E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
mcguiver7

My Ride: 323i
new fan clutch but still have truck noise

2000 323i w/ 110k miles

My problem is I just replaced the fan clutch with a brand new one (MTC) from ecs tuning. It stays locked at start up even when the engine is cool and continues to stay locked regardless of temp or rpm. Any ideas as to why a brand new fan clutch would constantly engage?

The domino effect started with me changing the coolant (used bmw coolant). Expansion tank cracked a week later (older style) and replaced with the newer style (red bobber stick). Then the water pump bearings went and I replaced that. Then the fan clutch was constantly engaged. So I replaced the fan clutch with a brand new one (MTC) from ecs tuning. Also noticed the lower intake boot elbow had a few large cracks (but oddly no lean engine codes) so that also got replaced.

Completely off topic, but also wanted to mention i'm on my third front driver window regulator. Last one I bought from ecs tuning lasted 3 months. The rear driver side regulator just went out for the 3rd time as well. both passengers have gone out at least once. Tracks have all been greased. The door ajar function in the door lock module on both front doors have failed. Cam sensor failure around 60k. This evening the oil light came on at start up for a brief second. 5 bucks says that sensor is bad.

I think my 87 325is (295k miles on the odom) was more reliable than this car. Venting complete............
mcguiver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguiver7 View Post
2000 323i w/ 110k miles

My problem is I just replaced the fan clutch with a brand new one (MTC) from ecs tuning. It stays locked at start up even when the engine is cool and continues to stay locked regardless of temp or rpm. Any ideas as to why a brand new fan clutch would constantly engage?

The domino effect started with me changing the coolant (used bmw coolant). Expansion tank cracked a week later (older style) and replaced with the newer style (red bobber stick). Then the water pump bearings went and I replaced that. Then the fan clutch was constantly engaged. So I replaced the fan clutch with a brand new one (MTC) from ecs tuning. Also noticed the lower intake boot elbow had a few large cracks (but oddly no lean engine codes) so that also got replaced.

Completely off topic, but also wanted to mention i'm on my third front driver window regulator. Last one I bought from ecs tuning lasted 3 months. The rear driver side regulator just went out for the 3rd time as well. both passengers have gone out at least once. Tracks have all been greased. The door ajar function in the door lock module on both front doors have failed. Cam sensor failure around 60k. This evening the oil light came on at start up for a brief second. 5 bucks says that sensor is bad.

I think my 87 325is (295k miles on the odom) was more reliable than this car. Venting complete............
If you want the truck/bus sound gone you need to do the electrical fan swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
mcguiver7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmo View Post
If you want the truck/bus sound gone you need to do the electrical fan swap
I read up on it, but i'm having a hard time justifying the costs when a fan clutch is $65-165. I was just hoping maybe there is some sort of break in period. Doesn't make sense that initially the noise wasn't there. Maybe the MTC fan clutch is junk?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
avglushk

My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
Truck noise is always there. U probably just didnt pay that much attention to it. In winter time it's hard to hear it but in summer time it's always there. U need to do electrical fan swap like Shmo said. Hope that helps.
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
you need to return the MTC part and buy an OEM part or at the very least, a BEHR part.

The new fan clutch is defective.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
you need to return the MTC part and buy an OEM part or at the very least, a BEHR part.

The new fan clutch is defective.
The electric Behr fan is $184 right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
+1 on getting a Behr or Sachs clutch, but.... I would just double the price, do the swap and sell the aux fan and the other parts. THE best thing I ever did to the car.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
mcguiver7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmo View Post
The electric Behr fan is $184 right now
And that's for everything plug and play? Can you tell me who's selling it for that much? Considering the mechanical oem is 165, i'd spend $20 more for the electric.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Here is my DIY

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthr...735&highlight=

Here is the part: 17117561757

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...item1e65f7dc1d

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
polychrome

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
+1 on getting a Behr or Sachs clutch, but.... I would just double the price, do the swap and sell the aux fan and the other parts. THE best thing I ever did to the car.
+1

Taking out the mechanical fan / aux fan combo and replacing it with an electric fan will make that bus/freight truck noise go away. I did mine last week and I'll never go back to the OEM setup.
polychrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Twright

My Ride: 1989 325ic, 1999 328
Before you spend money on an electric fan, make sure it's the fan that's making the noise. On my car, the noise was the power steering pump. Take the mechanical fan off and drive it. If it still makes the noise, it's not the fan. Be careful when you do this and keep the car moving, so that it does not overheat.
Twright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
mcguiver7

Did the electric fan swap today. only took about an hour. noise is finally gone and it even feels a bit more peppy without the drag of the fan.