E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
markusvt

My Ride: 330xi
Not gonna happen.
markusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #22
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
bad news I must say.
installed first Cardone reman axle, the boot was damaged during shipping, so I wouldnt say its Cardone's fault.
shop replaced second axle, now its making a grinding sound in the morning when its cold.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #23
markusvt

My Ride: 330xi
Sorry you have to do it again now, but many have had the same results a you with the same axle, they are terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
bad news I must say.
installed first Cardone reman axle, the boot was damaged during shipping, so I wouldnt say its Cardone's fault.
shop replaced second axle, now its making a grinding sound in the morning when its cold.
markusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
Sorry you have to do it again now, but many have had the same results a you with the same axle, they are terrible.
I had a shop do it and they have already replaced the axle second time due to the first one was leaking grease.
what axle should I go for if I want less trouble?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
I had a shop do it and they have already replaced the axle second time due to the first one was leaking grease.
Excluding Chinese axles, the only thing I can think of is the dealer. If you have the bux.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Talking

I WOULD NOT SPEND A LOT MONEY ON MY AXLE BUT THATS WHAT BASICALLY MAKES YOUR CAR MOVE...

DO NOT SPEND ON 1 CARDONE OR CARDONE AND NOT NOT CHINESE AXLES....

you might be going cheaper way., but in long run it will cause a lot vibration/hesitation on steering wheel... do to cheap axles...

personally! DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET STUFF 4 YOUR MAJOR PARTS ON BMW..

i bought me cheap axles, 2 year later. i have a lot vibration on steering wheel and i haven't even finish doing all the preventive maintenance on my beamer or interior/exterior stuff.... so basically my point is... does CHEAP/AFTERMARKET axle will catch up w you soon and u will have to spend another 200+ install ( labor) 200+ maybe more..... it adds up to new OEM AXLE! plus u wont get good handling on cheap axles..

i say this bec its my personal experience w cheap axle

i would not care if next 2 months i gotta buy my christmas gift of 2 oem axle 600$ 900$ ( bec u will get perfect steering handling )
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #27
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlatexxx View Post
I WOULD NOT SPEND A LOT MONEY ON MY AXLE BUT THATS WHAT BASICALLY MAKES YOUR CAR MOVE...

DO NOT SPEND ON 1 CARDONE OR CARDONE AND NOT NOT CHINESE AXLES....

you might be going cheaper way., but in long run it will cause a lot vibration/hesitation on steering wheel... do to cheap axles...

personally! DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET STUFF 4 YOUR MAJOR PARTS ON BMW..

i bought me cheap axles, 2 year later. i have a lot vibration on steering wheel and i haven't even finish doing all the preventive maintenance on my beamer or interior/exterior stuff.... so basically my point is... does CHEAP/AFTERMARKET axle will catch up w you soon and u will have to spend another 200+ install ( labor) 200+ maybe more..... it adds up to new OEM AXLE! plus u wont get good handling on cheap axles..

i say this bec its my personal experience w cheap axle

i would not care if next 2 months i gotta buy my christmas gift of 2 oem axle 600$ 900$ ( bec u will get perfect steering handling )
are you 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #28
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
are you 5?

nah.. Im more like 9...

once u go black u never go back ,,!,,
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
are you 5?
Yeah really. It made me tired...

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #30
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
OEM is not an option in canada -over $1000.
So, even if Cardone last 2 yrs, for the money it's worth it.
I have always just rebuilt my axles instead of replacing but may try a set of Cardone Reman. ones next time while I rebuild my originals.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #31
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
OEM is not an option in canada -over $1000.
So, even if Cardone last 2 yrs, for the money it's worth it.
I have always just rebuilt my axles instead of replacing but may try a set of Cardone Reman. ones next time while I rebuild my originals.
Where do you get the components for the rebuild?
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #32
SharkmanBMW

OEM Boot kit from the dealer (CV Boot Rebuild Kit) about $50
Grease, lots of it
But it must be worth rebuilding, if it's clicking a lot don't waste your time, and it is a very dirty job. One step away from an axle replacement, so IF you can - order a set in advance from the US so you don't get stuck having to pay big bucks when it breaks!

One thing I have learned about this car - check the CV Boots for tears as often as you can, catch it in time and no harm done - other than a huge mess to deal with!
And for those of who that never re-greased the inner CV joint, it's probably dry!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #33
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Oh. You made it sound like you wre actually rebuiding the axles when in fact you were just replacing the boots.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #34
SharkmanBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
Oh. You made it sound like you wre actually rebuiding the axles when in fact you were just replacing the boots.
lol, I wish I was that handy.
So far, there is nothing to rebuild because I catch them before the parts are damaged. What I meant was it is removed, properly cleaned and repacked with grease & new boots & clips...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #35
kylek325i

My Ride: 2003 325xi sport
OK I have a (possibly) obvious question: what grease do you use on the inner joints? they do not take the "CV joint grease" you can get anywhere that is moly based. Is there a good equivalent to the OEM/GKN tripod grease? or can you really get away with the moly stuff on the tripod joints??
kylek325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #36
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek325i View Post
OK I have a (possibly) obvious question: what grease do you use on the inner joints? they do not take the "CV joint grease" you can get anywhere that is moly based. Is there a good equivalent to the OEM/GKN tripod grease? or can you really get away with the moly stuff on the tripod joints??
As you have found out the grease is indeed different on the inners.

However, with that said, I was in a bind last year and had to use the regular stuff and still have not got around to putting the right stuff in there. I will say that I have not experienced any dry joint shudder on long trips that I thought i might. Am i doing damage to them? Maybe, but they havent asploded yet.... Ive got ~110K on the OE axles, 50k on the current OE boots, 15K on the wrong grease and truth be told I expect another boot to fail before the wrong grease has caused any significant damage to the joint.

But then again what do i know. I am using these on the large side of the inner boots:

Last edited by GCoop; 12-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #37
My white xi

My Ride: 2004 330xi
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=14&loc=show

This is what i have use and like you no problem at all .this work realy good..and did the same for the clip...
My white xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #38
kylek325i

My Ride: 2003 325xi sport
nice, thanks for the tip. And good call on the inner boot clamps, OEM=fail.
kylek325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #39
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek325i View Post
nice, thanks for the tip. And good call on the inner boot clamps, OEM=fail.
I agree. All of the OE clamps that have been on there have eventually slacked off and started to allow grease to escape. Been running those hose clamps for over a year now with no issues whatsoever.

I was worried that they might cause some vibrations by throwing the rotating mass off balance but I guess the additional weight is insignificant compared to the whole.

I will say that depending on the size of the hose clamp being used or if the plastic underbody shield is warped/bent/askew there is a chance that the clamp can come into contact with it.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #40
jasonbimmer

Quote:
bad news I must say.
Quote:
ok a little update. the axle was fine, the seal was replaced not leaking anymore.
the noise was due to front axle low on fluid as my other thread stated.
Cardone is a pretty good replacement.