E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Vote: Do you believe in preventative maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is key to good vehicle health 319 83.07%
Preventative maintenance is a waste of money. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 65 16.93%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #101
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
there are certain things i am preventative with... but i don't go overboard

122k with no issues whatsoever
cough cough, water pump, fuel filter, power steering fluid, leaky oil filter housing gasket, all going out soon..
Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #102
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
cough cough, water pump, fuel filter, power steering fluid, leaky oil filter housing gasket, all going out soon..
I have 122k too. When will all these go ? I will verify if you are correct.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #103
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Replacing parts before they fail so you don't get stranded. It's as simple as that. I'd be willing to bet that more often than not, the people with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality live in huts out on prairies, listen to cassette tapes, and watch re-runs of MASH.

At the end of the day, those cars are more likely to break down. A lot more likely.
No, this is not correct. If people do maintenace for no reason they'd end up with extra parts that they can't put back in, just like you did.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #104
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Ok, I kind of understand both sides of this argument but I also come from the background of a longtime BMW owner and know what to look for.

Mango, I agree with you that preventative maint is important, I have recently changed my spark plugs, intake boots & vacuum hose for the brake booster. I will soon be doing underdrive pulleys and replacing my belt as well as already having the Beisan kit in my garage, just haven't had time for it yet.

GoingNuts, I also understand what you mean by not doing work that doesn't need to be done but there have been responses w/regards to the ET/cooling system that are important to realize (it fails suddenly if you are not regularly checking your car for signs of problems). I pop my hood every day when I get home and just give it a once over to make sure looks funky. When I eventually start to notice an issue starting/get some more miles on the clock I will work on my cooling system but I still have time for that job.

From now on just vote people and stop fighting like children. Older/experienced members, give the noobs a little slack - we all were in there shoes once, we just gotta teach them the right way to take care of their car.

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #105
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
No, this is not correct. If people do maintenace for no reason they'd end up with extra parts that they can't put back in, just like you did.
Be quiet, nuts. Go sip your tea, eat your scones, and take your meds now!

BTW, why did you paint your garage pink?! Did your wife make you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gn.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	420646  

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #106
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Ok, I kind of understand both sides of this argument but I also come from the background of a longtime BMW owner and know what to look for.

Mango, I agree with you that preventative maint is important, I have recently changed my spark plugs, intake boots & vacuum hose for the brake booster. I will soon be doing underdrive pulleys and replacing my belt as well as already having the Beisan kit in my garage, just haven't had time for it yet.

GoingNuts, I also understand what you mean by not doing work that doesn't need to be done but there have been responses w/regards to the ET/cooling system that are important to realize (it fails suddenly if you are not regularly checking your car for signs of problems). I pop my hood every day when I get home and just give it a once over to make sure looks funky. When I eventually start to notice an issue starting/get some more miles on the clock I will work on my cooling system but I still have time for that job.

From now on just vote people and stop fighting like children. Older/experienced members, give the noobs a little slack - we all were in there shoes once, we just gotta teach them the right way to take care of their car.

Car=$10-15k.

Cooling system=additional $500.

Peace of mind=priceless

Why this is even up for discussion is beyond me.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #107
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
I have 122k too. When will all these go ? I will verify if you are correct.
I've verified that your home has pink garages.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #108
Hermes

Quote:
Car=$10-15k.

Peace of mind=priceless

First of all I bought mine years ago so it was $25k for a 30k 1 owner car in perfect shape but dude, stop hating on noobs to beemers and just teach them. I was like you once and it's seriously not worth the effort to get yourself worked up over it. If someone wants to "not" drive their car cause it broke down on the side of the road that's their own fault. You, me and the majority of others it seems are on the prevent stuff from happening side. Just be a good member and don't trip on the noobs

Respect Your Elders
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #109
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
First of all I bought mine years ago so it was $25k for a 30k 1 owner car in perfect shape but dude, stop hating on noobs to beemers and just teach them. I was like you once and it's seriously not worth the effort to get yourself worked up over it. If someone wants to "not" drive their car cause it broke down on the side of the road that's their own fault. You, me and the majority of others it seems are on the prevent stuff from happening side. Just be a good member and don't trip on the noobs
lol i'm not "trippin'" in the least bit. this isn't meant to be a big d*ck contest, so I don't see naming the purchase price of your car. Just teach them? Apparently, you're new to this forum so you have no idea how many times I've offered clear, concise advice to people with questions, concerns, or problems.

I'm also on bf.c, bimmerfest, m3f, e90post, r3v, e36tech, socale36 and tons others offering similar advice to noobs. Then angry noobs have to chime in and say DONT LISTEN 2 HIM! NO NEED TO CHANGE PARTS! LET CAR DIE!

It's a never ending cycle. But it can be fun

At the end of the day, if I've helped someone (which I often do as many others do as well) then its all worth it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #110
Hermes

Quote:
lol i'm not "trippin'" in the least bit. this isn't meant to be a big d*ck contest, so I don't see naming the purchase price of your car. Just teach them? Apparently, you're new to this forum so you have no idea how many times I've offered clear, concise advice to people with questions, concerns, or problems.

I'm also on bf.c, bimmerfest, m3f, e90post, r3v, e36tech, socale36 and tons others offering similar advice to noobs. Then angry noobs have to chime in and say DONT LISTEN 2 HIM! NO NEED TO CHANGE PARTS! LET CAR DIE!

It's a never ending cycle. But it can be fun

At the end of the day, if I've helped someone (which I often do as many others do as well) then its all worth it.
Yes I'm new to the forum but I've been a lurker for a long time. More importantly I'm a very long term BMW owner, my first car ever was an Alpinwiess E32.

Like I said earlier, I'm not questioning what you've done here or on any other forum, I'm just saying this is not worth your time and stress to deal with noobs. I've owned many beemers and my e24 euro spec 635CSi was a PITA but I loved it. Please don't question my "big d**k" comment (as you called it) of what I paid for my car, it was just a reply to the fact you named a price range. Some of us have paid more than the range you claimed. Hell, you can buy an E46 for like $5k now so it's not even a special car anymore, that's why this forum is starting to have members like [insert the name that you want here].

Honestly I'm just trying to help others out just like you. Noobs coming from JDM style cars don't understand what kind of responsibility they got themselves in by buying a quality built machine. you can run a Honda for 100k before there are any real issues, our cars have issues since they're fine tuned from the factory. If they don't want our help then it's their problem. I've been doing this for a long time and I'm just trying to pass off my experience to others. I know you are too so just ignore posts when it gets stupid. I've already said all I have to in this thread so I'm out.

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 10-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #111
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
We came up to the mountain home yesterday. Brought 3 of the vehicles. Not a speck of trouble, thanks to preventative maintenance.

Well, almost not a speck of trouble. Here is the house and the cars, and the last couple are of our visitor as we were leaving. Got to build a trash bin that will keep him out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bimmer 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	420807   Click image for larger version

Name:	house.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	420808   Click image for larger version

Name:	bear4.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	420809   Click image for larger version

Name:	bear6.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	420810  

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #112
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Never mind helping someone else. You can't even help yourself with parts you took off the car you can't put back in. Anyone dumb enough to go by anything you say is in for disaster.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #113
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Never mind helping someone else. You can't even help yourself with parts you took off the car you can't put back in. Anyone dumb enough to go by anything you say is in for disaster.
Oh snap.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #114
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
This thread was bound to go south. E46 and Mangoes don't mix well

Preventative maintenance is a part of car ownership, period. Some people go overboard.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #115
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Some people go overboard.
If mango goes overboard, there's no need to throw him a life jacket. All fruits float.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #116
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #117
restore

My Ride: 2002 325i ZPP/ZSP
For those who got an indy/stealership to do the entire cooling overhaul, how much did you spend in total (parts+labor)?

restore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #118
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
I believe in preventative maintenance because there's nothing worse than being stuck by the side of the road. I take it to the dealer, but I keep it maintained on the "old school" maintenance schedule. After 5 years and 40,000 miles, I had the control arm bushings replaced. My belts were starting to crack, so I had those replaced. I'm not sure whether you'd consider that preventative maintenance or repair, but I'd rather replace things before they break. Some people feel ripped off by the dealer, but I find their prices to be reasonable. My dealer (Tischer BMW) does run getBMWParts.com, so perhaps they operate differently than other BMW dealers? I don't feel like I've ever been oversold on maintenance. In fact, I'm probably the pushy one. For example, if I'm in for an oil change and they tell me that my brakes will last another 1,500 miles, I'll tell them to change my brakes because I don't want to come back. It might be a little wasteful, but I'm not a gear head and it's much more convenient to have everything serviced at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
A lack of preventative maintenance simply means that sooner or later you will have to fix something because it is broken.

It does require some discipline, and I keep forgetting that I'm preaching to a bunch of teenagers. Good luck on that..............
Now that these cars have depreciated to a level where they're affordable to a larger community of people, a noticeable dichotomy has appeared on this forum. I've always thought of BMW as a premium marque and therefore, the primary demographic as having an ample supply of disposable income.

Then I see responses like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
isn't it about time for a old man to move on to a car that's not affordable by teenagers?
Why should anyone "move on" to another car because it has depreciated in value? There's a reason that you own an E46 BMW and it's probably the same reason that I still own mine. I can afford to buy a new one, but I don't want to. I am happy to own a classically good looking car that is reliable, comfortable, and quite fun to drive.
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #119
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Car=$10-15k.

Peace of mind=priceless

The most intelligent post on this whole thread!
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #120
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Thank you =) Lets let our barnyard buddies have a look at this discussion!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS