E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Vote: Do you believe in preventative maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is key to good vehicle health 321 83.16%
Preventative maintenance is a waste of money. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 65 16.84%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #261
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibinhvuong View Post
Seems like Mango was putting over 11k to his used car.
jelly?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #262
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I "dig" (is that term back in vogue, or are you a '60s child like me?). I just didn't catch the "DIY" in the poll.

Now that you bring it up, what exactly is scheduled maintenance and how does it differ from preventative maintenance?
That's a great question, and one that deserves being "hashed"out <--see what I did there as well? Lol... 70's child here.

After all I am the idiot, who replaced his perfectly functioning DISA, so I probably shouldn't be the one who answers that.

I am about 700 miles fr hitting 300,000 miles, and I will credit scheduled maintenance, and PM, my DiSA example could be one used as a sort of extreme example of unnecessary PM, but again peace of mind for me, which is priceless.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #263
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm going to be digging in my trunk in a few hours... prepping the seam sealer. Tomorrow I'm aiming to do the job at 9am just a heads up. I'll update you! still gotta find a stepped bit..
OK, I will get someone to cover my morning class, and cruise over, if everything remains on schedule.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #264
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
That's a great question, and one that deserves being "hashed"out <--see what I did there as well? Lol... 70's child here.

After all I am the idiot, who replaced his perfectly functioning DISA, so I probably shouldn't be the one who answers that.

I am about 700 miles fr hitting 300,000 miles, and I will credit scheduled maintenance, and PM, my DiSA example could be one used as a sort of extreme example of unnecessary PM, but again peace of mind for me, which is priceless.

GREAT looking car, and almost 300k miles - WOW! Congratulations and good job!!! I can only hope that mine goes that far. For real - congrats!!
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #265
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb6 View Post
GREAT looking car, and almost 300k miles - WOW! Congratulations and good job!!! I can only hope that mine goes that far. For real - congrats!!
Thanks man, this car was in really bad shape when I picked it up as my second e46, sort of a "fixer upper" project car.

I bought it for 3900, and this was in 08 clean title, had subframe mounting area damage (torn) and 140k on the clock.

So, I didn't put all the miles on it, but I put on more than half of em though.

I do know what its like to own a new BMW, as my very first was in 2004 '04 x3 3.0i 6spd MT, it was
a present to myself for some records i made that paid well.

So suffice to say, I know that I am chasing the dragon, in that I will never get my 13 yo underdog of a 323i to feel like it did when the roundel went on at the factory, but I am having fun as I thrash the hell out of it in the canyons, and continue to slowly rebuild it, and I assure you there are many things left on my to do list.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #266
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
Quote:
Thanks man, this car was in really bad shape when I picked it up as my second e46, sort of a "fixer upper" project car.

I bought it for 3900, and this was in 08 clean title, had subframe mounting area damage (torn) and 140k on the clock.

I do know what its like to own a new BMW, as my very first was in 2004 '04 x3 3.0i 6spd MT, it was

So suffice to say, I know that I am chasing the dragon, in that I will never get my 13 yo underdog of a 323i to feel like it did when the roundel went on at the factory, but I am having fun as I thrash the hell out of it in the canyons, and continue to slowly rebuild it, and I assure you there are many things left on my to do list.

Awesome! Keep up the good fight.
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #267
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:

How did BMW repair your subframe mounting area did they put a whole new floor in or foam? (both?)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #268
golf_234

My Ride: E90
didn't know you had had that car since new mango. no wonder you love it so much haha. i always felt that way about do you guys remember MarcusE46.. that guy's zhp was out of this world.

in my opinion that is probably the most elegant e46 made. might even outdo an M in some regards.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #269
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
How did BMW repair your subframe mounting area did they put a whole new floor in or foam? (both?)
I had a body shop do the repair and they put in new sheet metal.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #270
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
The thing that is overlooked is that you can spend a fortune keeping an old car running. Not hating, to each their own. But sometimes people preach a logic that I think is on the costly side in replacing/keeping everything perfect on an old car.
I mean if you love the car, you love the car. Just saying. On BMWs in particular with maintenance and warranty, let's say you plan on owning the car for 100k miles. i speak on personal experience in that I have had an e46 and this 1er now.

e46 - bought used with 80k miles, $10,000. did absurd amounts of maintenance and upkeep, H&R race suspension, zhp shocks/struts swaybar/control arms, cooling system overhaul, vanos seals, vcg, transmission fluid 2x, sparks, leather, paint, sunroof maintenance, zhp bumper, paint correction, headlight lenses, fuel pump, filter, xenons, misc interior parts, new console, new trays, new seat leather, seriously an endless list and all preventative. had a black 330i sedan with the terracotta interior that seriously at 125k miles was FLAWLESS. That car was VERY expensive to take care of at that mileage properly, as mango shows. I was keeping it on that level. kept a spreadsheet and in the end i spent $26,000 over the course of driving to 150k. so $26,000 for 70k miles, residual value was $7k
don't get me wrong, loved the car, but just stating the numbers.
135 - bought used with 25k miles, $27,000, everything has been free, brakes, maintenance, any issues, with loaners, everything. they treat you like royalty at the dealer and the car has just been infinitely nice to own. feel confident i can drive the car to 125k without any major expense. and a lot more car than the e46 was. I love DIYing and everything, did everything myself on the e46, but having a near brand new car with all of the refinements has been nice. Obviously anything can happen, but my prediction will be $27,000 for 100k miles, residual value probably $12k conservatively

just saying it is marginal. and everyone has their preference. but definitely willing to bet that mango has spent a FORTUNE on that car. maybe you have sentimental attachment to the model, everyone has their reasons. but to preach it as some end all solution and ONLY way of doing things is ridiculous. I am VERY preventative, but i would definitely say in Re: mango, you could have a lot newer car for the money you have spent on that one. and you will almost none of that capital back if you want to drive it into the ground. i guess that is cool but there is a point where you are just hanging onto a thread.
It is always cheaper to maintain an old car than buy a new one though. And unless you are paying cash, now is a particularly poor time to be going into debt for anything. As our government continues to spend out of control, print money, and regulate the piss out of everything, our dollar bill will be worthless in 5 years.

For me, I'll keep my paid for ZHP for the foreseeable future. Sure, I spend about $2500-$3200 annually for maintenance items and what not, but that is still less than a $400 per month car payment.

And when the dollar becomes worthless, I will OWN this car so I don't have to worry about fending off the bank.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #271
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
now is a particularly poor time to be going into debt for anything. As our government continues to spend out of control, print money, and regulate the piss out of everything, our dollar bill will be worthless in 5 years.
I certainly endorse your fiscal conservatism, but disagree with one of your premises. It would great time to borrow for a new expensive car if the dollar will get so inflated that you'll be paying it back with worthless dollars in a few years. And the interest rates are so low now.
M6's for everyone!

That said, I'm in favor of keeping an e46 in great shape with the ultimate goal to be a high mileage vehicle.

Last edited by Stinger9; 02-15-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #272
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post

I don't want to alienate one person I've found who knows how to get an E46 to the 300k milepost (I'm going to need some help), but I do want some quality "hash" on this topic.
You guys

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

Last edited by tock172; 02-15-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360908941
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #273
golf_234

My Ride: E90
Quote:
It is always cheaper to maintain an old car than buy a new one though. And unless you are paying cash, now is a particularly poor time to be going into debt for anything. As our government continues to spend out of control, print money, and regulate the piss out of everything, our dollar bill will be worthless in 5 years.

For me, I'll keep my paid for ZHP for the foreseeable future. Sure, I spend about $2500-$3200 annually for maintenance items and what not, but that is still less than a $400 per month car payment.

And when the dollar becomes worthless, I will OWN this car so I don't have to worry about fending off the bank.

wrong. you are drassstically oversimplifying the equation. way too many variables. first of all, a loan can be a good thing; mine is at 2.9 and i have the cash to pay it off but i have it in fidelity mutual funds instead, made 14.5% last year. "dealing with the bank" could be me heading into the credit union with cash tomorrow to grab my title. but i have zero incentive to. new bmws require NO maintenance cost +warranty. that payment is toward a principle on something which has a value, granted it is decreasing, but you will get a return on SOME portion of it, depending on the time, length of ownership, goals, personal factors, etc. got my car at 22k miles so i dodged the largest depreciation and am still under warranty and maint. the money you put into maintenance you will see MAXIMUM 5% back on i would guess, if that even.. So, not saying you are always wrong. but there are for SURE times that is incorrect. too many variables. i have literally made money off this car when you break it down in terms of comparing it to my e46 which i paid in cash and kept up on maintenance on. A lot of people don't really get the concept. tie up about the same or even less liquid on a down payment, rather than owning cash, no maintenance, liquid backed, high yield bonds, fidelity contrafund, real estate, hell, anything... there is no always here. the new car requires no maintenance, and costs about the same upfront if you take a loan out. i would list car maintenance as one of the biggest throwaways you can possibly get into, unless it is out of like hobby. get a bmw at 20k miles and you are at the sweet spot imo, or very close to it. a major contingency is that you should have good credit , be liquid backed, and have steady income, of course.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 02-15-2013 at 02:40 AM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #274
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
lol, srs thread is srs.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #275
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
e46 - bought used with 80k miles, $10,000. did absurd amounts of maintenance and upkeep, H&R race suspension, zhp shocks/struts swaybar/control arms, cooling system overhaul, vanos seals, vcg, transmission fluid 2x, sparks, leather, paint, sunroof maintenance, zhp bumper, paint correction, headlight lenses, fuel pump, filter, seriously an endless list and all preventative. That car was VERY expensive to take care of at that mileage properly, as mango shows. I was keeping it on that level or higher honestly. kept a spreadsheet and in the end i spent $26,000 over the course of driving to 150k. so $26,000 for 70k miles, residual value was $7k.
"That car was VERY expensive to take care of at that mileage properly". Are you seriously suggesting that, in your mind, what you have written there is ESSENTIAL maintenance for an 80K E46? Either you are off your head or someone saw you coming a mile off and suckered you big time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cartoon.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	490743  

Last edited by RayPooley; 02-15-2013 at 10:01 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #276
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
wrong. you are drassstically oversimplifying the equation. way too many variables. first of all, a loan can be a good thing; mine is at 2.9 and i have the cash to pay it off but i have it in fidelity mutual funds instead, made 14.5% last year. "dealing with the bank" could be me heading into the credit union with cash tomorrow to grab my title. but i have zero incentive to. new bmws require NO maintenance cost +warranty. that payment is toward a principle on something which has a value, granted it is decreasing, but you will get a return on SOME portion of it, depending on the time, length of ownership, goals, personal factors, etc. got my car at 22k miles so i dodged the largest depreciation and am still under warranty and maint. the money you put into maintenance you will see MAXIMUM 5% back on i would guess, if that even.. So, not saying you are always wrong. but there are for SURE times that is incorrect. too many variables. i have literally made money off this car when you break it down in terms of comparing it to my e46 which i paid in cash and kept up on maintenance on. A lot of people don't really get the concept. tie up about the same or even less liquid on a down payment, rather than owning cash, no maintenance, liquid backed, high yield bonds, fidelity contrafund, real estate, hell, anything... there is no always here. the new car requires no maintenance, and costs about the same upfront if you take a loan out. i would list car maintenance as one of the biggest throwaways you can possibly get into, unless it is out of like hobby. get a bmw at 20k miles and you are at the sweet spot imo, or very close to it. a major contingency is that you should have good credit , be liquid backed, and have steady income, of course.
Of course when you stroll into the bank to pay off your loan with a worthless dollar, you might find it difficult. And a car is a bad investment anyway you slice it. It LOSES value everyday. Most if not all of the more experienced (not book knowledge, but people who have put things into practice) money manager experts will tell you a paid for vehicle is a major factor in the path to financial freedom.

I don't expect to see ANYTHING back on my maintenance items. I look at it in a simple way, a car is an EXPENSE. I don't expect to get money back on it, no matter if I pay $400 a month for a new vehicle or $400 in maintenance, it is still an EXPENSE.

No point in arguing, we just have different philosophies on cars. When I was a younger man, I wanted a new car all the time. Nothing wrong with that at all. As a man with a 4 kids, a wife, one kid in college, and one income, I don't have that luxury.

But I still get to drive one of the best E46's ever made and it still drives better than the day it was made (cause I made "upgrades") and I replace things BEFORE they break which was the whole point of this thread anyways.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #277
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:

No point in arguing, we just have different philosophies on cars.
Love people who say no point to argue after they just argued their side!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #278
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Financial situation differently for each individual, hence whatever point serves the best interest for them is the best choice.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #279
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
"That car was VERY expensive to take care of at that mileage properly". Are you seriously suggesting that, in your mind, what you have written there is ESSENTIAL maintenance for an 80K E46? Either you are off your head or someone saw you coming a mile off and suckered you big time.
Wow Ray I actually acgree with you here. How the **** did he spend $26,000 on an E46? That's just not possible. $2,600 maybe. It has to be a typo.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #280
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Of course when you stroll into the bank to pay off your loan with a worthless dollar, you might find it difficult. And a car is a bad investment anyway you slice it. It LOSES value everyday. Most if not all of the more experienced (not book knowledge, but people who have put things into practice) money manager experts will tell you a paid for vehicle is a major factor in the path to financial freedom.

I don't expect to see ANYTHING back on my maintenance items. I look at it in a simple way, a car is an EXPENSE. I don't expect to get money back on it, no matter if I pay $400 a month for a new vehicle or $400 in maintenance, it is still an EXPENSE.

No point in arguing, we just have different philosophies on cars. When I was a younger man, I wanted a new car all the time. Nothing wrong with that at all. As a man with a 4 kids, a wife, one kid in college, and one income, I don't have that luxury.

But I still get to drive one of the best E46's ever made and it still drives better than the day it was made (cause I made "upgrades") and I replace things BEFORE they break which was the whole point of this thread anyways.
Your point on the value of the dollar going down is irrelevant to loans. At a fixed rate, you will owe the same number of dollars no matter what. Loans don't get adjusted for inflation. That is actually part of the risk for the lender.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote