E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
homeryen88

My Ride: 2002 325i sedan
Review: Alcantara Steering Wheel by AutoCarbon (aftermarket)

Review: Alcantara Steering Wheel by AutoCarbon (aftermarket)

Forum Sponsor/Retailer: bimmian.com
Advertised Price: $999 (not including current $250 discount = $749)

The piece of equipment that you most interact with in your car is your steering wheel. It's obviously the most important input device for both the track and the road. Generally speaking, a steering wheel with a surface that's softer and thicker is preferred by performance-oriented drivers. The added softness makes driving more comfortable. The added width delivers the sensation of better grip.

According to its YouTube promo piece (http://www.bimmian.com/youtube.htm?video=62), this made-in-Germany steering wheel is advertised as an effective OEM substitute that is "more beautiful, purposeful, and affordable." The female pitchman heard on that video does an excellent job of lyrically tickling our imagination. After all, the OEM non-//M steering wheel does have a skinny and lightweight feel, so who wouldn't want to at least consider a more performance-oriented alternative? But the reality is that this aftermarket Alcantara Steering Wheel (ASW) falls short of expectations in all of those important aforementioned areas.

Let's talk more in-depth about those three areas: beauty; purposefulness; affordability.

BEAUTY
Aesthetically, it's a "like" or "dislike" flip-of-the-coin. My installer, who owns an E46 as well, is now salivating to get his hands on one. I wasn't quite as enamored. The steering wheel is wrapped in three different kinds of material. Part of it is a carbon fiber design embedded in a clear, epoxy-like resin; part of it is high-quality perforated leather; part of it is alcantara. The carbon fiber is checkered, the perforated leather is dotted, and the alcantara trim is solid. Meanwhile, add in the distinctive //M-style tri-color stitching that encircles the interior of the wheel and (to mine own eyes) the ASW is best-case gawky and worst-case Frankensteinian.

The steering wheel itself also looks heftier-than-necessary. Have you ever noticed how athletes who compete outdoors apply this black line beneath their eyes? It's to help "suck" in the light to minimize their glare. Because of the ASW's black/charcoal motif, the resulting space-sucking optical effect is that the E46 cabin now seems oddly smaller. This wheel would mesh more naturally with a BMW with a larger interior such as a 5-series or an X5.

I certainly do like the look (and feel) of the perforated leather. And the charcoal-colored alcantara does give it a sporty look and feel as well. But the steering wheel should shed itself of the carbon fiber components altogether, which isn't necessary and adds nothing to either the wheel's functionality or beauty. As it is, the design seems a bit too busy. And, if you were to purchase the optional carbon fiber lower trim for $145 (http://www.bimmian.com/CWT/46), the overall mishmash design would (IMHO) appear completely muddled.

PURPOSEFULNESS
The purposefulness is also diminished by, in my opinion, a lack of understanding of how purposeful drivers actually drive. Four peculiarities come to mind after having used this steering wheel over the last month driving through the highways and byways of Washington DC.

1. Turning the wheel and letting it turn back by itself:
When you turn the wheel as far as it will go and then allow the car to straighten itself out, most people allow the steering wheel to just rotate back to its original position as the steering wheel slides underneath their steadied hand and through their curled fingers. Weirdly, the ASWs alcantara grip strips are raised at the 8/9/10 and 2/3/4 o'clock positions. So, when the steering wheel is rotating back after it reaches its lock position, your hand will feel the bump as it glides over the raised alcantara. Additionally, I sensed increased friction and heat when my fingers slid over the alcantara versus the leather on the OEM steering wheel. The increased friction isn't a symptom of this particular ASW but probably of all ASWs in general.

2. Each position of the wheel feels different so there is no feeling of consistency:
The 11, 12, 1 o'clock positions feature alcantara and that carbon fiber/epoxy resin. The 10 and 2 o'clock has all three materials to contend with. The 3 and 9 o'clock position has an alcantara thumb grip (but my thumbs are a little too big to rest comfortably) and leather for the palms to rest upon. The 6 o'clock position features a flattened bottom completely wrapped in alcantara. And the 4, 5, 7, 8 o'clock positions also feature alcantara and carbon fiber. If you're on a straightaway, then none of this will matter and the ASW feels nice and firm. But, if you're weaving in traffic or negotiating a parking lot or slaloming around potholes, this inconsistent feel may create a tactile distraction.

3. Protruding thumb rests would be welcome at the 10 and 2 o'clock position:
We learn in high school Driver's Ed that your hands should be at the 10 and 2 o'clock position whenever possible. The OEM BMW Performance Steering Wheel accommodates dedicated drivers with a thumb rest where it ought to be, but that bit of thoughtfulness has been forgotten here.

4. People with smaller hands take note:
While extra-thick padding increases the girth of the wheel, it becomes possibly unwieldy for those with smaller, daintier hands. The non-//M vehicles come with an OEM steering wheel that measures less than 4" thick. Meanwhile, the OEM steering wheels on //M vehicles measure just over 4" thick. But this ASW that we are reviewing approaches 5" thick.

I'd personally like to see this steering wheel redesigned. The areas of carbon fiber should be removed altogether and replaced with alcantara because you can't "grasp" smooth resin. Additionally, the outer raised alcantara grips should be removed because it makes no sense for a steering wheel to have varying circumferences. This "patchwork" attribute inhibits the AutoCarbon ASW's ability to provide well-defined tactile points that could subtly remind a driver where they're at in the turn-to-lock/lock-to-lock ratio.

AFFORDABILITY
There are certain mods that you'll be fine with when going the aftermarket route as long as, obviously, you can find an ostensibly lower price along with comparable quality. But this aftermarket product is inexplicably pricey. Bimmian retails this for $999. There is currently a $250 discount (as of July 2011) in effect, bringing it down to $749.

So then, why did I pull the trigger on this purchase? I own a 2002 facelift 325i sedan w/ sports package, which has a relatively uncommon steering wheel with the double-spoke lower trim. Only Bimmian markets the type of ASW (for E46 with Round Airbag Without SMG [Wheel Type E/Style 1]) that I was looking for with that double-spoke lower trim option.

Oddly, BMWs sister product - the MINI - offers a nicely-appointed, performance-oriented, premium-leather/alcantara combo, multi-function steering wheel which you can see in the below photo. It's available for their higher-end JCW line and retails for a wallet-friendly $529 at minimotoringgear.com. Why can't BMW (or an aftermarket retailer) come up with an option that is similarly stylish and affordable?

Regardless of which wheel type/style you are contemplating, all of the AutoCarbon steering wheels seem overpriced given its questionable beauty and marginal-value-added functionality. At $500, it's worth considering. At $750, it's a gamble. At $1000, it's a needless luxury item.

By the way, if you are interested in this product but don't necessarily need to find the steering wheel with the double-spoke lower trim, I'd suggest that you first check out another forum sponsor's website, which retails the identical AutoCarbon ASW for $699 (as of July 2011): www.jlevisw.com

THE VANITY FACTOR:
Various threads state that alcantara is difficult to clean and wears out more easily than leather. Whether that's scientifically accurate or not, it has made me extra-sensitive about placing my hands on the wheel. I feel like I need to wash my hands and then dry them thoroughly before I touch the alcantara so as not to irreparably/pre-maturely soil it.

So, that means no more fast-food drive-thrus or drinking/eating in the car unless I have lots of napkins. Wet hands from a rainstorm worry me. Touching my hands against my oily face is a no-no. Holding my girlfriend's lotion-enriched hands and then touching my steering wheel is also cause for concern. And any speck that shows up against the charcoal alcantara annoys me. This could be specks from salt or from calluses or from dust or from pollen. You'll want to keep a small toothbrush or a microfiber rag in your car to occasionally brush these specks off! None of these phobias, obviously, creep up with a leather steering wheel.

THE ARGUMENT FOR ALCANTARA:
Alcantara possesses some unique traits. It has an inherently high Co-efficient of Friction, which translates into a more assured grip (and also contributes to heat from the friction). Relative to leather, the material also has the benefit of "breathability", which means that it doesn't get too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. And, it's supposedly dimensionally stable when wet; therefore, moisture shouldn't compromise its suede-like nature. So, having alcantara on the steering wheel certainly has its merits.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
As far as AutoCarbon's aftermarket ASW is concerned, some may adore its quirky design. Some may relish its asymmetrical feel. Some may even welcome the extra care and attention that this steering wheel will need. But practically no performance-oriented driver will be able to justify the unwarranted price tag (whether it's $999 or $749 or $699), especially when several other performance steering wheels makes for a more driver-friendly consideration. If you are in the market for an upgraded multi-function steering wheel for your E46 sedan and have the necessary coin to do it, here are two other choices that you may want to consider:

1> BMW OEM E46 ZHP All-Alcantara Multifunction Steering Wheel @ $995.00
www.getbmwparts.com

2> BMW (aftermarket) Custom NAPPA Premium Leather Sport Steering Wheel @ $890.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E46-E53-CUSTOM-NAPPA-LEATHER-SPORT-STEERING-WHEEL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3caf022fc7QQitemZ260634193863QQp tZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I love the idea of an alcantara/leather mix (featured on the JCW Mini Cooper), but there is no such option for the BMW. And while these two above options are somewhat pricier than the AutoCarbon product, you will get a steering wheel that is likely more "wholly" substantive rather than pieced together in look and feel.

Ultimately it's not really a question of whether this meatier alcantara/leather/carbon fiber steering wheel transfers to the driver a feeling that is more substantial and sure-footed; comfortable and confident. It certainly does. The drawback is the monstrous asking price for what you get. With all due respect to the fine sponsors that market this product, my recommendation is to steer clear of this particular item. By doing so, you'll save yourself from a head-on collision with regret. I've already taken that hit for you. And, all of the airbags have been deployed. Happy Modding!

pic #1: The AutoCarbon Steering Wheel (with optional carbon fiber lower trim)

pic #2: Picture of ASW taken from this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...steering+wheel

pic #3: My interior with the OE steering wheel

pic #4: My interior with the ASW frontal view

pic #5: My interior with the ASW 3/4 side view

pic #6: The JCW Mini alcantara/leather steering wheel

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Please see my other comprehensive posts:
Interior LED Lighting Options-
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=842380

The DynavinE46 V5-
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=830928

UMNITZA LED R/C/R Tail Lights -
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=843428

UMNITZA M-Tech II Bumper Experience from Start-to-Finish -
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=848926
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Double-Spoke Steering Wheel.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	409223   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlcantarasteeringwheelBimmian.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	409224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior - Backseat Views.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	409225   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlcantaraWheel2.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	409226  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AlcantaraWheel1.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	409227   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlcantarasteeringwheelMini2.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	409228  

Last edited by homeryen88; 07-12-2011 at 02:05 AM.
homeryen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
flexlewis

My Ride: BMW
wow! great review! the steering wheel looks amazing,but $1k is a little on the high side
flexlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
Too much $$$
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
So Lowww

My Ride: E36M
Wayyyyyyyyyyy to much $$$
Got my momo brand new for 80$
Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
superb review, but thats a busy wheel. gotta have an aggressive car to pull that one off.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
SaN NizZLe

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Bryan@Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: E46 330i ZSP
Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
Thanks for sharing.
Bryan@Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
invictus

My Ride: M3 (F80 & E46), S3R
kinda busy looking...

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk, e46 m3 part out
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
aznazasin

My Ride: Gets B!tches
Send a message via AIM to aznazasin
cant wait to get mine...looks nice!!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Lowww View Post
Wayyyyyyyyyyy to much $$$
Got my momo brand new for 80$
thats b/c its a momo...

Looks amazing but a standard m3 wheel gets the job done IMHO.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
that is an ugly steering wheel, damn.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
So Lowww

My Ride: E36M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHK&BAK3 View Post
thats b/c its a momo...

Looks amazing but a standard m3 wheel gets the job done IMHO.
Well it was 250$ but I gotta sweet discount lulz
Momo > Played M3 wheel
Old 08-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Nice wheel, especially for tracking. The off side allows you determine if the wheel is straight. It is expensive - probably worth it for the track.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Mulatto325

My Ride: 325ci convertible
Been looking at this wheel for a while. Thanks for the review. I'm going to purchase this and 8 inch kicker for my ski pass and my interior upgrade are almost complete.
Pretty sure the bimmian wheel and the jlevisw wheel are the same product. They carry a lot of the same stuff. When All is said and done with the lower trim and the exchange you will notice the price is about the same.

My tops down, its upset.
>>>Mulatto325<<< Build thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...087&highlight=

Last edited by Mulatto325; 08-28-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Mulatto325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
PRDesignsTony

My Ride: 02 330ci
ummm wow $1k for a steering wheel? are these freaking people on meth or something? Looks great dont get my wrong but it cost them around $50 to $100 max to make one of those. Seriously this is just ridiculous. Sexy wheel but so not worth paying a grand for, or even $700.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
wayyy too much money, but i want one.

EURO.TECHNIKS

- Status Gruppe Tuning - Broadway Static - Recaro - DTM Fiberwerkz - AutoCouture Motoring -

Instagram: @summers_e46_m3
Twitter: @rcsummers0506
Xbox One: MisterMeisterM3

rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
2000_328CI

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
I think it looks great

| 435 HP 328Ci | Mechanical Work : RRT Racing | Vinyl Work : Designer Wraps | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
There are plenty of people who buy 3000-4000 rims on here. Depends on what you consider value.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
Mulatto325

My Ride: 325ci convertible
Just installed this wheel. Amazing. So much more fun to drive. Might be my favorite mod to date.

My tops down, its upset.
>>>Mulatto325<<< Build thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...087&highlight=
Mulatto325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #20
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Where did you get the carbon fiber trim?
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote