious for leaking and moisture condensation. Do a google search. On the other hand, the rear lights have rarely had water problems.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
MF325XI

My Ride: '03 325XI
I've had my R/C/R from khoalty since Christmas of 2010 and have no problems at all! No water or anything.

I also have the clear corners and side markers from khoalty and they work just fine. only issue was the side marker bulb connector seemed a bit loose so I wrapped it with electrical tape.

Last edited by MF325XI; 09-01-2011 at 05:49 PM.
MF325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
liquiddawn

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
I just recently purchased my R/C/R taillights and clear corners and side markers from Khoalty. I'm impressed with the quality of DEPO lighting. Honestly, it doesn't matter where you buy them from as all of them sell the DEPO lighting. If you want OEM tail lights, the only option you have is to get R/Y/R. I've had no problems installing the lighting and it all fit in perfectly. You won't regret your purchase.
liquiddawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
MF325XI

My Ride: '03 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddawn View Post
I just recently purchased my R/C/R taillights and clear corners and side markers from Khoalty. I'm impressed with the quality of DEPO lighting. Honestly, it doesn't matter where you buy them from as all of them sell the DEPO lighting. If you want OEM tail lights, the only option you have is to get R/Y/R. I've had no problems installing the lighting and it all fit in perfectly. You won't regret your purchase.
There is a site you can get oem rcrs but they are expensive. Can't remember the site but european bmws come with them stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
liquiddawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF325XI View Post
There is a site you can get oem rcrs but they are expensive. Can't remember the site but european bmws come with them stock.

That's true. But seriously(this is just my opinion) Why would you want to pay what they are asking for them? Last time I saw them they were about $400. In all honesty, I would rather pay $150 have these last a few years and if I need to replace them, I'll just buy another pair again for $150 and I'm still better off then buying the OEM's. Again, just my opinion. I know some people are always saying, "nothing but OEM"
Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
hcardona111793

Quote:
yea, ok, so as long as i seal them right, (dont know how or with what) then i should be fine. i will buy the front and side and see how those hold up.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
jiggz

My Ride: '05 ZHP & '12 X5 50i
Quote:
That's true. But seriously(this is just my opinion) Why would you want to pay what they are asking for them? Last time I saw them they were about $400. In all honesty, I would rather pay $150 have these last a few years and if I need to replace them, I'll just buy another pair again for $150 and I'm still better off then buying the OEM's. Again, just my opinion. I know some people are always saying, "nothing but OEM"
I buy OEM because I don't want to deal with crappy, aftermarket Chinese made products. I get really tired of all the people here complaining about their fogged up, poor fitting, melt your bulbs lights. Uh, you get what you pay for. A quick search will reveal countless issues w/ these products. I've been running OEM lights for 9 years (2 different sets on 2 different cars) and never had an issue. A big part of it for me is piece of mind - I don't want to deal with replacing these things....ever.
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
jiggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF325XI View Post

It's Turner Motorsports that carries them....
Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
liquiddawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I buy OEM because I don't want to deal with crappy, aftermarket Chinese made products. I get really tired of all the people here complaining about their fogged up, poor fitting, melt your bulbs lights. Uh, you get what you pay for. A quick search will reveal countless issues w/ these products. I've been running OEM lights for 9 years (2 different sets on 2 different cars) and never had an issue. A big part of it for me is piece of mind - I don't want to deal with replacing these things....ever.
Again, it was just my opinion. Also, some of us don't have those options when it comes to lighting. For my car(pre facelift sedan) they don't have any OEM tail light upgrades that I can purchase. Yes, I can purchase the R/C/R but then I would have to fiddle around with the factory wiring since those are 7pin and mine is 6. So I'm in the same place. Yes I can get OEM clear corners and side markers, but those aren't so serious and they are just plastic(not like the tail lights which do involve wiring in the light itself)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
hcardona111793

Quote:
Again, it was just my opinion. Also, some of us don't have those options when it comes to lighting. For my car(pre facelift sedan) they don't have any OEM tail light upgrades that I can purchase. Yes, I can purchase the R/C/R but then I would have to fiddle around with the factory wiring since those are 7pin and mine is 6. So I'm in the same place. Yes I can get OEM clear corners and side markers, but those aren't so serious and they are just plastic(not like the tail lights which do involve wiring in the light itself)
Quote:
yes i agree, the side markers and corners arent that bad, as long as i seal them properly, but the tail lights are different. il leave those alone for now..
Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #17
jiggz

Quote:
....For my car(pre facelift sedan) they don't have any OEM tail light upgrades that I can purchase...
Sure they do. I had them on my car when I had a pre-facelift -

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...nals-pair.aspx
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #18
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Your math is wrong.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #19
liquiddawn

Quote:
Sure they do. I had them on my car when I had a pre-facelift -

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...nals-pair.aspx
Thanks for the link but again, those are not R/C/R. Those are just C/R and honestly they still make the car look older and are not to my taste. I and many others would like to purchase R/C/R tail lights but, again, they aren't available for pre facelifted sedans. I'm not arguing with you and I'm not saying that OEM parts aren't worth it because by all means they really are worth the extra cost. It's just that sometimes, some of us don't have those options.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcardona111793 View Post
ok so il just get the front corner lights and side lights! but they dont have OEM red/clear/red for sedan!
Not OEM, but DEPO: http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/light...tails-rcr.html

We sell a lot of DEPO stuff and have for years, there are a few people who have issues but pretty much all of them are fixable. A very very slim amount of our corners have the condensation issue but I can't think of any time since I've been here it hasn't been fixable without swapping the corners for replacements.

OEM is always better than aftermarket, but in my opinion, and this is not because I work here, OEM cost is typically just not worth it. All of my BMW's have DEPO products on them, they all blink, they all fit, they don't fall out, and they don't get condensation, so really I don't think OEM is worth it.

My E39 I /did/ do a HELLA Celis tail retrofit, but that's because it was a great deal and there is nothing aftermarket that even comes close to them.
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlights, kohalty, quality, taillights