E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
bmw East N Bull

My Ride: Bmw
Would Cam position sensor keep your car from starting?

After reading the codes, i got 2 Misfires and cam position sensor, would that keep my car from starting, My car is still sitting in my drive way and hasnt started for a week noww?
bmw East N Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Yes, of course it would.

hi its me alec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yup. Which sensor is it? The DIY is easy by the way and you can get the OEM (ONLY OEM) sensor from ecstuning.com
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
bmw East N Bull

Its coming up as Cam position sensor
Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

But it should say like sensor a or b or something like that.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
bmw East N Bull

i will check it tommorow first thing, Im not really farmilliar with the sensors but is there a difference with Camshaft and crankshaft sensor??? where is the crankshaft located

thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Well I'm saying there is an intake sensor and an exhaust sensor. Get back to us when you can.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw East N Bull View Post
i will check it tommorow first thing, Im not really farmilliar with the sensors but is there a difference with Camshaft and crankshaft sensor??? where is the crankshaft located

thanks
The crankshaft is toward the bottom of the block. Cams are right underneath the valve cover up top. All the sensors are toward the front of the engine

hi its me alec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
My understanding is that a bad crank sensor would cause the car not to crank. A bad cam sensor, the car would crank, but not start.

But, just to complicate things, I'm pretty sure guys have gotten cam sensor codes, replaced them, and still have issues starting. I don't know what else might trigger a cps code that's not the cps...something upstream of it. Timing is pretty well fixed. Only other thing that messes with timing is the vanos...maybe it's retarded--literally and figuratively!

I don't know that the vanos can get stuck in a position where it's retarding or advancing incorrectly and thus the cps might pick up on that. Just a guess. I'm not a mechanic and don't play one on the Internet!

Search cps, camshaft position sensor, in advanced/title search along with 'no start' and see what you get. You're not the first no start with cps codes I'm positive. Don't go ordering parts just yet. Do the research.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw East N Bull View Post

thanks
OP stay very clear from your engine please. That's all Im gonna say, I warned you.

It doesnt matter which sensor goes bad, the car will still turn over no matter what. The sensor going bad wont keep the battery from applying voltage to the starter. Thus turning over the engine. The crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor(s) work in unisyn with eachother to determine the correct time to apply voltage to any specific cylinders at that time. Vehicles WITHOUT distributors typically have these types of sensors otherwise the car has no idea when to apply spark and to what cylinders.

Last edited by Loaded325i; 09-02-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
SweetBMW

My Ride: 318CIA
Bad Crankshaft sensor = car will start, but will require a few more rounds on the starter motor before the cam position sensors take over RPM reading and firing positions. Will also (possibly, not all cars do this) struggle to get past 4000rpm. lots of misfire, hesitation of throttle.

Bad camshaft position sensor: car will start, (might also require few more rounds on the starter motor), and have reduced power.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded325i View Post
OP stay very clear from your engine please. That's all Im gonna say, I warned you.

It doesnt matter which sensor goes bad, the car will still turn over no matter what. The sensor going bad wont keep the battery from applying voltage to the starter. Thus turning over the engine. The crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor(s) work in unisyn with eachother to determine the correct time to apply voltage to any specific cylinders at that time. Vehicles WITHOUT distributors typically have these types of sensors otherwise the car has no idea when to apply spark and to what cylinders.
Goes to prove you can't trust what you hear on the Internet! If you're right, Loaded, then I apologize for passing along rumors...as it seems I may have done regarding a bad crank position sensor causing a no-crank.

We have a number of seasoned professional mechanics here, and it's easy to tell the really good ones--they're patient, explain clearly, and don't condescend. You can recommend getting the car to a shop without also insulting someone. I do it all the time!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote