E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passnu2 View Post

yet again noise came back for me...Same thing when I replaced the other pulley's.
My new to me ZHP has the same noise right after a cold start and goes away in about 20 seconds. You think it's the tensioner pulley?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
Passnu2

My Ride: Sport Wagon
Took off my AC belt and my noise is gone again so it's staying off

Recent Maintenance: Spark Plugs/CCV/Expansion Tank/Radiator/Thermostat/Both Intake Boots/Air Filter/Cabin Filter/Valve Cover Gasket/Control Arm Bushings/All Pulleys/Hatch Shocks/Vanos Oil Line/Fuel Pump/Fuel Pressure Regulator/Rear Rotors & Pads/Belts/Water Hoses/Front End Links/Front Sway Bar Bushings/Alternator/Power Steering Hoses/Power Steering Reservoir.
Passnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Passnu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
My new to me ZHP has the same noise right after a cold start and goes away in about 20 seconds. You think it's the tensioner pulley?
Mine would seem to go away when driving then returned when stopped in gear. In neutral or park it used to go away. This last time it was constant and since I replaced my pulley makes me believe my ac clutch/pulley took a crap. It's cold out so in no rush for ac lol

Recent Maintenance: Spark Plugs/CCV/Expansion Tank/Radiator/Thermostat/Both Intake Boots/Air Filter/Cabin Filter/Valve Cover Gasket/Control Arm Bushings/All Pulleys/Hatch Shocks/Vanos Oil Line/Fuel Pump/Fuel Pressure Regulator/Rear Rotors & Pads/Belts/Water Hoses/Front End Links/Front Sway Bar Bushings/Alternator/Power Steering Hoses/Power Steering Reservoir.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
Passnu2

Do you know if the coolant system has been overhauled? (Water pump/thermostat/expansion tank/ect) if yes then I would start with the pulley's and new belts. I'm new to this car myself just not working on cars. Post as much as you can as others may have some suggestions as well

Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
Passnu2

well it came back yet again for me today...Took off the AC belt and noise fully went away again. Drove it for 15 min and it came back again. Hear it when stopped at a traffic light and "seems" to go away upon acceleration. I'm lost here
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
JLiprie

My Ride: 2002 E46
Exact same problem. Check the hose off your secondary air pump. Mine had a good size tear. Also the hose rubber deteriorated to the consistency of modeling clay. Really should take it off and look at it.
JLiprie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Passnu2

well I'm almost done with the lower intake boots (both) and the DIY: CCV, DISA, ICV, Oil Separator...I did find the prior owner took electrical tape to the hose that comes off the valve cover to the oil separator so my guess is that was my noise or my intake elbow. Didn't see anything wrong with mine but still installed the new one. I hope to report back with NO noises
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
Passnu2

all good, not a fun project, but its nice and quiet again.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #29
Jsmk23

My Ride: 02 325i-JapanRot Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passnu2 View Post
all good, not a fun project, but its nice and quiet again.
So if you can break it down, what things did u do/replace?

And what did it turn out to be?
Jsmk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #30
Passnu2

^ I'm assuming it was partially my pulley and the vacuum/oil separator....(just a guess)

I replaced the following:
Both lower intake boots (T/B & MAF) - same as the Oil Separator for the DIY...
Replaced Idler Pulley & both Tensioner Pulley
Oil Separator and Vacuum Lines.

I did get a P0340 - CAM Shaft Circuit today so I must have a loose connection or just ironic that it went. Ill play with this today.

So far no noise today and it was going away for ~ 1 day when I did the other items so if I have not replied here in a few days my noise if finally gone.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
Passnu2

Im all good, day two with no noise and I forgot to plug the Cam Shaft Postion Sensor back in so it was my stupid fault for the code. Cleared the code and drives great! Glad to be done of this noise!!!