E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
kensou

My Ride: ///M3 E46 cab
Send a message via MSN to kensou Send a message via Yahoo to kensou
What's the difference between the bluetooth module and the TCU assist module ?

all is in the subject, thanks in advance for your help.
kensou is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Twiford

My Ride: Is Expensive
An assist TCU contains only the correct hardware to use BMW Assist. The Bluetooth TCU operates the bluetooth for the phone. Some TCUs have both.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
With respect to E46 cars, there are two types of telecommunications modules: ULF modules and TCU modules.

ULF: Dealer (or owner) added bluetooth module, ULF modules did not come installed from the factory. The ULF has bluetooth but not Assist. Replaces the Assist modules (so cars with ULF modules no longer have Assist). Were made staring ~2003 to add bluetooth functionality when the TCU module only had Assist. ULF modules had the added benefit of including voice commands for the Nav system (if you have it) in addition to the phone. There are many versions of ULF modules (13 revisions). Some of the early versions were very buggy. ULF modules also require the installation of a special pairing button to put the module in pairing mode to initially connect with a bluetooth phone.

TCU: Original modules only had Assist functionality. Starting with model year 2005 cars BMW included bluetooth functionality with Assist in the TCU unit, making ULF modules essentially obsolete. There are many, many versions of the TCU module including CDMA (USA) and GSM (Euro) ones. Only the CDMA ones work in the US. There are also iBus (i.e. E46) and MOST bus (i.e. E92/3) versions. Originally the price of TCU modules was >> than ULF modules so people added bluetooth via ULF modules. Now the pricing is reversed with TCU modules being < ULF modules (if you can even get a ULF module anymore). TCU modules do not require a pairing button, they go into pairing mode for a few minutes right after the car is started.

You can read more here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...8&postcount=18
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...

Last edited by profM3; 09-14-2009 at 02:05 PM.
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
profM3, do you happen to know of anywhere online that has a version history for the different iterations of the TCU module, and what changed in each version? I know I can get a part number history from realoem, but am interested to know more about what changed from version to version.
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
kensou

thank you all for your replie

but i didn't understand the diff. between both, in the long post above of profm3 at the 1st read.

gonna read again.

Also, i didn't understood clearly what is the role of the BMW ASSIST (TCU) ?

Last edited by kensou; 09-20-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiford View Post
An assist TCU contains only the correct hardware to use BMW Assist. The Bluetooth TCU operates the bluetooth for the phone. Some TCUs have both.
No. New TCU's contain Bluetooth also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensou View Post
thank you all for your replie

but i didn't understand the diff. between both, in the long post above of profm3 at the 1st read.

gonna read again.

Also, i didn't understood clearly what is the role of the BMW ASSIST (TCU) ?
BMW Assist is a US-based program. If you break down, get a flat etc, your car has a cellular phone built into that can only call BMW's emergency based call center. When you call they can call an ambulance, arrange a tow etc. You don't need a cell phone for this. There is a monthly fee with Assist btw. When yoy buy a new BMW thye give you a year or 2 of Assist service for free.

ULFs were designed for the rest of the world to give Bluetooth connectivity to your cell phone.

The current TCUs have Bluetooth for your cell phone connectivity as well as the Assist features.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
I have a list of TCU and ULF part numbers posted at the link below. It has a few comments about the different modules, but mostly it is culled from realoem.com and the forums. I can make no guarantee about accuracy, but I am happy to update it with new information if sent to me via a PM.

TCU and ULF List

BTW, in buying a TCU from a private party (not the dealer, for example from ebay), you have to make sure that that it matches the cellular system BMW uses in your country. In the US, BMW uses CDMA TCU modules, in Europe they use GSM TCU modules. There are plenty of GSM modules for sale on the ebay, but I have never heard of anyone getting a GSM TCU to work in the US, even just the bluetooth part.

Another BTW. Make sure any TCU that you are looking at buying from ebay for an E46 car is not from a MOST bus car like an E60 5 series. MOST bus (optical fiber) electronics are not compatible with iBus (single copper wire) electronics. You can research whether a car is iBus or MOST on the web. For example E46 ibus; Z4 E85/6 ibus; X3 E83 ibus; X5 E53 iBus; E90/1/2/3 MOST bus; X5 E70 MOST bus; Z4 E89 MOST bus. As BMW has introduced new cars, all iBus cars are replaced with MOST bus technology. I believe the only iBus car currently being sold by BMW is the X3.
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...

Last edited by profM3; 09-21-2009 at 11:33 AM.
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
kensou

This TCU unit comes from US and has Bluetooth.
Can anyone tell me whether this TCU will work in Europe ?

Thanks for your help.