E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Tutankhamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 2,368
My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Quick Power Steering Question

Just wanted to try and diagnose a minor issue I seem to be having. At idle the car seems to have a bit of a drone coming from what I believe to be the passenger side of the engine. It's very inconsistent and doesn't happen all the time. I believe the drone to be coming from the power steering because I can reproduce the sound whenever I turn the wheel a bit.

What's throwing me for a loop however is whenever I press down on the accelerator a bit and get the rpms north of 1000, the drone goes away. I checked my PS fluid and it seems a bit low. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but there are 2 ridges on the PS dipstick, should the level be touching the fill line or should it be right at the bottom line? Currently it's sitting right at the bottom first ridge.

If it's not the PS what can be located towards the passenger side that would drone at idle like that?
Also I guess I should ask, where exactly is the PS pump located?

Thanks in advance for the help.
__________________

Last edited by Tutankhamon; 09-23-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
avglushk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 316
My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
I had that drone too. Put more ATF in PS container. Fluid should be at the top ridge.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader
Sorry to hear about your mirror. This is what happens when you don't change your mirror fluid at the recommended intervals.
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Tutankhamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 2,368
My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avglushk View Post
I had that drone too. Put more ATF in PS container. Fluid should be at the top ridge.
Was your drone also coming from what seemed like the passenger side?
__________________
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
avglushk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 316
My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
hard to say. dont remember. it was long time ago. But it always happened when i was making right turns. For some reason didnt hear anything when i was turning wheel to the left. But adding more ATF solved my problem.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader
Sorry to hear about your mirror. This is what happens when you don't change your mirror fluid at the recommended intervals.
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,847
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
TUT,

Not knowing where GTA is, I don't know what the passenger side is.

PS pump on my car is on the left side of engine. Follow the fatter hose from the PS reservoir...it goes to the pump.

Fluid 'should' be at the second fine line on the stick, as mentioned.

If it's not clear pink, then start turkey basting with appropriate fluid, which is Dex III for my car.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
That noise can be anything with a bearing. And engines have tons of stuff with bearings that spin. Are you up to date on your tensioner pulleys? Hows your alternator and a/c compressor?

Don't automatically associate the noise with your power steering pump because it gets louder as you turn the wheel. Realize that when you turn your steering wheel, your engine RPMs will fluctuate a bit to compensate for the pump being used. If I had to guess, I'd guess your a/c compressor bearings are just noisy.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Tutankhamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 2,368
My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
TUT,

Not knowing where GTA is, I don't know what the passenger side is.

PS pump on my car is on the left side of engine. Follow the fatter hose from the PS reservoir...it goes to the pump.

Fluid 'should' be at the second fine line on the stick, as mentioned.

If it's not clear pink, then start turkey basting with appropriate fluid, which is Dex III for my car.
Toronto, Canada so same side as you. I'll top up the fluid as it needs to be topped up anyways. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
That noise can be anything with a bearing. And engines have tons of stuff with bearings that spin. Are you up to date on your tensioner pulleys? Hows your alternator and a/c compressor?

Don't automatically associate the noise with your power steering pump because it gets louder as you turn the wheel. Realize that when you turn your steering wheel, your engine RPMs will fluctuate a bit to compensate for the pump being used. If I had to guess, I'd guess your a/c compressor bearings are just noisy.
Pullies should be fine as they were replaced not too long ago. A/C compressor has never been touched to be honest. If the bearings are noisy for the A/C, is this something that can be replaced independently or do I need an entire new A/C unit?

I'm basically just trying to narrow down the possible culprits, it definitely sounds like passenger side though.
__________________
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Tutankhamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 2,368
My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
I think I may have found the culprit and I may have lucked out, might be an easy fix.

It turns out that the vibration seems to be coming from the secondary air pump. More specifically, it seems like the air pump casing itself is vibrating up against the metal bracket holding it.

Has anybody ever experienced something like this before? The air pump seems to just freely rest in the metal bracket with rubber cushions. Did I lose a clip or something that secures it or do they all just freely sit there?
__________________
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,847
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
I think I may have found the culprit and I may have lucked out, might be an easy fix.

It turns out that the vibration seems to be coming from the secondary air pump. More specifically, it seems like the air pump casing itself is vibrating up against the metal bracket holding it.

Has anybody ever experienced something like this before? The air pump seems to just freely rest in the metal bracket with rubber cushions. Did I lose a clip or something that secures it or do they all just freely sit there?
My doesn't wobble...take a photo of what you have and I'll have a look at mine and compare. Also, realoem is your friend, you know!

I'm sure you can tighten up the bracket...I'll check later...but also, if by chance the hose feels squishy and thus might have plugged the inlet to valve, I could see how the pump might cavitate, even though it's only air, that might add to the wobble...a crazy theory! If hose is soft, check that inlet for gunk.

HTH
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Tutankhamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 2,368
My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Thanks dmax for the help and the offer. I'll post a pic when I get the chance. From doing a bit more research, it seems that the airpump shouldn't be able to move as much as it does in my engine bay. I can literally lift the entire thing up. Looks like the mounts are made of poor quality and are just broken. I feel like I should just zip tie everything back down but that might not look right.
__________________
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use