E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
The Funk Skunk

My Ride: '03 330xi
Unhappy 330xi Electric Problems?!

'03 330xi, just picked it up. Taillights had the common burnt-pins, but was able to re-solder. The taillights on the trunk lid, though, are running EXTREMELY bright and getting really hot. Also, one license plate light is out and I'm getting no power whatsoever to it.

But that's the least of my worries...last week I had a problem where the cluster lights wouldn't turn off even an hour after I turned off the lights and shut the doors. I pulled the fuse for the Cluster to check it, (it was fine) I put it back and they turned off, but wouldn't turn back on when they should have (Turn signals work on outside but don't blink/click on inside). At the same time, I lost steering wheel controls and key fob function. I drove it for about 15 minutes and it corrected itself. These problems must all be related.

BUT...it happened again and this time didn't fix itself. Any ideas as to what either of the problems may be?

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I took it out for a 45 minute drive today and during the ride it probably corrected itself and turned off again 10 times...

Last edited by The Funk Skunk; 09-24-2011 at 01:34 PM.
The Funk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
How's your battery?

Aging batteries do all sorts of funky things to the electronics on these cars.

Check that the ground cables are tight too.

Lastly, regarding the lights, suspect a chaffed wire in the harness that passes from the car to the trunk lid, this part of the harness sees a lot of stress from the opening and closing of the trunk. Had to fix 4 wires on my dad's e34 for similar symptoms.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Prob need a whole new trunk handle to get the plate light working.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Are the lens covers on the lights? it is somewhat typical for the lens covers to fall off, letting the bulbs open to the elements and water each time the car is washed, adding excessive corrosion to the ends of the bulbs and to the "sockets". Electronic component cleaner, available at radio shack, can be used to clean the "sockets" and the ends of the bulbs. As far as the tail lights themselves go, there is a recall on the tail lights, see the HOME page of this forum for details and since you are a new owner for the car and it may be subject to the recall, call BMW NA at the phone number included in the write up and give them the last 7 digits of the VIN and all your information and you will be contacted if the car is included in the recall.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
White_Knuckles

"The taillights on the trunk lid, though, are running EXTREMELY bright and getting really hot"

Sounds like the prior owner may have installed the wrong spec bulbs. Pull and check 'em before the housings melt! All your bulbs are Euro spec. US bulbs fit the same socket but they often have too high wattage. Check on Sylvania's website for a great lookup guide.

Your phantom dash issue is not likely related to other hard wired gremlins. Unfortunately, there's a mysterious LCM (lighting control module) that can be a monster when its logic is hosed. The box is related to most lighting control and perhaps the cluster? There is a guy out there who repairs these babies and of course salvage units. Checkout the simple stuff before heading down the LCM road.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 09-26-2011 at 07:48 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
I had the opposite, driver side tail was dim, was a combination of melted plastic & a wiring harness fix.
Definitely try swapping bulbs first though. I would 2nd the potential battery issue as well.

For the plate lights, I have the same, one works. As Kubica mentioned, you need the entire trunk 'handle kit', and they come with primer, so, they need to be painted.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Kubica

^325's come with a matte black handle so it doesn't need paint.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
SharkmanBMW

Fair enough, What color is the primer?
I actually found a few places offering a black option, which I ordered. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be in stock anywhere because my order was cancelled and I haven't been able to find any elsewhere.
Black would have been ok on my silver 330.

Kubica, have you dealt with the recall or had you already done it yourself (or never had problems)?
I guess I will have them look at the recall while they do the brake job - shockingly - it is cheaper to let the dealer do it than I can buy the parts for at the same dealer! $1050 in parts even with garage discount vs. $750 for the same parts installed!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
tomoyer

The tail light recall is for the main section of the tail lights, not the section within the trunk. The inner tail light assembly with the sockets and bulbs has too much resistance in them, and they heat up, usually the turn signal bulb is affected but the others can be as well. Don't know if any were actually contacted yet to bring them in to have the parts switched out, but if you purchase the new parts, keep your slips and your car is part of the recall (meaning you get a notice from BMWNA), they will re-imburse you for the price you paid and labor.

As far as the section on the trunk, two things to check, check the wiring harness where it comes out of the body and where it goes into the trunk lid for rubbed open bare spots in the wires and make sure that the correct bulbs are in the sockets. Many times, incorrect bulbs are put in and they burn brighter (have seen people put 2 filament bulbs in a socket that is only made for a single filament bulb, both filaments try to work, back feed each other, burn bright and/or short out).

There is a test you can make to see if all your dash lights and instruments are working correctly: the test procedure is on You Tube and can also be found in the Bentley Service Manual. First place to start looking for that problem. Next, make sure that ALL fuses are fully seated and have no corrosion on them (and that they are of the correct amperage). Then you can pull the dash cluster and make sure that both wiring plugs and their pins on the circuit board are clean and that the plugs are firmly seated onto the board. Finally, you may want to check for a water leak. Rain or wash water that leaks into the interior can play hell. Make sure that there is no water getting into the area of the fuse box (corrosion on fuses will be a telltale). Make sure that your sun roof drains are open and discharging outside the car. On my one XI, I found a water leak in the rear seating area, the "wells" under the seat had standing water in them. Besides the fuel pump and gas gauge sender wiring running there, there can be several unused plugs laying there, and if water gets in those open, unused connectors, they can cause shorts and/or things not working correctly.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
Fair enough, What color is the primer?
I actually found a few places offering a black option, which I ordered. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be in stock anywhere because my order was cancelled and I haven't been able to find any elsewhere.
Black would have been ok on my silver 330.

Kubica, have you dealt with the recall or had you already done it yourself (or never had problems)?
I guess I will have them look at the recall while they do the brake job - shockingly - it is cheaper to let the dealer do it than I can buy the parts for at the same dealer! $1050 in parts even with garage discount vs. $750 for the same parts installed!
Those prices don't sound right. Should be around $75 for a new handle.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
tomoyer

definitely was a bad move to not being able to buy just the lens for the license plate lights and having to buy the whole assembly!!! gotta take the lens off to change the bulbs when they burn out, so why not sell just the lens? Oh, they wouldn't cost as much............
Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
SharkmanBMW

The explanation from BMW was that the part the lens screws into is usually rotten & cannot hold a screw! Great craftsmanship lol

Kubica - I wish I was wrong about those brake job prices! Canadian prices are outrageous - I know
They gouge because they know any products I get elsewhere will include shipping, duty, taxes & brokerage and will ultimately cost about the same.
That $1000 for brake parts consists of 4 rotors, 4 sets of pads, sensors - all OEM product from dealer!
How much are these parts at a USA dealership?

IF one of you guys could take orders & deliver up here- you would be very, very busy!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Kubica

^ Oh I thought you were quoting prices for the trunk and tail light jobs.

I buy brembo rotors for the front and Zimmerman for the rear for about $55-70 each.
Performance friction Z pads are about $75 per axle.
I can DIY all four corners for under $500.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #14
My white xi

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
The explanation from BMW was that the part the lens screws into is usually rotten & cannot hold a screw! Great craftsmanship lol

Kubica - I wish I was wrong about those brake job prices! Canadian prices are outrageous - I know
They gouge because they know any products I get elsewhere will include shipping, duty, taxes & brokerage and will ultimately cost about the same.
That $1000 for brake parts consists of 4 rotors, 4 sets of pads, sensors - all OEM product from dealer!
How much are these parts at a USA dealership?

IF one of you guys could take orders & deliver up here- you would be very, very busy!
i will do your brakes for 500$ it about the same price for the parts as Kubica.. and it in Canada

Last edited by My white xi; 11-30-2011 at 05:32 AM.
My white xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
SharkmanBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by My white xi View Post
i will do your brakes for 500$ it about the same price for the parts as Kubica.. and it in Canada
Not if you buy the parts at the dealer
I have had bad experience with the 'same' rotors bought from aftermarket resellers. Same packaging, same name, same model... but not the same quality. (Warp, constant vibrations...) Happened on my 540i and the first set on my e46.
I am not the only one that has had this experience and now only buy rotors from the dealer.
A few mechanics here are the same, certain parts ONLY from dealer, even though the corner parts guy has the "same" for less. I supplied the identical parts as the mechanic told me to get, but when I said they were from parts guy & not dealer, he didn't want to install it!

**There is a GOOD chance the aftermarket 'OEM' rotors sold down there are legit and the ones here are not the same quality - I am NOT trying to imply the rotors you guys get are bad! But, the ones here are rumored to be made with inferior steel in a different factory AND PURPOSELY MIS-LABELED to deceive. We are a small market and maybe someone thought they could pull a fast one!

Last edited by SharkmanBMW; 11-30-2011 at 09:54 AM.
SharkmanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote