E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
cranking, no start--solved--fuse #3 intake cam sensor wire

Cribs--cam position sensor wire was kinked and blowing secret fuse #3 in the fuse pack in e-box. Took a while to figure out as it wasn't throwing a code.

HTH someone someday.

Magic fuse #3--powers 9 different things!

For the record:

Cranking no starting...turned out to be intake cam sensor...in an odd way.

3 miles after filling up I stopped. 10 mins. later wouldn't start. It cranked great.

After checking fuses and fuel pump relay, I gave up and towed it to the shop.

They started checking the basics. I wasn't getting power to the fuel pump, but they could jump it and it started.

They tested the relay; it was fine too, even though I swapped fuel with horn relay, you never know.

At first, they were thinking crank position sensor, and in testing it, the signal from it wasn't right.

Last night I read a post from Cyberkaa and brought the info about secret fuse #3 in the fuse pack this a.m.

It was blown. Replaced it, it blew right away. So, they replaced that fuse with a resettable 20 amp fuse so we could test easily.

I started unplugging all the relays and sensors on that fuse; Enoc and Sal said they thought a power to ground or kinked/damaged wire issue. That sensors and relays wouldn't draw enough to blow a 20 amp fuse. Every relay/sensor I disconnected--every one blew. Fuel pump, AC compressor I couldn't find anywhere, Fuel tank leak detection, therm, crank position sensor. Then finally, the intake cam position sensor. Fuse didn't blow!

Turns out that the wire from the sensor was kinked.

There was a moment where I was this close to crying when Enoc said to look at every wire coming from that fuse. I'm thinking miles of wire that anywhere could have rubbed open and be touching metal.

6 hours today and probably the same yesterday...taking things apart, etc.

I award 40% credit to Kalim; 40% to IMG; and I take 20% for finding Kalim's thread and ripping everything in the car apart to get to things to test.

No cam position sensor code came up at all...every other code came up though. Interesting...next time I'll remember that a lack of a code from something that should register, points to an issue.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 09-19-2011 at 07:59 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Here ya go D: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...02&hg=61&fg=25 Additionally here's the part# BMW 12 63 1 735 424 / 12631735424 Fuel Pump Relay
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Last edited by Zchild; 09-16-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
dmax

Thanks, Z.

I'm pretty sure mine are behind the fuse panel in the glovebox and I can't get that out to access it.

There are two tabs underneath, but I've been trying to wiggle and giggle it to get it out to access relays...not working.

Any tips?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
dmax

I got the left side of panel off, but can't get the right one off.

Really annoying. Any help?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
bmwguyNC

My Ride: 02 325i orient blue
Send a message via AIM to bmwguyNC
Sorry you are broke down! But you have never posted on this before. I am sure others have had help and u can post here asking for help but did not think to search the forum evidently you have some form of smart phone!. What gives! If you can post you can search!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...relay+location

post #4

Last edited by bmwguyNC; 09-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.
bmwguyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguyNC View Post
Sorry you are broke down! But you have never posted on this before. I am sure others have had help and u can post here asking for help but did not think to search the forum evidently you have some form of smart phone!. What gives! If you can post you can search!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...relay+location

post #4
No I searched; no smart phone, just a PC at places I was at. I'd borrow online time, go out and play with car some more. Also, oddly, at all other keyboards, I don't seem to think so well!

Anyway, I got to the relays finally--relay is fine, fuse is fine, we can get pump going by powering it directly. Something is stopping power getting to the relay--exploring that now. I'm at my shop, so will get codes soon to see whether something like cam sensor is cutting off power to the relay.

Any random guesses on what might cause fuel pump relay not to get power?

Last edited by dmax; 09-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
dmax

Guys, thanks to those who responded earlier today.

I finally got the the relays...the fuse panel wasn't coming out on one side, so got the tip from a SA at JMK to just remove glovebox...easy to get to relays at that point! Relay swap didn't work.

Towed to shop where we learned fuse good, relay good, pump spins when power is supplied directly.

I just read a great post by the great Cyberkaa...in the hundreds of posts I'd read, his was the one that covered more than just fuse and relay.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...osition+sensor

His post lead me to think about the fuse in the e-box, because I was getting codes for weird things--AC compressor relay, crank position sensor, fuel pump relay, Leakage diagnosis pump, SAP relay, and therm--not all the things covered by that fuse, but enough to make me wonder about that one #3 fuse.

My mechanic saw that the crankshaft position sensor wasn't working properly...that might be because of the fuse, might be its failure caused the fuse to blow. Maybe the fuel pump spins, but is still bad and blowing the fuse?

The search will continue tomorrow...wanted to document this while it's fresh in case it helps someone someday.

In the meanwhile, one other odd thing...we found a little bit of oil underneath one of the multipin plugs in the e-box. My mechanic has seen oil travel within a wire from a sensor--an oil pressure sensor he thinks. Odd; I've never heard of that before, but since this sensor is the only one that takes oil into it, it's pushing oil up the wire...it's only underneath that plug in the e-box; no where else.

I'll update when I'm running again. I thought my car was magical...turns out it's just a BMW. Damn!

Last edited by dmax; 09-19-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: n
Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
dmax

intake cam sensor wire fuse #3

updated in first post.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
interesting
Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
J252

My Ride: 99 328i
Thanks!

Quote:
HTH someone someday
Yup, me today! Thank you so much for this thread...

I have been fighting an aggravating intermittent short that would blow that 20A fuse. The worst part is that whenever I got it towed home and went to work on it, the fuse wouldn't blow, so I could never get it traced.

The car did not throw a code.

After reading this, I figure why not try the long shot and remove the sensor. Turns out there was a location about 5" down from the wire where it got pinched between some hard pipes below the intake (coolant/heater?). With the sensor out of the car and my trusty DMM, i could pinpoint the the spot where if I bent the wire I would get a short. Sure enough, when I cut open the sheath the red and black wires have frayed insulation, and bare wires.

Since it was red and black (+12V and ground) that shorted together, the 20A fuse would blow and the car would die before it got a chance to throw a code. Had I been luckier and it was green (signal) that shorted with either red or black, I would have got a handy code which would have made my quest a lot easier.

Anyhow, I didn't have a spare sensor on hand, so I cut and repaired the sensor wire. So far so good.....

Last edited by J252; 06-04-2012 at 01:46 AM.
J252 is offline   Reply With Quote