E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
JayTee0115

My Ride: '01 325i
Fuel leak after fuel pump install. -Long Read-

So my '01 E46 wasn't starting and I realized it was my fuel pump gone bad. I DIY replaced my fuel pump and bam. It started. So I went to work, then after work I go to fill up my take which was at less than 1/4th a tank.

Around the 8 or 9 gallon mark of filling my tank, I hear dripping on the ground and smell fuek, then I noticed about maybe 1/8th a gallon spilling on the ground from under my car. It stopped when I stopped pumping so I'm thinking maybe I have a full tank. But full tanks usually leak out the nozzle inlet? I go to start my car and i only have 3/4 full.

Could I have damaged the tank when installing the new pump, or not put it in tight enough? I know I installed the rubber seal correctly and snapped it into place and the metal ring is securited pretty tight. The only thing I can think of is I had to cut the very end of the fuel line to get it off the pumps inlet. But I put TWO of the squeeze type easy clamps. I feel like I should replace with the screw type clamp and some electricians tape to seal before the clamp.

Any input?
JayTee0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
This is why I'm afraid of buying used cars. Put the proper type clamps on it and it will seal fine.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
I had the same problem. You didnt seat the gasket correctly.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
JayTee0115

So the gasket is the large rubber seal correct that comes out with the pump?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
There are plenty of DIY's on Fuel Pumps. The rubber ring is supposed to be fitted onto the tank before you finally install the pump from what i remember

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Replace the gasket?

No one mentions here if you replaced the fuel pump gasket when you replaced the fuel pump. Did you?
All DIY's I read before I did mine mandated replacement of the gasket which goes for about $6.
And no DIY's mentioned that with a new gasket made the re-installation of a fuel pump difficult. The new gasket had to be compressed with a lot of force down in order to get the retaining ring to where the screw threads engaged. It would have been nice to have the official BMW tool for this retaining ring, but certainly this is doable without it.

Also think about what you said, the tank leaked as you were filling it. At that point the pump was turned off, so no fuel would have come out of the outlet. It had to be the gasket you just redid.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
kjy2916

My Ride: 2002 BMW E46 325xi

Check, I did exactly same thing as this one, and everything is fine.

And, from my experience, when u put the sealing ring, u might bent or damaged the fuel guage floating arm.
kjy2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
2001bimmer330i

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Just a question about this since I will probably be doing this. Are there any safety measures needed since we are sitting on top of a tank of gas? Do you need to ground any tools, etc.? Just wondering about sparks during all the banging and maybe dropping something that sparks. Should the tank be empty? Thanks for any help.

Great video by the way.

Last edited by 2001bimmer330i; 02-22-2012 at 09:57 AM.
2001bimmer330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
JayTee0115

I didn't ground myself to anything. There were like no sparks when I was doing the process. So you should be fine. Just learn from my mistake and put the rubber O-ring back in securely or you'll get a gasoline smell and SES Light for your Fuel System.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Stinger9

PLAN AHEAD and wait till your tank is down below 1/4 tank full.

Don't do anything blatantly stupid. Common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001bimmer330i View Post
Just a question about this since I will probably be doing this. Are there any safety measures needed since we are sitting on top of a tank of gas? Do you need to ground any tools, etc.? Just wondering about sparks during all the banging and maybe dropping something that sparks. Should the tank be empty? Thanks for any help.

Great video by the way.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
dmarie

My Ride: 2001 325i
Leak from O-ring or Clamps?

Hello Jay-Tee,

Are you sure it was the o-ring and not the clamps? Or was it perhaps both? I am having the same problem. Please let me know. Thanks!
dmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie View Post
Hello Jay-Tee,

Are you sure it was the o-ring and not the clamps? Or was it perhaps both? I am having the same problem. Please let me know. Thanks!
Be more precise about your problem. What exactly are you asking?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
dmarie

I just purchased an '01 325i. Picked it up with 1/4 tank, and added $20 to get home. No real problems-- but in hindsight, there may have been a faint gas vapor odor noticeable at that time.

Next morning, I went to fill up at gas station. After 9 gallons, liquid gas started spilling fast from beneath the vehicle. Put it on the lift and leak was coming from somewhere at top of gas tank on rear passenger side and draining towards the outer edge of the car. Strong odor inside and outside of the vehicle.

Indy Mechanic on duty suggested that he will need to "drop the tank". But based on my research in this forum, it sounds like we need to pop out the back seat and check the seal and hose on top of the fuel pump.

Lady DIY mechanic wants to know-- What do you think?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Stinger9

Thanks for the detail.
Yes, you are on the exact correct path.
You need to remove the rear seat and then the fuel pump/sender unit cover with the four 10mm nuts as per following a youtube fuel pump replacement. Then you'll be able to see the top of the fuel pump with electrical plug and gas line connected. Very possibly someone installed the pump incorrectly as the install is not intuitive.
First you must put the rubber gasket in, fitting the rubber flange inside the top of the tank opening. Then the fuel pump assembly fits into the gasket opening.
Take a look and report back if you don't see the answer there.

If this isn't it, hope it's not the fill tube connection. Whoever sold this car to you knew the problem existed. This is fraud.

Dropping the tank indicates the mechanic is not familiar with the e46. We are.

Will look forward to your feedback!

Last edited by Stinger9; 05-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
dmarie

Thank you Stinger. I really appreciate your input. Promise to report back with results!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
E.Camerino

My Ride: 2001 325ci
So I'm doing this right now cause my car wouldn't start and now I'm trying to put the retaining ring and is there a trick to it it won't catch and I see that its pressed down to where it should catch.
E.Camerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
Stinger9

did you read my post here at #14 in all the detail regarding installing the fuel pump gasket???
If you do it the correct way it will work.

where exactly in SoCal are you?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
billj3cub

My Ride: '02 M3
Fuel pump seal; which side goes up?

I replaced my pump and the seal leaked when filling the tank. I took it back out and am trying to determine which side of the seal goes up. I think the face with the notch or score mark goes down against the tank because it fits perfectly against the tank opening when doing a trial fit of the seal without the pump. With the smooth, somewhat curvy side down against the tank in atrial fit it does not seam to center up very well at all.
I have looked everywhere and can find no information telling which way to put in the seal. I guess I'll have to just try it then report back.
billj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
Stinger9

If you follow the #14 instructions, you'll know when the gasket fits in correctly. The knotches line up and fit together.
Read #14
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
billj3cub

My Ride: '02 M3
I figured it out! All our leaking problems are solved!

I finally figured it out why we are installing pumps and having them leak and at the same time finding it very, very difficult (almost impossible) to screw down the locking ring:

The description was not quite clear enough. The sealing ring should be seated on the inside edge of the gas tank with the flat lip portion of the seal resting on top of the tank and the rest of the seal protruding inside the tank.

Once the seal is properly in place the pump assembly can be slid the last couple inches into position with the last half inch giving a satisfying "thump" as the pump squeezes into place in the seal and the pump flange hits the seal and gas tank. It is easy-peasy to screw down the locking ring with the seal properly in place whereas it was almost impossible to do so with the seal fully outside the tank and getting squished between the tank and the pump flange.
billj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote