E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
KCHPFM3

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3
Hpf 2.5 falling into random rich mode. Help!

My 2.5 has been falling into an awful rich mode (11 at idle) and runs very poorly after it gets warmed up a bit and then usually goes back to normal (13.9 idle) after sitting for a couple hours. I have only had it 4 weeks and it seems to have gotten progressively worse. It would do it once and then not go into the mode for a week, now it seems like every day.
It is not o2 or map sensor and the plugs were changed by hpf before I bought it. I have a local shop looking at it but without being able to look at the timing and everything we can't figure it out yet. He has a call into Chris at hpf so hopefully he will be able to help. Any ideas?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Is it only rich at startup or does it get rich after driving around for a while? Do you have an aftermarket thermostat? The car will be rich during warmup until coolant temps reach normal temps.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
KCHPFM3

It's fine at start up. The rich mode kicks in after driving around and normal engine temp is reached. And then it won't go away until the car cools down. Def temp. related. Thermostat should be stock.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin

Interesting indeed. Sounds similar to the problem Marcus was having but I dont think they ever figured it out. How many km's do you have on your setup? V2 or V1 EMS? Other mods? Did Chris ever post up your car on the forums? I've noticed ever since Mfest there has been a large reduction in postings of freshly built HPF cars...something I've always enjoyed.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Interesting indeed. Sounds similar to the problem Marcus was having but I dont think they ever figured it out. How many km's do you have on your setup? V2 or V1 EMS? Other mods? Did Chris ever post up your car on the forums? I've noticed ever since Mfest there has been a large reduction in postings of freshly built HPF cars...something I've always enjoyed.
I think he bought it used.

I could be WAY THE HELL WRONG HERE but I thought someone mentioned a symptom like this being related to TPS sensors.

My car just ran rich as a pig period.. didn't matter if it was warm/cold/etc... it was a rushed tune the day before MFest with plugs that were to cold. Likely easily fixable had I sent the EMS to HPF but I wound up going ProEFI so I didn't want to waste anyones time at HPF. But his sounds intermittent and I could have swore that the TPS sensors could cause that sort of behavior, especially if not all replaced at once.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 09-05-2011 at 01:01 AM.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
KCHPFM3

I did by it used. I am the 3rd owner and the build has appx. 14k miles on it. It was a local portland car and hpf did all the normal maintenance on it. They also tested it thoroughly before the previous owner sold it to make sure everything was in order. It drives excellent when it does not slip into this mode. The only other engine mods are hpf cf intake, rogue el diablo exhaust, and earls oil cooler. Maybe its tps...
Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHPFM3 View Post
I did by it used. I am the 3rd owner and the build has appx. 14k miles on it. It was a local portland car and hpf did all the normal maintenance on it. They also tested it thoroughly before the previous owner sold it to make sure everything was in order. It drives excellent when it does not slip into this mode. The only other engine mods are hpf cf intake, rogue el diablo exhaust, and earls oil cooler. Maybe its tps...
Thanks
Before digging to deep I'd wait until tomorrow and see what the crew at HPF recommends. It could be something they've seen before.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
KCHPFM3

Just an update that we haven't gotten a hold of tech at hpf yet...hopefully tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer
Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Hpf has a trouble shooting guide on their website. Check it out, answers a lot of questions.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
KCHPFM3

Yes, thanks we have been looking at that and did some troubleshooting from it but were hoping to narrow it down a bit based on the symptoms.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHPFM3 View Post
Yes, thanks we have been looking at that and did some troubleshooting from it but were hoping to narrow it down a bit based on the symptoms.
Did u ever solve this problem?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
KCHPFM3

Yes, it ended up being the dual vanos that had gone bad. We replaced it with a refurbished one from Dr. Vanos and the cryo-sealed hub. Not cheap, but all is working well now!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #13
Cipri

My Ride: E46 M3 2002
My vanos is also gone, how much did you pay for the Dr's unit?
Cipri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
KCHPFM3

Rough cost estimate:

Vanos-$1200
Cryo sealed exhaust hub-$900
Labor-20 hrs appx.
New Cam bolts-$20

Not cheap but the results were great! I only purchased the hub as it was recommended for high horsepower cars.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
Commanderwiggin

Labor depends on who does it...5-8 is more realistic but the other figures are legit and the job requires special tools.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #16
Cipri

Mine has the same symptoms - pig rich at idle (10.1-10.5 AFR) and loss of torque at low rpm. On scanner I receive vanos errors...

First I thought the bolts where backing out, taken everything apart and found bolts where in original position - nothing moved. Then I noticed in the vanos unit that the small piston on the intake side is not sliding freely (like the exhaust one), it was randomly blocking... So new vanos unit is needed, I don't know if to buy it from DrVanos or to buy a second hand one.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
KCHPFM3

I would think the Dr. Vanos would be best as they upgrade certain parts to make it more telltale. What's the cost difference?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipri View Post
Mine has the same symptoms - pig rich at idle (10.1-10.5 AFR) and loss of torque at low rpm. On scanner I receive vanos errors...

First I thought the bolts where backing out, taken everything apart and found bolts where in original position - nothing moved. Then I noticed in the vanos unit that the small piston on the intake side is not sliding freely (like the exhaust one), it was randomly blocking... So new vanos unit is needed, I don't know if to buy it from DrVanos or to buy a second hand one.
Bought all my vanos parts from Dr.Vanos after having countless issues with vanos and trying second hand parts to only end up with the same problem & new ones. Every new Dr.vanos piece I put my car would be back to normal until the next weakest link gave up. After basically replacing everything from Dr.vanos my car has been perfect ever since +1 for Dr.vanos
Think0rz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
Cipri

A second hand vanos unit is 350$ here local, I don't have to pay for labour because I can make the swap, already changed the vanos bolts by myself.
I think I will wait until spring when building the engine and see what remaining budget I have.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipri View Post

glad u went used...
pm sent

Last edited by Dreikraft; 01-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote