E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
moonroof /sunroof on an old car and stupid people!

I know E46 is not that old but...
Iíve owned few older BMWs E30/E36 and only one thing about them irritated me so much and that is the stupid sunroof. I live in hot AZ so if I use the sunroof all I will get is hot air and strong sun, there is no enjoyment to me, so I never used them, I just open the window.
When I was selling some of the cars the first thing people do is mess with the sunroof like it is something that they must have and they are buying 20+ year old car for 2K, WTF?
One time I borrowed my BMW to my friend and first thing he did is open the Fín sunroof and guess what it jammed and it wouldnít close anymore, and I had to remove the irreplaceable headliner on E30 just so that I can close it back, and I was stuck with no headliner. I was so pissed off.
Now first thing I do when I buy an older car is if the sunroof is closed, I remove the switch so that I donít have to have a stupid problem with stupid people with worthless thing like sunroof.

Is there something wrong with me?
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
BimProject

My Ride: '02 325i
Nope, I personally do not use the sunroof either, and I wouldn
t mind having one either. Having said that, I would not use the sunroof if I even had one.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Nothing wrong at all, whatever you do is totally fine, but for me, I always tilt up the moonroof whenever I can and enjoy a little fresh air even with the air condition turned on.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
It's your car, so if you'd rather not use the sunroof, then it's fine. That said, I'd remove the fuse and not the switch, looks cleaner.

That said, personally I live in the Phoenix area myself and while I agree with your stance in the summer months, I definitely make use of the sunroof in the cooler months.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Classified

My Ride: E46 316 1.8i Sport
Nothing wrong!
There are many people who don't like the sunroof, but allso many who do like it.
I personally would do pretty much anything for a sunroof, except change my car
I do have all the parts for it but no one who wants to do it without wanting billions...

bee-emm-vii
OEM OBC retrofit done, OEM front arm rest done, OEM cup holder done, OEM footwell lights done, OEM rear power windows done, LED Interior lighting incl. License Plate done, OEM Rear-View Mirror w/nose w/auto.dimm done

To Come: OEM Alarm, Xenons w/AE's w/autom. levelling, Rain sensor, Light sensor, Projector fogs, OEM Sunroof, Speaker update+ headunit, OEM autom. air-cond. OEM rear seats w/armrest.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
younGun392

My Ride: S.L.O.W
I know how you feel, you can't use a sunroof in the middle of summer in Cyprus! Trust me. Keep it closed, rip off the controls. Sounds perfectly logical to me
younGun392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
gueste46
Banned User

I live in beautiful Byron Bay on the East Coast of Australia. A sunroof is just perfect for this climate. Also, it allows pretty girls standing on the balcony of one of our Byron Bay restaurants to better see me as I cruise down the street (middle aged men like me live in a fantasy land).

Eat your hearts out or just come visit

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
I use the sunroof all day long. Good way to freshen the air with minimal drag on highways.
On my BMw however, always on tilt and if it did get opened, I'd be praying to fake jesus.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Love my sunroof. Use it all the time, winter and summer.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I live in beautiful Byron Bay on the East Coast of Australia. A sunroof is just perfect for this climate. Also, it allows pretty girls standing on the balcony of one of our Byron Bay restaurants to better see me as I cruise down the street (middle aged men like me live in a fantasy land).

Eat your hearts out or just come visit

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
I'm completely speechless
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
LittleChrist12

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
Having a sunroof on my E46 325xi is just fine for spring and fall drives. However, I opted not to have one on my E90 M3 just to keep the weight down.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
I understand you guys, but I was talking more about older BMWs, the E46 is still new and most sunroofs will still work, that is ok. But on older car that you are buying just to go to work for cheap. People will not look at how old are the tires, how old are the belt and hoses, oil leaks, etc, but they will look at if the stupid sunroof works
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
People like to drive around with sunroof tilted open a slit. It's must be cool or something. I don't have sun roof
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
Classified

My Ride: E46 316 1.8i Sport
I think especially in older cars where the sunroof is not that common makes it speciall! I guess some people just have to tuch the sunroof if they see it...
This goes for other things to, if it's in the car, and it's some thing a little 'special' some people have to tuch it! And ofcourse in some cases it it's annoying.

bee-emm-vii
OEM OBC retrofit done, OEM front arm rest done, OEM cup holder done, OEM footwell lights done, OEM rear power windows done, LED Interior lighting incl. License Plate done, OEM Rear-View Mirror w/nose w/auto.dimm done

To Come: OEM Alarm, Xenons w/AE's w/autom. levelling, Rain sensor, Light sensor, Projector fogs, OEM Sunroof, Speaker update+ headunit, OEM autom. air-cond. OEM rear seats w/armrest.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
I am trying to buy a classic and I want a car with the sunroof option. The car :1985 - 1987 liftback AE86 Corolla with electric tilt/slide sunroof (metal). Matter of preference really. I also want an E92 M3 but obviously want the carbon fibre roof instead of the sunroof in THAT case. I like sunroofs. Some people like sunroofs, some don't
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
I rarely slide mine open, and when I do i only do it about halfway. I always tilt it up though, never had a problem with that.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I use my sunroof all the time, if I'm not using the ac I have the sunroof flared up (added style too ) and if it's cloudy or not that sunny I take it all the way back.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote