E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #161
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Ill be doing a drift event may 16th and will let you know how it feels vs last event when i didn't have it installed. I also installed RTAB limiters, so ill do my best during judgment.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #162
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Everything has been extremely solid in the rear. Just overall rear chassis and suspension feels much more rigid. Plus my subframe (knock on wood) has held up great thus far through a lot of abuse.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #163
ericslife

My Ride: 1999 323i 4dr 5-spd.
I've just been giving this a quick read, so much info.. I was looking at the Mason unit also.. But found the 'foam' quite interesting for how easy it is to use, but i think i may have misunderstood it. Is it just the 'foam'?.

My car has no signs of mushrooming towers front or rear.. Sub frame looks good so far. Im the 3rd owner, first had it from '99 till 2007, ?? for 5 months then me last 4 years almost.. I drive pretty easy living in mortal fear, quite litterally!! .. But would like to do some Auto-x again in the future.
Just put Street edge coil's on and 17" m3 contours ( lighter than stock 5 spoke 16's!). so far a rear strut brace( got free) and soon a front, ill be ordering a mason one for that also . Ive put the big black front shock tower pie plate things in when the coil's went on.

Question's..

were certain cars more prone to failure: ie; fold down seats vs no fold down's. Factory sport susp package vs regular? early vs later prod? ( I have a '99 prod in 01 month CDN model, factory sport/susp-seats etc.)

But with several options to choose from Im now a bit confused what to choose. Ive not been a active BMWCCBC member as of late due to work.. So dont know what the locals have done for preventative stuff.. Doing the project my self would be ideal so like the Mason product but like the foam also if all you do is dril a small hole or two and fill the empty space....

Dont suppose there is a forum here just for subframe failure??

Thanks

Eric Densem

Last edited by ericslife; 08-02-2012 at 12:43 PM.
ericslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #164
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Guys with this, curious how are the Mason Bars and those area they're attached to holding up?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #165
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
Guys with this, curious how are the Mason Bars and those area they're attached to holding up?
My friend likes his. He went to Mason's house and mason personally installed it for him.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #166
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

(was talking about the front strut brace) whats this rear one???

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #167
XXRUSIANXX

My Ride: '04 330i
I have had mine for about a year and happy as can be with. Not the cheapest thing but damn good.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #168
subieworx

My Ride: ZHP, 335, E53, E30
Interesting utility patent infringement going on there...
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #169
yonmoor

My Ride: Handbasket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optio View Post
Many of these structural issues on the E46 are a result of abusive driving and or modifications that change the engineering intent. Also, the road surfaces in the USA are in poor condition. BMW does offer a rough road package to prevent the strut tower issue. I have 100,000 miles on my E46 and my rear sub frame and strut towers are perfect. I have three other buddies with E46's with mega miles (120,000, 165,000 and 272,000) and no issues with the rear sub frame.

I have seen too many people who attempt to engineer a solution without the formal training, fack it up to high heaven. Just because I can put a band-aid on a wound....does not make me a doctor.
Give up man you got sonned.
yonmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #170
wrecklessfool

My Ride: is paid off
UPDATE: I have had my rear subframe brace installed for nearly a year and a half now and about 9K miles. These were 9K hard, turbo'd, LSD doing doughnuts and just generally beating the piss out of the car miles. Everything seems to be holding up just fine. No cracks, no loosening.

Overall, I'm happy with the product for the money spent. The peace of mind and knowing I don't need to baby it is worth every penny to me.

The only downside I have experienced is that I have had to get creative with the fold down seats to carry large cargo that would have otherwise fit in the trunk. About 95% of what I need to fit back there still does, but that 5% can sometimes be a little annoying.

Would I do it again? Yes.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #171
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklessfool View Post
UPDATE: I have had my rear subframe brace installed for nearly a year and a half now and about 9K miles. These were 9K hard, turbo'd, LSD doing doughnuts and just generally beating the piss out of the car miles. Everything seems to be holding up just fine. No cracks, no loosening.

Overall, I'm happy with the product for the money spent. The peace of mind and knowing I don't need to baby it is worth every penny to me.

The only downside I have experienced is that I have had to get creative with the fold down seats to carry large cargo that would have otherwise fit in the trunk. About 95% of what I need to fit back there still does, but that 5% can sometimes be a little annoying.

Do you have TMS or equivalent reinforcement plates installed as well?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #172
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklessfool View Post

I wonder if this rear brace (if it's the one i'm thinking about) simply makes up for the loss of rigidity that was lost to begin with due to folding seats? Either way, bravo! good job at avoiding damage!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #173
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
Too much money imho. If I ever reinforce my rear end beyond the plates and solid bushings I already have. I'm going to just properly cage it. You could get your 4 subframe mounts caged/tied into the strut towers/chassis for that money.