E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #181
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post

you really think that i wont be able to tell a difference when switching brake and clutch lines to SS? wont it make it a stiffer feel without that spongy feeling thus making it a better feel of the pedal?
I can guarantee you wont feel the difference on the street and might not even do when you track it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
Not sure if blocked out was kidding. But i definitely felt the difference between the rubber and braided clutch line. Clutch pedal is nice, you can feel the clutch more. Original clutch feels all squishy.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer
Most likely you felt a difference because you flushed your old brake fluid and put new fluid in as well as bled the system. If you did other things like, new rotors or pads, it also helped improving pedal feel.

Stock lines are way more robust then you guys think they are, sure they get old/cracked/hardened over time but they are better then most think they are.
I'll try to dig out a number of PSI they hold before rupture, cant find it right now.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #182
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
I also added stainless brake lines. See if you can find out both numbers.

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #183
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Quote:
I also added stainless brake lines. See if you can find out both numbers.

what brake lines did you put in? UUC?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #184
BDUB328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
I can guarantee you wont feel the difference on the street and might not even do when you track it.

Most likely you felt a difference because you flushed your old brake fluid and put new fluid in as well as bled the system. If you did other things like, new rotors or pads, it also helped improving pedal feel.

Stock lines are way more robust then you guys think they are, sure they get old/cracked/hardened over time but they are better then most think they are.
I'll try to dig out a number of PSI they hold before rupture, cant find it right now.
i believe you that they are strong, but they may be able to hold alot of PSI before bursting, however they will be twice the size they originally were before they burst. im looking for something that stays the same size so good pedal feel. not something that balloons when i step on the brakes.

also im not doing this as a cheep alternative, i actually am doing the exzact opposite, i plan on spending more on SS lines than the stock ones would cost to replace, i just want someone to tell me what brands to look at so i dont buy one i think looks good and then find out in a year that its the worst brand out there.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #185
darksideracer69

Quote:
i believe you that they are strong, but they may be able to hold alot of PSI before bursting, however they will be twice the size they originally were before they burst. im looking for something that stays the same size so good pedal feel. not something that balloons when i step on the brakes.

also im not doing this as a cheep alternative, i actually am doing the exzact opposite, i plan on spending more on SS lines than the stock ones would cost to replace, i just want someone to tell me what brands to look at so i dont buy one i think looks good and then find out in a year that its the worst brand out there.
If you plan on spending money, then I doubt they will be trash.

IMAG02051
Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #186
BDUB328I

Quote:
If you plan on spending money, then I doubt they will be trash.

yes, money is not the issue when it comes to safety, im looking for something that will perform perfectly after years of abuse. i just thought of the 10k people who looked at this thread that some people would have more imput on this subject or at least post me up a link to another thread discussing it....

one tiny step of progress i got to look at some TIS stuff today and the program is
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #187
BDUB328I

ordered the HPF subframe re enforcement kit today. i was planning on barrowing a welder but i think i might just buy one.... good investment?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #188
Blocked Out

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with SS lines , I just dont see the point on a street car. But on the other hand it may be a good idea to get SS lines since you're replacing yours anyway (12 year old stock lines arent that great by now). But I track my car as well as autocross and I never thought of putting SS lines, my brake feel was always great and I didnt even think of improving it as I dont think Im at the limit of them just yet.

Anyway, look into StopTech, they make great products and their ss lines are of the same quality.

IMG_1725
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #189
Blocked Out

Quote:
ordered the HPF subframe re enforcement kit today. i was planning on barrowing a welder but i think i might just buy one.... good investment?
How good of a welder are you? If youre not a good welder I would recommend asking someone with more experience as the actual weld is whats important.
A good welding machine is about 600 bucks, do you want to spend that much ?

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

IMG_1725
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #190
darksideracer69

a welder is a great investment

IMAG02051
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #191
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
so any progress? Not looking to read through what looks like 10 pages of questions on "how to" do an s54 swap
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #192
BDUB328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post
so any progress? Not looking to read through what looks like 10 pages of questions on "how to" do an s54 swap
im just waiting on parts at the moment, i should be gettting about 2k worth of parts in the next week or two and thats when all the real work will begin..

im going to start by doing the vanos repair and getting everything preped on my engine, i have to do some other misc. things like re solder a couple wires that were damaged also.

The one thing that is up in the air right now is i might bail on painting the engine bay, i really wanted to do this but its getting cold up here fast, and i dont want to have to worrie about the air temp ruining my paint

Im also still trying to figure out the wiring issues, im not sure how to wire up the pedal system, and i noticed in Mite46's swap that he also had to wire a fuel relay? im not sure if this is because he was SMG or if i will have to do it also..... any help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated

i also have some more sponsers to add, im just waiting on the final word

Last edited by BDUB328I; 11-04-2011 at 07:15 AM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #193
BDUB328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
How good of a welder are you? If youre not a good welder I would recommend asking someone with more experience as the actual weld is whats important.
A good welding machine is about 600 bucks, do you want to spend that much ?

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App
im not a good welder ive done it like twice, but i know the proper teqnique and feel like i could throw down a good beed if i stayed focused. i have plenty of friends who are expert welders, so ill most likely have one of them do it to be safe

i also have some more sponsers to add to my list, im just waiting on the final word.

Last edited by BDUB328I; 11-04-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #194
kermitthefloer

My Ride: 04 330ci/ 99 S70
yeah go with stoptech for all breaking needs, if I was to go away from OEM and didnt get a BBK I would go with StopTech.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #195
Little Dragon

My Ride: E46s
Not sure if it's been asked already (I might have missed it), but how much do you think all of this will cost you once everything is done?
Thinking once my engine dies (if it dies) I might as well do a swap.
Little Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #196
BDUB328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
Not sure if it's been asked already (I might have missed it), but how much do you think all of this will cost you once everything is done?
Thinking once my engine dies (if it dies) I might as well do a swap.
i didnt buy my wrecked m3 donor car.... i traded my 05 gsxr 750 for it (paid $3000 for the 05 gsxr 600, then swaped to 750 motor for more fun)..and since then i spend about $3k.. in misc. parts and add ons. i also bought all new bushings for everything you could imagine.

so total im guessing is around 6k right now (goodluck trying to do it for this price, my prices are tough to beat)

im thinking ill spend another 2k before everything is finished, so total around $8000 im guessing about 3k of that is upgrades and other non required stuff like paint, and new bushings all around, specialty tools, custom interior and other mods.

Last edited by BDUB328I; 11-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #197
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Sounds good bro! Any plans on adding wider rear fenders and front m3 fenders?
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #198
BDUB328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Sounds good bro! Any plans on adding wider rear fenders and front m3 fenders?
planning on doing a fully custom metal WB when everything else is finished up (other than paint).....

if i can get a wheel sponser that would help persuade me to do that sooner, but i dont have the cash for 12 inch wide wheels at the moment (plan on doing 12 in the rears and maybe 10's up front)
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #199
BDUB328I

im starting to go crazy trying to find some good info on everything that must be done with the wiring, if anyone could give me some help it would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #200
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Good luck finding someone to help you with the wiring info.

How many hours have you already put in and how many do you estimate it will take to complete? While you may be doing this for less than 8,000 don't forget your opportunity cost...