E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #621
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Look inside the hood pin catches and make sure you see them actuating when the cable is pulled. You'll have to have a friend or camera for this since it's too far to see them while pulling the handle.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #622
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Look inside the hood pin catches and make sure you see them actuating when the cable is pulled. You'll have to have a friend or camera for this since it's too far to see them while pulling the handle.
thanks!! I think I got it fixed, I'm not 100% sure what the problem was but I basically I pulled the cable out of the latch then put it back in and now everything is
Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #623
BDUB328I

yesterday I got to my garage early to finish up some things before my friend came over with his laptop/coding software....

started by putting this unicorn (impossible to find used) of a switch block into the trip piece, its held by two screws from the back...
 photo IMAG0555_zps8aaf9685.jpg
this trim piece took me about 1 hour to install (it was brutal), the wiring loom that runs behind the sunglass holder needs to be perfectly tucked away. after pealing 1 inch of tape off at a time I managed to get the loom tucked out of the way enough for me to screw the front ash tray, sunglass holder ext. into place.

My friend arrived early so I quickly put my drivers seat into the car so he had somewhere to sit while doing coding (I didn't know his cord would reach rear seats). After that it was time to put the battery in the car for the first time in over 2 years and turn the key (only to position 2, I did not try to start it). Before I turned the key I pulled fuse 54 so the fuel pump wouldn't be pumping dry (I have no fuel in the tank ATM) when I turned the key to p2 this is what I saw

photo IMAG0556_zps1603c04a.jpg

it may look ugly and horrible to many people but for me this was very exciting. The simple fact that the tachometer lights from 4-9k was illuminated made me happy (at least I did that wiring correctly). In addition the car does actually have 40k miles as the PO told me (I had to take his word for it because everything was in pieces when I got it.), also ambient temp seems to be working it read 33 and that was accurate.

After that we had a minor setback, my friend who was going to help me with the coding did not have the NCS files for e46 only e9x. so when we plugged it into his NCS it would just say "chassis Faulty". I have another friend with NCS for the e46 so I'll be asking him for a help soon (hopefully next weekend he can help, I know he is busy with work).

Last edited by BDUB328I; 01-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #624
BDUB328I

after hitting a snag with the coding it was time to concentrate my time doing something else. I have found this is very important with a project like this, I regularly hit snags, I could get stuck on it and waste my entire day, but I usually try to walk away and work on something else I know I can get done. Yesterday was no different, after getting stuck on the coding I moved back to the radiator where I had to replace the passenger side foam gasket. I got frustrated after tearing up my knuckles on the radiator so I decided I was taking the front bumper/support ext. back off. 5 min later it was off (should have done this from the beginning instead of trying to fit the foam piece in).

After I got the front off I had to figure out how to get the broken foam piece out from behind the plastic on the radiator, I figured out that only these two screws (located on passenger side of rad) hold the plastic around the gasket.
 photo IMAG0558_zpsabc11d50.jpg

After I got the screws out there was plenty of room to get the gasket into place, but first I cleaned some of the debris that was trapped by the old (broken) gasket. In this pic. you can see how much room I had to work after removing the two screws in previous pic.
 photo IMAG0557_zps5a568dff.jpg

then I put the gasket in and fastened the two screws from above.
 photo IMAG0559_zps4588a48a.jpg

just a side view showing how the gasket should fit, you need to remove the two bolts or you will never get the gasket in place, the area between the rad and the plastic is way to tight of a squeeze.
 photo IMAG0560_zpsca6e256e.jpg

After that I put the front back on (took another 5 minutes...starting to get good at this)

Last edited by BDUB328I; 01-11-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #625
BDUB328I

I need some advise from you guys... I installed the ECU/EWS and ignition/steering column from my donor (salvaged m3), I only have one key from this m3. I have multiple keys for my 328i, what is the best solution for me? I would prefer to have my m3 key open the doors and start the car, but if something happens to the m3 key I'm in major trouble because its the only key I have that matches the m3 ECU/ews... I also hear bmw wont sell you a key for a car is salvaged... (I'm not actually 100% sure if my donor was every deemed "salvaged" or not.)

What are my options?

Last edited by BDUB328I; 01-11-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #626
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
I need some advise from you guys... I installed the ECU/EWS and ignition/steering column from my donor (salvaged m3), I only have one key from this m3. I have multiple keys for my 328i, what is the best solution for me? I would prefer to have my m3 key open the doors and start the car, but if something happens to the m3 key I'm in major trouble because its the only key I have that matches the m3 ECU/ews... I also hear bmw wont sell you a key for a car is salvaged... (I'm not actually 100% sure if my donor was every deemed "salvaged" or not.)

What are my options?
Looks like things are coming along VERYYYY nicely...PM me I'll try to get you a key =)
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #627
e34m5freak199

My Ride: E34 M5, E46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITE46 View Post
Looks like things are coming along VERYYYY nicely...PM me I'll try to get you a key =)
Mite, any chance of putting your site back up? i can donate some hosting.
e34m5freak199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #628
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
yep check my sig
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #629
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:

What are my options?
I would virginize the DME and mate it to your original EWS. That lets you keep your original keys.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #630
BDUB328I

Quote:
I would virginize the DME and mate it to your original EWS. That lets you keep your original keys.
But my original keys are not the cool diamond ones...

Haha maybe your idea is the best idea that way my door locks, trunk, glovebox ext all work...

Thanks for everyone's feedback
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #631
BDUB328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITE46 View Post
Awesome ill b in touch

Thanks again for everything you have done
Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #632
BDUB328I

Quote:
I think i'm going to go this route because it seems it will be the only way I can keep all my locks functional?

Do you (or anyone) have any info on how to "virginize" the DME? or at least what program I should be using (I have basically all the e46 coding software now)

thanks again for you help Kalim

I will be doing the coding Monday evening with the help of another friend who has more knowledge than me on it.

Last edited by BDUB328I; 01-18-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #633
cyberkaa

Quote:
I think i'm going to go this route because it seems it will be the only way I can keep all my locks functional?

Do you (or anyone) have any info on how to "virginize" the DME? or at least what program I should be using (I have basically all the e46 coding software now)

thanks again for you help Kalim

I will be doing the coding Monday evening with the help of another friend who has more knowledge than me on it.
PM sent.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #634
BDUB328I

Quote:
PM sent.
thanks for pointing me in the right direction!....I'll be a coding pro in the next year or two (its A LOT to learn)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #635
BDUB328I

early this week I got permission from my sponsor, Good 'N Plenty Restaurant to move my car into "the car barn" for anyone who has followed this thread or has seen any previous pics you know my car was (until now) in an old barn that had no heat/AC and as of recently has no electric. Another problem with this old barn was that it was very small working space. This was only a small part of the reason I wanted to move everything (the major reason was to be in a more safe/secure location)

anyway this was the first time it has been in sunlight in over 2 years and the first I got to see what it looks like with all OEM m3 suspension.
 photo IMAG0575_zps91d211a2.jpg

photo IMAG0577_zps347238f8.jpg

the barn also had a couple small leeks (this probably destroyed my paint in a few spots, I will wash it and try to buff it a bit when its closer to completion)

photo IMAG0576_zpsac2b5097.jpg

and here she sits in her new home, and i can open the doors the entire way!!! this barn is climate controlled, security coded, drain in floor (so you can wash your car in warmth while its snowing outside) bathroom sink ext. the only thing it doesn't have is a lift and a paint booth....you guys remember the scrambler we put a tranny in a year or so back? yea well its my cars roommate now

photo IMAG0578_zpsce3f8e09.jpg

photo IMAG0579_zpsabe5d156.jpg

sorry for terribly blurry pic. I took this just to get an idea of the upgraded in room available for me to work.

photo IMAG0581_zps098baee4.jpg

Last edited by BDUB328I; 01-23-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #636
BDUB328I

ok yesterday after a bit of effort we got my DME to communicate with a laptop....barely I have a feeling this is going to be another long slow learning process for me...

we tried connecting to INPA but almost immediately we get an error that it wasn't communicating with the EWS and it would stop.

So we gave up on that and tried CARSOFT

and we had our only tiny bit of success talking to a module...
 photo IMAG0583_zpsff434151.jpg

below is just another terrible pic, same as above

photo IMAG0584_zpsddcc53e3.jpg

after a tiny bit of success I was feeling better until we tried to communicate with all the other modules and got this. (again sorry for blurry pics, I was in a rush and didn't realize they were this bad)

photo IMAG0585_zps0f75edd6.jpg

basically on the left of this blury pic its listing the different modules and on the right its saying the status of them (they all have the same status with exception to the DME) "Module does not respond"

so this is where we left off. I'm more lost and worried than ever about this project... especially after I read post #223 on this thread yesterday.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...977520&page=12

I pray that he is wrong (but I know Terraphantm knows what he is talking about) Hopefully we can figure out a way to run mk60 (because I spent many hours adding all the DSC/Mk60 stuff into my car)

Last edited by BDUB328I; 01-23-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #637
BDUB328I

as usual any comments, advice criticism is all welcome
Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #638
BDUB328I

If anyone is interested in learning to code stay tuned, I'll b posting the most useful links I have found. Let's start off with the basics found here..

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ith-NCS-Expert
Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #639
BDUB328I

It is possible to code mk60!!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895699
Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #640
bernie21614

My Ride: 01 330i
Dam dude your In for a hell of a time. I hope everything works out for you
bernie21614 is offline   Reply With Quote