E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
luke1213

My Ride: 2002 325xi 4 door
interior/exterior pieces junk?

i know this is my first bmw but does everyones bmw have junky interior/exterior trim pieces? i have replaced the windshield cowl because it was breaking apart, replaced half of the front grille, need to replace a trim piece for the driver side windows, need to replace the weather stripping on a portion of the driver side window, the center a/c vent is breaking apart, the 2.5" door speaker grilles have broke and now the speakers are laying down inside the door panel, the hazard light/door lock button has sunk down into the armrest, the trays in the trunk are broken along with the marker lights for the license plate and few other odds and ends. my friend owns a 323 and 328 and his has similar problems with bells and whistles breaking. i understand i did buy a used car and with that comes problems. i guess it all goes back to who the previous owner was. i know that any vehicle i have owned in the past whether i paid 2k or 60k i took care of it. i have a mustang gt that i have owned for almost 11 years and other than the normal wear and tear on the interior and exterior, the car is in mint condition with 82k miles. i guess it's just a pet peeve of mine.
luke1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
You bought a car that is 9-10 years old depending on when it was built. It was owned by someone who probably didn't care about it at all. The fact that it's in good running condition is something to throw a party for. There are plenty of 99-01 cars on here in flawless condition because of the way they were cared for.

You pretty much hit it on the nose with your Mustang, you took care of it and it is in mint condition. Replace all the broken stuff on your car, give it a good wash, clay, polish, and wax and see what it looks like. Also, before you mod make sure you maintain properly. The quality of BMW parts is second to none in most cases, you should be able to tell that almost immediately compared to your late 90s Mustang...
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Pics, and mine is clean as a whistle.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
luke1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You bought a car that is 9-10 years old depending on when it was built. It was owned by someone who probably didn't care about it at all. The fact that it's in good running condition is something to throw a party for. There are plenty of 99-01 cars on here in flawless condition because of the way they were cared for.

You pretty much hit it on the nose with your Mustang, you took care of it and it is in mint condition. Replace all the broken stuff on your car, give it a good wash, clay, polish, and wax and see what it looks like. Also, before you mod make sure you maintain properly. The quality of BMW parts is second to none in most cases, you should be able to tell that almost immediately compared to your late 90s Mustang...
Fortunately the car does run good. I had to do some maintenance to it but I expected that. I'll get all the pieces that are broke fixed eventually. Once I do, it will be a better looking car. Dont get me wrong the car looks pretty good with all things considered and I really like the car.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
whitexi

My Ride: 02 325xi, 98 integra
Just don't open the back doors and lean onto the rain channel that curves around the back doors. They will break to and there not cheap.
whitexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
luke1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexi View Post
Just don't open the back doors and lean onto the rain channel that curves around the back doors. They will break to and there not cheap.
That's funny u mentioned that. That is one of the pieces that are broken. Lol
Old 09-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
MrJL

My Ride: 2003 330i
When you say rain channel, are you talking about the metal strip that runs along the top of the door? I have been looking for a name for that thing for a while because mine has seperated, and I cannot seem to get the two ends back together.
MrJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
luke1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJL View Post
When you say rain channel, are you talking about the metal strip that runs along the top of the door? I have been looking for a name for that thing for a while because mine has seperated, and I cannot seem to get the two ends back together.
check the link below and look at item #13. this is the part i am referring too on my car that is broke and needs replaced.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=51&fg=20
Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
MrJL

Yep. That's the one. It seperated on a seam above my rear driver side door. I cannot push the two sides back together. There is a 1 inch gap that catches people clothes when they brush up against the side of my car. I have got no clue how this happened or how to fix it. I don't know the extent of the damage to yours, but I am just going to live with mine for now... I am busy stopping oil from spraying out of every crevice in my engine at this moment.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
luke1213

Getting your oil problem fixed would be my first concern too.
Yea mine has about a 1/2" gap and it is being held on by two sided tape. Got other issues with the car at this moment like yourself. This can wait.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJL View Post
Yep. That's the one. It seperated on a seam above my rear driver side door. I cannot push the two sides back together. There is a 1 inch gap that catches people clothes when they brush up against the side of my car. I have got no clue how this happened or how to fix it. I don't know the extent of the damage to yours, but I am just going to live with mine for now... I am busy stopping oil from spraying out of every crevice in my engine at this moment.
they pop off... that part you're talking about is where they were fused or glued together and it has separated.

you cannot slide the main part back, you must remove it and then put it back in the proper position.

remove the long portion (pops off with clips)
put some epoxy on the part that overlaps.
replace the long part and wait to dry.

that simple

don't feel bad, I suffered with that for years before someone on the forum here told me what to do.

when i did it i couldn't beleive how easy it was.
i kinda felt dumb, but then again i was afraid to break or bend the long trim piece.

GL

btw-

apparently some are on with glue goop but mine wer on with clips:

this his how i discovered the fix:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...766&highlight=

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 09-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
MrJL

Thank you. I can't wait to stamp "Fixed" on this issue. I will probably be able to give this a go on Thursday. Like you said, I was afraid to break/bend the piece.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
MrJL

No luck. I was able to bring it in a little closer, but the gap closed from about 1" to .5". I can't get the front part any closer to the back, and the back is on clips, so I can't really move that or they don't line up. It was also 2AM, so I might give it another go with the metal warmed up in direct sunlight.