E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
redman4ever

My Ride: e46 sedan
A/C Woes

Hey guys, have an issue I'm hoping you can help me nail down. First off, I live in Mississippi and it just gets plain hot. I've been having some trouble with my air conditioner.

I have a 2003 e46 and the air works great, in that it is cold. The problem then is that it simply does not blow well. It use to be more intermittent were it would blow full blast then decrease, although still reading on high with the control unit. Now, unfortunately, when the fan setting is on high it will blow cold air but simply not enough.

If anyone has any information as to the specific nature, I would appreciate it. I don't know if its the blower, the control unit, or another part that is simply unknown to me.

Any feedback would be awesome, thanks!
redman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
tottle2

My Ride: BMW 330i M Sport
This sounds like the FSR (final stage resistor). There are tonnes of threads and DIY's on how to diagnose and replace. Hope that helps!
tottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
redman4ever

Awesome thanks, I started reading about the FSR and wondered if this was a possibility but didn't see anything with my cars exact symptoms.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
BaliDawg

My Ride: 325Ci 530i 750iL
If your fan speed is incorrect, especially if it has been intermittant, good chance it is the FSR. Make sure you pick a good DIY on here that explains how to test if the FSR is bad or not. No sense replacing parts that aint broke.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
SDpnoy

My Ride: 330Ci and M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottle2 View Post
This sounds like the FSR (final stage resistor). There are tonnes of threads and DIY's on how to diagnose and replace. Hope that helps!
+1

My AC was doing the same just like yours. Replace the FSR and all is fixed =)
SDpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
redman4ever

Thanks guys! I went ahead and ordered the part. I'll update once I install.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
+1 FSR, and if it isn't now, it will be, if it hasn't been replaced since new, they changed the design, so don't be shocked when your new one looks different than your old one.
It is a pain in the arse to get to, so look up a couple of DIYs on here and youtube. I used the Bentley Manual, but there has to be an easier way.

Here's the video link from SolidJake, search him on forum to find a DIY with pictures, that he posted in.
It's not hard to change if you have small hands and don't mind lying on your back with your feet on the headrest and a flashlight in you mouth! LOL

Last edited by DEADF15H; 09-25-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Found Video
DEADF15H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
I have the exact problem. I have a FSR and blower motor on order, set to arrive on the 29th so when I get them installed I will let you know of the results, OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater330i View Post
I have the exact problem. I have a FSR and blower motor on order, set to arrive on the 29th so when I get them installed I will let you know of the results, OP.
99% sure you'll have no problems after replacing both of those.
Replaced my FSR more than a year ago. Now my blower has started to sing. Looked the part up to order last night, but it's must have strained a vocal cord as it was silent today.

Sent with BimmerApp using a Note 2, probably from the driver's seat of a BMW

Last edited by DEADF15H; 10-10-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: In addition: Old design FSRs are known to start electrical cars under the glove box.
DEADF15H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
hm.... i'm a little skeptical but let's see. if it doesn't work, perhaps you should go check on that aux fan of yours, and make sure its working when the a/c is engaged.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
99% sure you'll have no problems after replacing both of those.
Replaced my FSR more than a year ago. Now my blower has started to sing. Looked the part up to order last night, but it's must have strained a vocal cord as it was silent today.

Sent with BimmerApp using a Note 2, probably from the driver's seat of a BMW

Last December the blower motor sounded like a French horn on all speeds until it spun for a while. It was actually kind of amusing
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote