E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
6th Element

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
E46 Exhaust Question

So I've been itching to delete my front muffler/resonator (as some people might refer to as) along with the middle resonator on my 330. I already have a rear muffler delete but, I want it to be louder without having to mess with headers and cats because of CA emissions being a pain in the ass. I was originally thinking of getting Ebay headers but, that's out of the equation now.
So basically looking to do straight pipes after cats all the way to the tips.

I've looked around for videos but haven't come up with much. The ones I did find, don't know if they're a 330 or if they even have both "resonators" deleted.
Just states "E46 muffler and resonator delete" for example.

Does anyone know what this will sound like? Will deleting them both make much of a noticeable difference?

Any input or videos will be greatly appreciated.

-Feel free to criticize. Some people on this board like doing that anyways, instead of answering questions

"Never Mind What Haters Say, Ignore 'Em Till They Fade Away"
6th Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
There is really no way of anyone accurately describing what it would sound like to your ears. Without actually hearing it in person it's just not possible. I will say that in my personal opinion even deleting the muffler sounds awful so I can't imagine how it would sound with straight pipes after the cats. You are trying to make your car sound like something it's not and in the process you're just making it sound as though your exhaust is rusted and broken. If you're after a performance sound then why not do it the right way and find a cat back system that suits your needs. This will also help the performance of the car instead of hurting the performance by hacking up the stock system. Just some food for thought.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
you must be a teenager, this topic has been covered many times!

not srs LOL

go to the exhaust shop and remove the second resnator (clostest to your muffler) then go for a test drive, it should be tad louder. if its not loud enough then remove the other resnator. then test drive, it should have a more growl, throaty sound without being too loud. keep in mind it'll drone and rasp like crazy. to remove the rasp a AR-120 high flow resnator can be put on to elimenate the rasp

Build in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamada12 View Post
You could put in a cold air intake that would probably give u 5-15 go increase and if u put a cat back exhaust u could get 40+ hp (pretty sure it more but) together plus high octane gas maybe u could get like 50+ hp
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
I would caution you, most have found that removing either of the resonators resulted in Undesirable sound. So if you proceed, just do One at a time to see if it works for you.

Good luck,
Rob43

Nitrous !

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
6th Element

Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as why I'm not "doing it right" and getting a performance cat back exhaust, is because I'm saving up for a decent set of coilovers. I'm a college kid. So you can imagine that I don't have $1,500-$2,000 laying around to spend on a performance exhaust AND coilovers. So I have to do it one at a time and I've decided on coilovers to be first since I plan on tracking my car soon.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
That'll be stupid loud. I couldn't stand a muffler delete alone in these cars.

If you're enjoying the muffler delete and don't want to cry from the drone, I guess do what you want and go ahead and straight pipe it all the way through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
dakkon

My Ride: e46 330ci/e30 318is
Get the bimmerworld. Its what I ended up with. Best bang for the buck.
http://store.bimmerworld.com/mobile/...ion-p2146.aspx

You'll need to have a y pipe fabricated, or wait for bimmerworld to release one for the OEM headers. Sounds good, and you'll save about 50lbs....
dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
6th Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater330i View Post
That'll be stupid loud. I couldn't stand a muffler delete alone in these cars.

If you're enjoying the muffler delete and don't want to cry from the drone, I guess do what you want and go ahead and straight pipe it all the way through.
You find muffler delete alone to be too loud? Hmm interesting. Respect your opinion though

Straight piping is always reversible, if cut right. So I can always go back if it's too loud or has too much drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkon View Post
Get the bimmerworld. Its what I ended up with. Best bang for the buck.
http://store.bimmerworld.com/mobile/...ion-p2146.aspx

You'll need to have a y pipe fabricated, or wait for bimmerworld to release one for the OEM headers. Sounds good, and you'll save about 50lbs....
Thanks for the link sir will keep this in mind for the future.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
I'd guess that running purely straight pipes would sound similar to running with the exhaust unbolted after the cats. I did that once because I just wanted to hear what it would sound like. Yeah... Not good. It's loud alright, but the quality of sound is pretty awful.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
If you want to know what it will sound like, just find your nearest riced out tuner car and stand behind it. The rasp is just about unbearable. I swapped the muffler with a y pipe to 3" single tip, headers, WITH both resonators and it sounds perfect. Deleting the resonators is awful

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
6th Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
I'd guess that running purely straight pipes would sound similar to running with the exhaust unbolted after the cats. I did that once because I just wanted to hear what it would sound like. Yeah... Not good. It's loud alright, but the quality of sound is pretty awful.
Do you know if it has a noticeable difference from just a muffler delete alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
If you want to know what it will sound like, just find your nearest riced out tuner car and stand behind it. The rasp is just about unbearable. I swapped the muffler with a y pipe to 3" single tip, headers, WITH both resonators and it sounds perfect. Deleting the resonators is awful
If the rasp is as bad as you say it is, I can always get rid of the pipes and throw the resonators back on.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Swater330i

E46 Exhaust Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th Element View Post
You find muffler delete alone to be too loud? Hmm interesting. Respect your opinion though.

I've had a muffler delete for about 6 months. I recently started to commute downtown and pulling away from a stoplight in traffic is plain embarrassing. I love the burbles when you let off the gas and at the limit it sounds great, but it does drown out the engine sound.

My car has fold down seats so I probably experience more cabin noise and drone than other cars without that feature.

I just went ahead and bought the ZHP muffler to replace the muffler delete.

Good job keeping the thread respectful
Quote:

Last edited by Swater330i; 07-30-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
6th Element

Quote:
I've had a muffler delete for about 6 months. I recently started to commute downtown and pulling away from a stoplight in traffic is plain embarrassing. I love the burbles when you let off the gas and at the limit it sounds great, but it does drown out the engine sound.

My car has fold down seats so I probably experience more cabin noise and drone than other cars without that feature.

Good job keeping the thread respectful
I actually haven't had any drone at all surprisingly. The burbles, however, are a whole different story

Thanks man. I try to. No need for unwanted and unnecessary drama

Old 07-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Swater330i

Quote:
I actually haven't had any drone at all surprisingly. The burbles, however, are a whole different story

Thanks man. I try to. No need for unwanted and unnecessary drama

Do you have folding seats? Manual tranny?
Quote:
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
6th Element

Quote:
Do you have folding seats? Manual tranny?
I do have folding seats but no manual tranny unfortunately

Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Do you know if it has a noticeable difference from just a muffler delete alone?
Based on videos I've heard of muffler deletes and comparing it to the no-exhaust sound on video it's a pretty significant difference. I haven't heard a muffler-delete e46 in person, but I can tell you with a fully open exhaust in person it doesn't sound good... With the exhaust fully open it had a ragged sound like you'd expect from a demolition derby car or a junker with a massive exhaust leak. The resonators that are left in place with just deleting the rear muffler tune the sound some as well as silencing it.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
6th Element

Quote:
Based on videos I've heard of muffler deletes and comparing it to the no-exhaust sound on video it's a pretty significant difference. I haven't heard a muffler-delete e46 in person, but I can tell you with a fully open exhaust in person it doesn't sound good... With the exhaust fully open it had a ragged sound like you'd expect from a demolition derby car or a junker with a massive exhaust leak. The resonators that are left in place with just deleting the rear muffler tune the sound some as well as silencing it.
I think I'll just do what you did. Unbolt the flanges up front, right after the cats, and see what it sounds like in person before actually hacking off the resonators.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
dakkon

My Ride: e46 330ci/e30 318is
Quote:
The Bimmerworld exhaust doesn't sound that bad, and came with a full straight pipe option, as well as a resonator option. But, keep in mind this is a spec racing exhaust. Its not a Corsica that is made for sound over weight savings and hp...
dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote