E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #21
SB_RavenE46

My Ride: 330CI ,06 R6, S1000
Send a message via Yahoo to SB_RavenE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN330ci View Post
That's terrible man! Catch em and kill em!
+1, Shoot first ask questions later, that's exactly why I keep my bimmer garaged sorry to hear that OP you got a factory alarm?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #22
GodsSon

My Ride: 325i
Bad Luck, but welcome to the world of throwing piles of cash at your bmw! Repairs will depend on how deep the scratches are, if their shallow....$1500 if their deep ....$3000. Yes you will have to pay deductible......

Living in Jersey I would suggest you get an alarm, $600 at best buy gets you a Viper pager alarm system with 5000 meter range..... so you know when people are messing with your ride

From my experience..... cops are good at finding donut shops....
GodsSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #23
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
I wonder if those flamethrower anti theft devices would prevent this?
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #24
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth1234 View Post
I don't think you can.

The immoboliser in BMWs are incredibly well made.
But range rover has the same immobilizer technology. Range rovers are the same line of family as the BMW. how did they manage to steal 2 range rovers in the first place.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #25
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Maybe it's just me but that looks like an amateur attempt to break in a car. Were the scratches there before or after the attempt? if after, thats an even worse attempt at an attempted theft....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #26
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
jersey

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #27
MindFK

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by newe46fan View Post
Sorry to hear OP.

I'm not sure why they even bothered. If they were even able to get in they wouldn't be able to get it started since the key is not in the ignition communicating with the EWS module... Unless they've got a hold of some sort of black market BMW stealing kit...

You have no idea...lol If someone wants to steal your car they will. These were amateurs.

OP: Where did this happen? Newark? Paterson? Hoboken?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
OneOfaKindTrini

My Ride: 540i w/ 3 Pedals..
definately call insurance. and yes, if someone really wants to steal your car they will steal it.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #29
jetblackmaverick

My Ride: parting out...=(
wtf, you will need a repaint on the door and quarter panel, and definitely get the blank keyhole cover from bmw to stump dumb ****ing uneducated thieves.
jetblackmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #30
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Lojack is a solid bet. As i am aware, when a slim jim is put down the door the locks slide into place and you have to get it towed to BMW
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #31
shizat63

My Ride: 05' 330i ZHP
So I guess they're still doing this sh!t in Jersey ARGH! The fvckers are looking for the spare key in the glove box. Happened to me twice, so I stopped fixing it.

Replace it with a Euro passenger door cover. 7 years ago mine cost $20 plus $5 paint. They haven't touched it since.

Oh and Fvck Jersey I wish I could get the F out of here!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #32
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63 View Post
So I guess they're still doing this sh!t in Jersey ARGH! The fvckers are looking for the spare key in the glove box. Happened to me twice, so I stopped fixing it.

Replace it with a Euro passenger door cover. 7 years ago mine cost $20 plus $5 paint. They haven't touched it since.

Is it really that bad?

Oh wait. Yes it is since you have to make a right to turn left. Lol
Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #33
IMOLAZHP06

My Ride: 2006 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
i don't BELIEVE they charge you a deductible on vandalism. it should be free. but don't quote me on that. talk to your agent asap and find out. if you do get back to us because i'd be curious to know if i'm actually correct
I called Geico, they said that I must report and file a claim. However I don't have to continue with a claim if I get an estimate that is cheaper then my deductible. They said I must pay a $500 deductible. So far I've been getting a range of $750 to $2-$3k. If its $750 then no point in going through insurance right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJai323 View Post
Sorry to hear about the car.

Can the thieves actually drive of with the car? Or were they after the contents in the car?
The cop said it looks like they were trying to steal the car because if they wanted what is inside they would've just smashed the window. Plus I have a radar detector that I always take down every time I park and lock it in my glove box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHud3 View Post
Same thing happened to me last Thursday. All they got off was that little plastic thing that goes over the lock. Good thing our cars are difficult to break in to
Oh man you got lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_RavenE46 View Post
+1, Shoot first ask questions later, that's exactly why I keep my bimmer garaged sorry to hear that OP you got a factory alarm?
I don't believe I do, I did not see it on the window sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
Bad Luck, but welcome to the world of throwing piles of cash at your bmw! Repairs will depend on how deep the scratches are, if their shallow....$1500 if their deep ....$3000. Yes you will have to pay deductible......

Living in Jersey I would suggest you get an alarm, $600 at best buy gets you a Viper pager alarm system with 5000 meter range..... so you know when people are messing with your ride

From my experience..... cops are good at finding donut shops....
I had a Viper on my Acura TL. It was great. I spoke to my installer at Best Buy he said that it's actually easier to program the Smart Start on a BMW then on my Acura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Maybe it's just me but that looks like an amateur attempt to break in a car. Were the scratches there before or after the attempt? if after, thats an even worse attempt at an attempted theft....
The paint was flawless when I picked it up. All scratches were from the attempted theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFK View Post
You have no idea...lol If someone wants to steal your car they will. These were amateurs.

OP: Where did this happen? Newark? Paterson? Hoboken?
It happened in the Short Hills Mall, 15-20 minutes away from all those locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackmaverick View Post
wtf, you will need a repaint on the door and quarter panel, and definitely get the blank keyhole cover from bmw to stump dumb ****ing uneducated thieves.
Yeah, I think the keyhole cover is $60 if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63 View Post

$20? that's not bad. Was it from a BMW dealership?
IMOLAZHP06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
shizat63

My Ride: 05' 330i ZHP
$40 painted - http://www.bimmian.com/46/KHC/
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHud3 View Post
Same thing happened to me last Thursday. All they got off was that little plastic thing that goes over the lock. Good thing our cars are difficult to break in to
actually they are very easy to break into, all you need is a bag and a pump and a thin copper pipe that you can bend into a right angle at the end, slide the bag into the seam of the drivers door, pump it up, the drivers door will bend out enough to stick in the pipe, move the pipe around until you can push the unlock button with the end of it, car unlocks...you get in. how do you think the locksmith gets into our cars if we get locked out? now starting it is the hard part, you will need a computer like stated above.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 09-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #36
E36bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
this looks like someone side swiped your car, I would put in a claim for hit and run. and see if anyone has plate numbers for the other car that was stolen. If I am reading it right they stole another car close to yours? I bet they took off and hit your car on the way out.

EDIT: nm i thought the reflection on your car was white paint at first glance...

04 ZHP alpine white
20% tint
K&N
Shadow trim, Blackout grills, 18" Black Staggered ASA AR1, LED's everywhere, Black euro plate

Last edited by E36bimmer; 09-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
E36bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
Optio

My Ride: 328i
That is not an attempted break in.....that is side swipe damage
Optio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
FYI, OP ordered keyhole cover. this thread is long since dead...

also, if you think that is sideswipe damage I want you to be the insurance adjuster next time I get in an accident

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 11-01-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #39
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
actually they are very easy to break into, all you need is a bag and a pump and a thin copper pipe that you can bend into a right angle at the end, slide the bag into the seam of the drivers door, pump it up, the drivers door will bend out enough to stick in the pipe, move the pipe around until you can push the unlock button with the end of it, car unlocks...you get in. how do you think the locksmith gets into our cars if we get locked out? now starting it is the hard part, you will need a computer like stated above.
the unlock button does nothing when the doors are locked with the key. this is an anti theft feature. it's also funny as crap cause you can lock people in your car.

i think the only way to get around it is to hit the lock (it'll do nothing) then try the door then hit the lock again. then i think it will unlock.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #40
jiggynites

My Ride: 97EK 00 E46 03 745i
I stay away from Newark or Elizabeth NJ anywhere around there no car is safe.
sucks there are so many car thief's there and most of them under 21