E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
bimmergirl43

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Thumbs Up Opinions on headlights?

Hello all
I have a 2002 BMW 330i
Trying to make my car look bad ass and wondering opinions for headlights?

My friend said that it already has good head lights and I shouldn't replace them?
Is that true?

what are your opinions on getting halo lights?

Also, has anyone seen a bmw with those led strip lights on the headlights.. you know the things that are becoming more and more popular on new cars? they look cool on newer cars cause they are straight but with the 2002's weird head light design of the circles you know what i mean? would that look tacky/weird to get the LED strip lights?

Last, has anyone seen them with a medium tint? opinions?
I have a black car so idk if the tint would look good or too much black..
bimmergirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Your friend is right. Tints don't look particularly good on these cars, and your headlights are very good from the factory if they are xenons. Halos are a popular option as well, and they're extremely easy to install for sedans.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
jaosbmw

My Ride: 2002 330i
I've got Angel Eyes on my e46 and I love them. they're 10k temp, really bright when it's dark out and still noticeable during the day. I've also got 35% tint all around and I love the tint as well. My interior is tan so it makes the tint not look so dark during the day time, but at night you can barely see in.

Do you have chrome window trims? I'd get tint for contrasting colors
Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Estoril Blue!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Yup if your car has Xenons you're pretty much set. If you have halogens you COULD retrofit Xenon projectors in if you feel like it. LED strips are a massive meh for me, but the angel eyes are a great option (i have Orion V4's on mine). My car is factory tinted all around except for the front windscreen. Sorry, I'm not sure what % tint I have.

'03 325i Individual
See my progress thread!
Bafffyyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
bimmergirl43

Thanks for the opinions!
I dont think i'll get the LED strips... seams like it would be hard to make it look good cause of the shape of the head lights...
I'm very much considering halo's because they just look cool but at the same time if the stock ones are also badass......idk what to do... lol i have not really looked at my headlights directly, just from behind the wheels..haven't had the car long.. lol.

Oh and I meant tint on the headlights.. i'm sure its illegal but i've seen a few pics of people doing it on other cars but not on a bmw. i'm thinking it would probably look stupid though.
I do have tint on my windows although it looks a tad bit blueish during the day...idk if it bothers me enough to replace..
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Do not tint your headlights.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
bimmergirl43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaosbmw View Post
I've got Angel Eyes on my e46 and I love them. they're 10k temp, really bright when it's dark out and still noticeable during the day. I've also got 35% tint all around and I love the tint as well. My interior is tan so it makes the tint not look so dark during the day time, but at night you can barely see in.

Do you have chrome window trims? I'd get tint for contrasting colors
Thanks for the reply!
Are halo's flashier than the stock xenons? I don't really know much about xenons but if they are so nice then why do people replace them? are they nicer than halos?

Ok glad you brought up the chrome trim, yes i do have it... but mine is like faded/washed out looking... any idea how to clean it? I tried water, cleaner, everything and nothing happens..
Old 07-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Don't tint your headlights. Such a pain in the ass tearing that crap off and restoring the lenses. Trust me..the novelty wears off
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandroxpgs View Post
Also check all electronical and transmission.

Last edited by Swater330i; 07-21-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmergirl43 View Post
Thanks for the reply!
Are halo's flashier than the stock xenons? I don't really know much about xenons but if they are so nice then why do people replace them? are they nicer than halos?

Ok glad you brought up the chrome trim, yes i do have it... but mine is like faded/washed out looking... any idea how to clean it? I tried water, cleaner, everything and nothing happens..
You have a lot to learn about headlights. You can add angel eyes to your lights whether they're xenon lights or not.

Go to the lighting forum and start reading threads. You can't just go aimlessly doing things to your lights. Do it once. Do it right.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
bimmergirl43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You have a lot to learn about headlights. You can add angel eyes to your lights whether they're xenon lights or not.

Go to the lighting forum and start reading threads. You can't just go aimlessly doing things to your lights. Do it once. Do it right.
Haha that is kind of why i made this thread because i wanted to get some opinions and then once i decided what would be best i was gonna do a **** ton of research and see what route to go...
I have seen halos for sale but not done really any research, the way people talk about them it always seams like a full headlight replacement but thanks for letting me know it's just an add on. i'll def probably get them now.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
WDE46

Quote:
Haha that is kind of why i made this thread because i wanted to get some opinions and then once i decided what would be best i was gonna do a **** ton of research and see what route to go...

I have seen halos for sale but not done really any research, the way people talk about them it always seams like a full headlight replacement but thanks for letting me know it's just an add on. i'll def probably get them now.

Most of the time people buy angle eyes from a place like Umnitza. Search e46 angel eye DIY and something will come up.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
OP if you haven't had your e46 long and you aren't sure of what to do then I would take a step back and look into what maintenance is needed on these cars. They require quite a bit to keep them running tip top so do some reading and instead of blowing money on cheap tacky mods, spend it on making sure your car is handling and running as a BMW should. Otherwise you may as well just be driving a honda or toyota. You will notice a big difference in a completely refreshed e46 and one that is not. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
bimmergirl43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
OP if you haven't had your e46 long and you aren't sure of what to do then I would take a step back and look into what maintenance is needed on these cars. They require quite a bit to keep them running tip top so do some reading and instead of blowing money on cheap tacky mods, spend it on making sure your car is handling and running as a BMW should. Otherwise you may as well just be driving a honda or toyota. You will notice a big difference in a completely refreshed e46 and one that is not. Good luck.

Thanks i'm actually glad you brought that up.....I've had it inspected 3 times and had each place tell me different things.... Then I checked the parts myself (well had my dad check them) and he said that they were things that weren't perfect but not to the point of needing replacement.. I'm pretty dang sure they were just trying to rip me off. I mean they all said different things...If I had my local dealership inspect it would they probably do the same thing? I hate being scammed because they think im a dumb girl. I'm not just gonna drop all that money without making sure it needs it myself.. unless idk what i'm looking at but you can usually look it up online. Pisses me off. any idea what to do?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Estoril Blue!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
If you can recall, what's all the things that they said needed work? While things might not need to replaced straight away, some things are better replaced before failure, and others after failure i.e. Non critical to function

'03 325i Individual
See my progress thread!
Bafffyyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #15
CJin2552

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Hello all
I have a 2002 BMW 330i
Trying to make my car look bad ass and wondering opinions for headlights?

My friend said that it already has good head lights and I shouldn't replace them?
Is that true?

what are your opinions on getting halo lights?

Also, has anyone seen a bmw with those led strip lights on the headlights.. you know the things that are becoming more and more popular on new cars? they look cool on newer cars cause they are straight but with the 2002's weird head light design of the circles you know what i mean? would that look tacky/weird to get the LED strip lights?

Last, has anyone seen them with a medium tint? opinions?
I have a black car so idk if the tint would look good or too much black..
If you have Xenons, you don't really have to worry about changing them out for anything better. BMW Xenons are unbelievably good, mine came with halogens so I retrofitted mine.

Halos are cool, but if you want to be unique, you probably want to find some amberish halos, like that of the ones on the E39 5-Series. The white/6000K halos are very common.

Tinted headlights are pretty pointless, it degrades your light output and you'd get a lot of crap from enthusiasts here. If anything, you could paint your reflector bowls to give a more aggressive look, it almost looks tinted, but doesn't diminish the light output (for Xenons, it does for halogens).

With the LED strips, if you decide to go down that path, I would recommend that you do it on the upper part of the headlights. Like that of the LCI 1-Series and 5-Series. I was planning to go down this path and see how it looked, but I have yet to do it, and I don't think anyone else has, so no pictures to post of an E46 with this design.

Here's how my headlights look if you want to go down the path I did.

I simply have Quad Xenons, flat black reflector bowls and shrouds, and Umnitza Orion V2 halos.

Last edited by CJin2552; 07-22-2014 at 12:51 AM.
CJin2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 AM   #16
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Just stick with angel eyes.

I've got 4300k temp ones on mine

(click for larger)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
phoopsta
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
I love my OEM xenons, cost me $650 but worth it over the cheap ebay ones the previous owner put on. I am looking into some angel eyes myself.

phoopsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
WDE46

Quote:
Thanks i'm actually glad you brought that up.....I've had it inspected 3 times and had each place tell me different things.... Then I checked the parts myself (well had my dad check them) and he said that they were things that weren't perfect but not to the point of needing replacement.. I'm pretty dang sure they were just trying to rip me off. I mean they all said different things...If I had my local dealership inspect it would they probably do the same thing? I hate being scammed because they think im a dumb girl. I'm not just gonna drop all that money without making sure it needs it myself.. unless idk what i'm looking at but you can usually look it up online. Pisses me off. any idea what to do?

I think there's a thread floating around about what to do and look at when you first get you e46.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
If you wanna look badass, I highly recommend investing in a bandana (might want to check with local law enforcement on what colors NOT to wear).

No but seriously leave your headlights alone. Nothing worse than seeing a teenager rolling down the street in his new "BM" with "tight ass" lights accompanied by all the other juvenile ebay mods like teenage suspension, teenage roundel stickers, sideways stickers, illest stickers, forward facing big-bill baseball caps with gold round stickers on the bottom, neon sunglasses, cheap this cheap that. Crap just offended the entire w/t forum and half of this forum.

If you want to make a real meaningful difference? Go to HIDPlanet and see what the elite are doing. Be prepared though cause to do anything right in this world (lighting no exception) it takes adult bucks. No chump change.

GL!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
If you wanna look badass, I highly recommend investing in a bandana (might want to check with local law enforcement on what colors NOT to wear).

No but seriously leave your headlights alone. Nothing worse than seeing a teenager rolling down the street in his new "BM" with "tight ass" lights accompanied by all the other juvenile ebay mods like teenage suspension, teenage roundel stickers, sideways stickers, illest stickers, forward facing big-bill baseball caps with gold round stickers on the bottom, neon sunglasses, cheap this cheap that. Crap just offended the entire w/t forum and half of this forum.

If you want to make a real meaningful difference? Go to HIDPlanet and see what the elite are doing. Be prepared though cause to do anything right in this world (lighting no exception) it takes adult bucks. No chump change.

GL!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 330, halo, headllights, led strip lights, opinion