E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
josephi

My Ride: '02 330i
Window motor problems

I tried posting this in the DIY forum, but got no responses, so I decided to try this forum instead. I think I have two separate window problems here, but am not quite sure, and was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced them (2002 330i).

1. I noticed that while being lowered, both of my rear windows are making faint clicking sounds that occur at even intervals. This does not happen while they are being raised. I took the left side apart and inspected the regulator, which appears to be fine. I then held and operated the motor while out of the door, and could feel and hear a small change in torque at even intervals, about two seconds apart. When I reinstalled the motor and operated it, I could see the motor jiggle as it clicked. Could this be a sign that the motor is about to give out?

2. As I was testing the motor, I would run it several times in a row, then all of a sudden, it would stop working, no matter how many times I tried the switch. After a few seconds of waiting, I would try it again, and it would once again work. This happened using both the switch on the door and the switch on the console, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with either switch. Is there some sort of system that temporarily shuts the motor off to protect it from overheating, or could it be a problem with faulty relays in the GM5 module, or is it the motor itself and related to the first problem?

Thanks for any help!
josephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Both of my rear window regulators went out a year or so ago (only a few weeks apart, of all things)..
The plastics in the carrier plate are usually the ones that breaks/cracks > causing the cable to jump the regulator pulley and/or wrap itself around the motor gear. So, I would suggest you re-inspect the metal carrier plate, look at the plastic (that's molded) on the underside of the plate that holds the cable itself. There is a "up" side and a down "side".

The motor(s) rarely fail, unless it's been submerge in rain/water...
NOTE: Since you've stated it doesn't make the clicking on the way up, I can't see it being the motor itself.

Do you have a vid of the said motor "clicks" or the temporary hesitation/pause...?

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 10-14-2011 at 07:50 AM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
josephi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
Both of my rear window regulators went out a year or so ago (only a few weeks apart, of all things)..
The plastics in the carrier plate are usually the ones that breaks/cracks > causing the cable to jump the regulator pulley and/or wrap itself around the motor gear. So, I would suggest you re-inspect the metal carrier plate, look at the plastic (that's molded) on the underside of the plate that holds the cable itself. There is a "up" side and a down "side".

The motor(s) rarely fail, unless it's been submerge in rain/water...
NOTE: Since you've stated it doesn't make the clicking on the way up, I can't see it being the motor itself.

Do you have a vid of the said motor "clicks" or the temporary hesitation/pause...?
I took the regulator out and inspected it, and it is in good condition. Those clips that are usually prone to failure are intact. The motor seems to be the cause of the clicking, as the uneven "torquing" that occurs when I operate it is causing it to slightly move while mounted on the regulator, and those little "bumps" coincide with the clicks that I hear. When raising the window, the motor spins in the opposite direction, so I'm thinking that the "torquing" and resulting movement of the motor might be a little different, resulting in no clicking sounds.

I haven't shot a video yet, but I'm thinking maybe I will, as this problem with the motor is one that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.

Thanks for your response!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
skibum325iT

My Ride: 325iT
+1 on the regulators. The clicking you hear could be frayed wire inside the regulator. If you have not replaced them before, you mine as well do it now especially if your door is still apart.
skibum325iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
josephi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum325iT View Post
+1 on the regulators. The clicking you hear could be frayed wire inside the regulator. If you have not replaced them before, you mine as well do it now especially if your door is still apart.
I've checked the regulator, tested it for operation, and it is fine. The regulator was one of the first things I suspected, as in the nearly ten years I have owned this car, I have had six go bad on me. The cyclical nature of this clicking sound (sounds like a clock going tick, tick, tick, tick, about 1.5 or 2 seconds apart) made me suspect that it was either a pulley wheel on the regulator, or the motor. As it turns out, it looks like it's the motor, with that same tick, tick, tick torquing effect as it turns. I'm just afraid that this might be an indication that the motor is about to go out, and since the other rear window is also doing this now, I might have to replace two motors . Just thought I would ask since my searches have not revealed anything similar to this.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Regarding the windows stopping after repeated operation, it is the GM5 protecting the motor from overheating. It is nothing to be concerned with.

BTW the door locks do the same thing if you operate them too many times in a short period of time.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
josephi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Regarding the windows stopping after repeated operation, it is the GM5 protecting the motor from overheating. It is nothing to be concerned with.

BTW the door locks do the same thing if you operate them too many times in a short period of time.
That's good to know. One less thing to worry about.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I think the odds are much better it's two broken regulators you have and not two broken motors.

The regulators have wheels on them that turn. If one of those wheels is bad, it'd click each rotation as the cable snags. There a plastic gear you'll see where the cable is wrapped around...iirc it's the part that attaches directly on top of the motor. I think that's your issue.

Use a hose as stethoscope and isolate the location of the sound. If you think motor still, you can still think regulator, as it's right on top of the motor!

Remove regulator and try the motor...bet it won't click.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
josephi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I think the odds are much better it's two broken regulators you have and not two broken motors.

The regulators have wheels on them that turn. If one of those wheels is bad, it'd click each rotation as the cable snags. There a plastic gear you'll see where the cable is wrapped around...iirc it's the part that attaches directly on top of the motor. I think that's your issue.

Use a hose as stethoscope and isolate the location of the sound. If you think motor still, you can still think regulator, as it's right on top of the motor!

Remove regulator and try the motor...bet it won't click.
I have removed the motor and operated it while holding it in my hand. The motor runs with a sort of "bump" that occurs at even intervals, 1.5 to 2 seconds apart. I can't tell if it's the motor itself, or the gear box mechanism that it's attached to that's causing this, but when mounted to the regulator, each time that "bump" occurs, the motor visibly moves, accompanied by an audible, soft clicking sound. I have removed the regulator and it seems to operate smoothly, but have noticed that the plastic wheel you mentioned (with the cables wrapped) where the motor's gear sits when mounted seems a bit loose, such that it can be jiggled a little. I'm not sure if this is normal, to ensure free movement of the wheel, or if it should be more firmly attached, but I'm wondering if the "bumps" from the motor acting on that loose plastic wheel might be causing the clicking sounds.

So, possibly two parts starting to go bad?
1. Motor, or gear mechanism attached to it, not running evenly. Hopefully, the "bumps" aren't a sign that something is about to give out.
2. Loose wheel in the regulator. Hopefully the looseness is a normal condition and not a sign that it's about to come off.

Thanks very much for your ideas!