E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
saby_rod

My Ride: 2000 328i
LED side marker and corner questions

Ive been reseaching this but i have gotten mixed answers. I have a 2000 328i that i just bought smoked out corners and side markers for from DDM tuning. I want to put LED is them so i wont get that egg yolk effect when the lights arent on. I know you need a resistor for the corner lights but what about the side markers? Some people say you need them some people say you dont. I eventually want to get LED Eagle EYE tails and some LED Angel eyes in the future so it all matches up. thanks.
saby_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
You don't need resistors for the sides.
----
When you are ready, look at the Orion V2 for the angel eyes.
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
MitchSF

My Ride: 11 M3 DCT
Some side marker LEDs glow dimly when they're not blinking, some don't. It is definitely dependent on the LED you use. I don't know if it also depends on the model year. If you don't want the glow, add a resistor across the LED, 50 ohms or so.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Sidemarkers do not require resistors.

We have complete kits available for your car with the resistors so there are no bulb out warnings.

Jlevi SW V2 LED Turn Signal Bulbs for the Front, Rear and Back Up Lights

V2 Sidemarker Bulbs
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
saby_rod

Umnitza- Yes those are the Angels i want to get. The P46 with the black housing, xenon and the Orion V2 eyes. Just saving up for them right now. will order soon.

jlevi- so with those corner and side marker lights i do not have to get resistors with them? So all i have to do is literally buy them and screw them in, no resistors needed? If so i will put in my order on wednesday.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
^ When purchasing LED bulbs for your front and/or rear turn signals, you will need to have resistors inline to rid of the dashing warning light and hyper blinking so that everything may function just like OEM. Most customers who've purchased from us only need the High-Powered LED turn signal bulbs since they're replacing a previous LED set. If this is your first time at this, you will have to purchase the required resistors as well.
Mike@F1 Autohaüs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by saby_rod View Post
Umnitza- Yes those are the Angels i want to get. The P46 with the black housing, xenon and the Orion V2 eyes. Just saving up for them right now. will order soon.

jlevi- so with those corner and side marker lights i do not have to get resistors with them? So all i have to do is literally buy them and screw them in, no resistors needed? If so i will put in my order on wednesday.
That's correct, for the sidemarkers, you do not need resistors. You only need them for the front and rear turn signals.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
saby_rod

Thanks guys. I sent PMs to the people i am intrested in getting LEDs from. Umnitza expect to hear from me in the future for the Orion V2 Angel eyes.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
MitchSF

My Ride: 11 M3 DCT
True, you don't need resistors for the sides, but if you have an LED that glows when it's not blinking and you don't want that to happen, add a resistor.

It's much easier though to buy LEDs from a vendor who has tested them and guarantees that when they're not blinking, they're not glowing.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
saby_rod

I actually think it might look good if the side markers are dimly lit. Not to the extent where they are full blown on but if it glows i think it might give the car a little pop on the side. i dont know that is just my opinion. What does everyone else think. I am also debating going between xenon white or Amber.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
g4LLiT0

My Ride: 99 Bmw
Sorry to thread hijack, how do you wire the resistors for the corner leds??
Old 11-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
saby_rod

You slice one end to the resistor to one wire and the other end to the other wire. I hear it is suer simple. Just keed the resistor away from any plastic because it gets really hot and it will melt any plastic around it.

PM Mike and he will let you know a lot better than i can. But the moral of the story is its not that hard.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4LLiT0 View Post
Sorry to thread hijack, how do you wire the resistors for the corner leds??
PM sent
Mike@F1 Autohaüs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:34 AM   #14
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I've got LEDs in my side markers that come on when I close the hood, not for long but they do light up fully