E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
mt3ch
Addicted to Torque!

My Ride: 08 E93 M3 & 11 335d
Send a message via AIM to mt3ch
Exclamation Help! Clunking noise coming from Front Right Fender Area! HELP PLEASE!

The other day I noticed a strange noise coming form what seems to be the Front right shock area. Its a "Clunk" whenever I go over bumps on the road that affter the front right tire. If I go over a bump on the left front tire, no noise.

Also if I push down on the front right side of the car to that the springs compress, you can hear a little of the clunking. I was pushing down on it a bunch of times and the same result, "clunk".

Now my car has RD Sways and I hear squeaking every now and then due to the fact that I didnt lubricate the Bushings, however this has never made a "CLUNKING" noise like my car makes now.

Now the noise only happens when I go over bumps. Performance hasnt been affected. I can still corner like a mad man without any signs of imbalance or bounce(if the shock was bad). Car still handles very tight in all aspects, however this noise is driving me crazy.

Any info or suggestion would be greatly appreaciated.

I am scared to take my car to my dealer b/c I have RD Sways on as well as my front end is a little damaged do to an orange cone I hit while on the highway 2 weeks ago. The car ran fine after that(cosmetic damage only), however I know the dealer will say its due to the damage of the impact or the RD Sways.

Please, any constructive critisicm will help! Any and all! HELP!

Once again, I want to say thanks to all the Fanatics that actually do care and leave a reply!

Last edited by mt3ch; 05-30-2002 at 11:23 AM.
mt3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Amir

My Ride: shoes
Check to see if your front strut is tightened at the top of the housing. When I installed my coilovers, I had the same soind coming from my front right. It was because the bolts at the top of the shock tower were not tight enough. We tightened them, and the problem was resolved...
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:32 AM   #3
mt3ch
Addicted to Torque!

I have the Dinan Strut bar on. I will remove it when I get home and see if I can tighten it. Is there anything I should look for under the car when I jack it up???

Thanks,
Justin
Old 05-30-2002, 11:46 AM   #4
JAG

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have a 2000 323i with UUC Sways installed that used to have the exact same problem.

At fist, I thought it was the Sways, so I took it in to an independent shop to have it re-lubed. The mechanic there told me there was a lot of play in the bushing connected to the lower control arms.

He told me to bring it in to the dealer (since I was still under warranty) to have the whole lower control arm assembly replaced. The bushings were connected to the control arms, so this could not be replaced separate from the control arms; the whole assembly had to be replaced.

I thought I was going to get hassled by the dealer, but when I got there, no problems at all.

The lower control arms were replaced. This completely got rid of the clunking/popping noise.

It also got rid of the slight steering wheel vibration I sometimes experienced during high-speed braking!

Maybe this is what your problem is.

HTH!

JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:17 PM   #5
mt3ch
Addicted to Torque!

I tired tighting the top right strut tower, but that didnt help. I dont know if its the control arm, however I guess I will eventually take it to the dealer and try to pass it off as if I had stock sways. They shouldnt say anything I hope. Only thing is that the sways still squeak like crazy so ill try to get those grease up before I take it in so that they dont think thats the problem.

If anyone has any more advice, please let me know.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 05-30-2002, 04:43 PM   #6
jonas

My Ride: 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally posted by JHakimi
I tired tighting the top right strut tower, but that didnt help. I dont know if its the control arm, however I guess I will eventually take it to the dealer and try to pass it off as if I had stock sways. They shouldnt say anything I hope. Only thing is that the sways still squeak like crazy so ill try to get those grease up before I take it in so that they dont think thats the problem.

If anyone has any more advice, please let me know.

Thanks,
Justin
Hey Justin, why don't you put your original sways back on, take to dealer, have them replace the control arms, and then you can put your sways back in, we are talking 2 hours max of labor to you, and you will avoid the hassles at the dealer.
jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 02:45 PM   #7
haohmaroo

My Ride: 330Ci
Any updates?

Hey Justin,

Did you ever find out what was the actual cause of the clunking sound? I think I'm experiencing the same thing right now. But it seems to only happen when i go over speed bumps with someone in the passenger seat.

Thanks!
haohmaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 02:47 PM   #8
DropTopBM
Banned

Location: Im from where the hammers rung, news cameras never come, throw the work in the can and scream "runnn"
My Ride: Hamann 3
Send a message via AIM to DropTopBM
I have that sound coming from my rear drive side suspension... it happens when im going up a incline, like when im going into my garage...

check the older posts there was something posted by manic, and it had info on this topic... hope this helps, peace
DropTopBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:02 PM   #9
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
clunk

You probably need new front control arms and bushings. I finally had both front control arms w/ bushings replaced under warranty after 20k miles worth of bitching about noise and poor handling. Replacement cured all the noise and handling issues.

Ed

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
haohmaroo

My Ride: 330Ci
Hmmm

Thanks for the input!

That's odd, since i only have about 3k miles on my car, and I really doubt that anything's hitting on the bottom, since I haven't lowered my car. I guess I could ask the dealer...
haohmaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:51 PM   #11
Auric

My Ride: Dinan Tres
There is a TSB out for some cars that indicates a clunking noise caused by the top of the spring sticking in some manner I think. I could be off on the mechanics of this, but hte fix is actually to power the offending area so it doesnt stick anymore. Perhaps someone has the bulletin to post adn/or explain it better then me
Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:01 PM   #12
dbrooks

woah... hold on. do some checks first before resorting to taking it to the dealer or putting back your old sways.

while there are reports of control arm bearing failures, i'm betting your problem is the sway bar end links. the bolt holding them may have came loose.

you should be able to check them fairly easily without getting underneath the car by turning the wheel all the way to each side and checking through the wheel well.

rgds,
dbrooks
dbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:49 PM   #13
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
In my experience, clunking when compressing the spring can be any of these things:

control arms (warranty)
sway bushings (more lube)
strut bolts (not tight enough)
spring cap bolt - it could be that the bolt on top of the spring (you can access it by removing that black thingy which you can see through the hole) is not tight enough. I think we had this happen with Shinya's car.

Basically, as the spring compresses, something is moving still, becuase there's now extra space in there. My guess is that it'd be one of the bolts being loose.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:51 PM   #14
mcosse

My Ride: '00 323i - Jet Black
Send a message via Yahoo to mcosse
I agree that you should start with the simplest first, but it seems like the most common cause for what you described is the control arm bushings. Anyone who has owned an A4 knows the sound by heart (especially around the 60K mile mark). But do some simple checks first before you go through the hassle, just to make sure.
mcosse is offline   Reply With Quote