E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
B_M_W

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Exclamation '02 BMW 330Ci rear wheel camber ?.?.

I've been having some tire issues with my BMW, first time I've had any wheel trouble since I got the car 7 months ago.
I did notice that the tires (the rear especially) seemed to be wearing suspiciously well on the outsides and seemed to be wearing the same in the middle, so I was skeptical..
My right rear had developed a slow leak, and so I had a replacement tire mounted until I could get a new set for the rear.. The replacement tire ended up catching a nail in it and developed a leak as well so I just said screw it, and had the tire changed for a new one since the other (left rear) seemed fine as far as tread.
When the guys at the tire shop lifted the car off the ground, they called me back and asked me which tire needed changed, I told them the one with the nail and leak. They proceeded to inform me that I needed to change the other instead and just plug the tire! I was astounded to hear this news and even asked to check the tire since I was confused at the situation at hand... Turns out, the left tire hardly wore down any at all except for the very inside of the tire, maybe an inch and a half or two inches of the inside tread of the tire was wore, the rest of the tire looked incredible; all the tread it had on it.!
The mechanic said that a lot of BMW have cambered wheels and I suppose I happened to buy one of the particular models with the cambered rear wheel.. is there any way to safely and without having to change anything about other components to the car, reduce the camber, or take the camber out alltogether so that I have a nice even tread wear on my almost $200 dollar a piece tires and actually get the full tread life out of them???
B_M_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
biMMer4.4i

My Ride: 2002 330i
'02 BMW 330Ci rear wheel camber ?.?.

Rotate the tires on the rim itself every few thousand miles and keep proper tire pressure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
^ only if the tires or not directional.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
Camber is easily adjustable. Sounds like you have too much negative camber if the insides are wearing unevenly. Rotation will not solve the problem if both tires are wearing on the inside. Just bring it to an alignment shop and have them adjust it.

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14

Last edited by Tim30250; 01-05-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
I've always had the opposite problem where it was wearing on the insides, even after several realignments. I finally told them to "overdue" the camber to compensate, and it fixed the problem. I often find that factory spec isn't always the best for your car. I also like to put my tires at 40PSI to prevent outside tire wear, but it depends on how you drive your car. I personally like to corner hard.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I know for ZHPs inner tire wear is very common.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
biMMer4.4i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
^ only if the tires or not directional.
Very true, if you have staggered and directional tires you are stuck haha. Sounds like OP has finally encountered $35k used car maintenance...
Upon rereading the first post, it definitely sounds like an alignment is needed, as others have mentioned.

Last edited by biMMer4.4i; 01-11-2014 at 10:53 PM.
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
make sure your rtab's are in good condition.... camber is ok, but add toe with that and you will eat your tires. I did both my rtab's and took out as much of the camber that I could. When you get on the gas, your rear tires are trying to propel your car forward. .. basically a "twisting" force and with worn bushings the tires will move forward toward the body- which adds toe to the rear wheels.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
B_M_W

Thumbs down Still not fixed even after alignment..

I went to my local alignment shop and had them do a 4 wheel alignment and told them I needed the rear camber adjusted..
They told me "sure, we can do that" - so I had them try and line it up..
When I went to get it back I asked if they fixed the negative camber.. and they said "we can't do it, you'll have to take it to BMW shop".. which they totally lied about in the first place but I think that is BS! Now I'm to the point where I am rather pissed. Are they really just that ignorant that they can't fix some negative wheel camber???!!!
Also, even though they did the four wheel align and supposedly fixed the toe in front, I have a slight (ever so slight, but it's still there nonetheless) pull to the right.. I feel like they just ****ed my car up even more honestly.. if not they didn't do their jobs right to begin with.
Any recommendations on somewhere other than a BMW shop that can help me out as they are doubly over expensive in comparison to anyone else?? This is frustrating me beyond belief and I'm tired of throwing $ down for people to "fix" a problem that stays the same even after work is done..
Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
johnrando

Of course you can have them reduce the camber during an alignment for better tire wear (depending on what it's set at). But yes, as I said before, the E46s tend to wear out the inner tires. The handling would be different, but for normal DD street driving it shouldn't be a problem. Surprised they didn't mention that as an option. A good tire shop should be able to deal with that. I have heard of some alignment shops saying they couldn't, and to go to a dealer... but a dealer is not required. Wonder if camber plates would help with that. I'm not sure you could dial out ALL the negative camber. Maybe ask in the suspension forum.

EDIT: OK, I just read up on this. Front camber is more easily adjusted than rear in BMWs in general. Also, "most BMW's don't have much adjustment toward positive camber in the rear that would greatly affect tire wear", unless you buy camber plates (or what they call adjustable camber kits). Bavauto is where I read this, and they happen to have camber kits on sale.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 04-14-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
B_M_W

Thanks for the replies you guys.
The guys at the shops I've been bringing my 330 to all have something different to say about the camber & most of them are wrong. They just want to see me spend all my money at their business. I've heard everything from 'sure no problem to change the camber' to 'no, you'd have to take it to BMW shop to get anything done.'
I've since looked into aftermarket camber arms and it's my understanding that stock, there is minimal adjustment I can make, but if I put aftermarket arms on it, I can adjust them however I need. This will probably be my next course of action. I believe part of the reason I have as much camber in the rear end as I do is because the car has probably been lowered slightly from stock setup (I don't know how much though as I'm not original owner).
I still believe I can make an adjustment that will improve the tire wear, perhaps not set it to 0, but I believe the spec on the rear is setup at -1 degree on camber so as long as I can get it closer to that mark I'll be content with it. I think the aftermarket arms will be my best bet.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
I had the same issue with my 330, it would destroy the inside of the tires while the mid and outside were fine. Stock these cars will do that, lower them at all and it gets much worse.

The RTABS do play a part, if they are sloppy, it will not hold the toe adjustment under acceleration or braking and coupled with the camber will eat the inside of the tire.

The other issue is the car comes with a lot of negative camber from the factory and again, lowering the car makes it worse. There is very little adjustment for camber available in stock form, like half a degree if you are lucky. The answer is to get adjustable rear lower control arms. With the adjustable arms you can set your camber where ever you want it with the turn of a wrench. The arms are not terrible to install, you do have to drop the rear diff down a bit to get to the bolts, but it is not too hard of a job.

I installed the arms myself then took the car to the local BMW alignment expert and he set the car up to maintain some of the stock handling but to also reduce the inner tire wear. He asked me how I wanted it, my wife freeway commutes the car 50 miles per day so tire wear is more important to me than superb handling, it is not a weekend twisties car, so he set it up as such.

I got the arms on sale from Advanced Auto for $110, very cheap outlay to protect my tire investment.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Forgot to add.

With respect to which shop to take it to. Yes you can use a BMW dealership if you want, they will definitely have the tools to get the job done, they may not be as enthused about the new adjustable arms you install.

My recommendation is to talk to a local indy shop and ask them where to go. There is a very very good indy shop close to me, they are very well respected and trusted by anyone with a BMW in a 300 mile radius. I called them up and asked where to get my car aligned. Believe it or not they told me to go to a Commercial Tire location. There is a guy that works there that is the quintessential expert on BMWs. They send all their alignment work to him. I called him up and he is the one who told me to install the adjustable arms and then bring the car to him. I had the car aligned previous to talking to him and the camber was still bad and the car pulled left. I installed the arms and took it to him and the camber is visibly better, no bad tire wear and the car tracks straight as an arrow.

Call around and see if there is a guru in your area.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
Excellent deal! Especially cause tires cost $125 or more a piece! Anyway, my local Big-O managed to overcompensate on the stock setup for the negative camber, and I have noticeably worse handling, but much better tire wear. Worth it for a daily commuter.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #15
jaakkeeye
Banned User

wellcome to this forum site ,sorry friend i am not comfort for your question reply so please contect expert.
jaakkeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSleeper View Post
Excellent deal! Especially cause tires cost $125 or more a piece! Anyway, my local Big-O managed to overcompensate on the stock setup for the negative camber, and I have noticeably worse handling, but much better tire wear. Worth it for a daily commuter.
if you're SoCal, Globe Tire in Manhattan Beach really knows what they are doing, and they always have BMWs in their shop.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #17
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.
I took the negative camber out of the rears wheels using the adjustment bolt on the lower end of the control arm. I have 40k miles on my current set of Kumhos and the wear is excellent!

Tags
330ci, bmw, rear wheel, tires, tread