E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
MikeJGolde

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Installed: Dinan Stage 1 software for 2004 330Ci

After carefully weighing my options, I decided to purchase the Dinan Stage 1 software upgrade for my 2004 330Ci. You'll have to excuse my use of layman's terms here, I'm not exactly a gearhead; just a guy looking to improve the overall driving experience. For starters, I was hoping to eliminate the hesitation in the gas pedal. From what I've read on the forums, other people have had similar issues when it comes to the car not accelerating in a timely manner. Well, I can say this with certainty: The hesitation problem no longer exists after the Dinan upgrade. The car is so responsive, actually, it took a little getting used to at first; like driving a whole new car. I've also noticed an increase of acceleration somewhere in the 50mph-60mph range. Just feels like it has a little more pep. The only downside that I've noticed so far is the miles-per-gallon gauge seems to be acting erratic. I'll just tap on the gas and it will fly over to the 10mpg range, which it didn't used to do when such little pressure was applied. Whether or not this has negatively affected my gas mileage remains to be seen. Frankly, if the car continues to drive like this, I couldn't care less about the gas mileage.

On order: 15mm + 10mm H&R wheel spacers

Next up: Stage 2 software + Dinan intake and/or Dinan exhaust.

Michael Golde
Twitter: @MichaelJGolde
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	419267  
MikeJGolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
bugra

My Ride: 330i
Sounds good.BTW what was the price for it?
bugra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
MikeJGolde

Ah, yes, probably should have mentioned the price. It lists for $300, but Dinan is offering 15% off until October 31st. I was charged $50 for labor, so with tax, it came out around $325.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
unfortunelty you got 0 rwhp for that tune. for 300 bucks you coulda got the shark injector and picked up around 7rwhp with all the same peppiness but actual hp gains to. id recommend getting the performance intake with the tube that goes down to the bumper and then don't get the exhaust because its a waste of money. get a real cat-back
Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
bugra

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
unfortunelty you got 0 rwhp for that tune. for 300 bucks you coulda got the shark injector and picked up around 7rwhp with all the same peppiness but actual hp gains to. id recommend getting the performance intake with the tube that goes down to the bumper and then don't get the exhaust because its a waste of money. get a real cat-back
How do you know 0rwhp? Did you try both Dinan and Confronti?
bugra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
///Mspired

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugra View Post
How do you know 0rwhp? Did you try both Dinan and Confronti?
99% of Dinan products are over priced and far from the best, the reason being their "partnership" with BMW. Dinan products are forced to be mild due to the fact that all of their parts maintain the factory warranty.
///Mspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
///Miller325ci

My Ride: 2005 Dinan-S2 325Ci
Im sure the software made a pretty nice difference as it definitely did on my car... The difference was beating a car that I would previously lose to... Making 0 hp doesn't do that... And no dinan isnt really restricted in power gains because of bmw... Bmw and dinan are separate companies... Btw a dinan powered car in grand am won it's second straight championship like a week ago

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer
///Miller325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i think it's rated at like 5Hp gain, which i can completely believe.

with their intake and exhaust the dyno graphs show from 1Hp@2000rpm all the way to 12Hp@6500. TRQ is 10@5000rpm
Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
MikeJGolde

About five days after installation, it looks like my gas mileage is taking a significant hit. Some people have said the difference could be attributed to more aggressive driving with the new software, but I haven't been going nuts. I noticed the MPG gauge is acting very differently now, with the slightest touch of the gas pedal maxing it out. If this ends up costing me 50-75 miles per tank, as much as I love it, I may have to reconsider.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Interesting. Don't know that this helps, but my gas mileage as well as performance (similar to you, better throttle response) increase with my AA tune. So, if you do replace the Dinan, you may want to consider that.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
///Miller325ci

My Ride: 2005 Dinan-S2 325Ci
I got 33 mpg highway coming back from laguna seca after I got stage 3 and throtte body inatalled

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer
///Miller325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJGolde View Post
About five days after installation, it looks like my gas mileage is taking a significant hit. Some people have said the difference could be attributed to more aggressive driving with the new software, but I haven't been going nuts. I noticed the MPG gauge is acting very differently now, with the slightest touch of the gas pedal maxing it out. If this ends up costing me 50-75 miles per tank, as much as I love it, I may have to reconsider.
no it shouldn't be doing that. you're running premium gas right? not regular
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
your MPG gauge is simply a vacuum-controlled dial. its swinging into the 0mpg range quicker simply because the motor in general has been tuned for quicker response. that has nothing to do with your actual gas mileage. your mpg should actually go up. at least mine did with my OE Tuning tune

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
MikeJGolde

I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid because of the MPG gauge. But the fuel gauge seems lower than it normally is around 100 miles. I'm not doing a ton of highway driving either. Christ, what's most important here is that my car is driving better, maybe we should concentrate on the positives until I finish off the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	419693  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJGolde View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid because of the MPG gauge. But the fuel gauge seems lower than it normally is around 100 miles. I'm not doing a ton of highway driving either. Christ, what's most important here is that my car is driving better, maybe we should concentrate on the positives until I finish off the tank.
yes i never bothered with that. but often many people get better mileage, so for you to say it's taken a significant hit is out of the norm. that's why i asked if youre using 91 octane fuel so not to retard the engine
Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
Frankie330Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
Heyy man, i got a stage one dinan chip with dinan exaust. I definitly want an intake. The car is definitly louder and backfires a realll lot. I loveeee it!! If i was you i would go exaust and intake before you do the stage 2 chip. Also dinan makes front and rear sway bars. I have them in my 330ci. Handles gorgeously. Goodluck man!!
Frankie330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
MikeJGolde

Nothing but the primo fuel. I may be worried about getting nickle-and-dimed on the gas mileage, but I will not nickle and dime when it comes to the gas itself.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

Trust me, MPG goes up w/ a tune. Tunes lean out your fuel mixture so MPG would naturally go up. A heavy foot might cancel that out though.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son

just enjoy your "new" car

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
MikeJGolde

That's reassuring, thank you. This thread has inadvertently turned into a support group. I should probably just drop some coin on something else to distract me from the gas mileage!

Meanwhile, the wheel spacers from H&R are back ordered. I'll be sure to snap some before and after pictures when they finally arrive.