E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Vote: Do you believe in preventative maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is key to good vehicle health 319 83.07%
Preventative maintenance is a waste of money. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 65 16.93%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #121
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
If anyone is a member of these forums and owns an E46 then they will vote for preventative maintenance. I refuse to believe that anyone could be here for more than a month and not realise the secret to these cars is preventative maintenance?!
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #122
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
If anyone is a member of these forums and owns an E46 then they will vote for preventative maintenance. I refuse to believe that anyone could be here for more than a month and not realise the secret to these cars is preventative maintenance?!
You should believe so many have more money than sense and wait until it breaks. Are you surprised?
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #123
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
You have not met GoingNuts yet, have you? Look him up. He probably has a post on this thread, even. He usually comes in and says something about the fact that we are doing preventative maintenance is the root cause of why we have our problems. Of course he drives very short trips, because he mentioned a "quite long" trip of 90 miles, and it is much, much cooler in England, where he lives. So, he claims to have over 120k or so miles, with no problems.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #124
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
You have not met GoingNuts yet, have you? Look him up. He probably has a post on this thread, even. He usually comes in and says something about the fact that we are doing preventative maintenance is the root cause of why we have our problems. Of course he drives very short trips, because he mentioned a "quite long" trip of 90 miles, and it is much, much cooler in England, where he lives. So, he claims to have over 120k or so miles, with no problems.
lol yes and what he doesn't tell you is that although he has 120k miles, he bought his car with like 112k miles on it. HAHAHA. By the way, anybody knows where he went? he hasnt posted this year!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #125
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Preventive maintenance is the key to keeping any machine running well. E46s are no exception, the preventive maintenance just usually costs more than other cars. You have to pay to play.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #126
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Amen, brotha. With all the bashing on PM, just thought I'd bump this once for encouragement.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #127
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

I notice we have a LOT of new members here that may not understand the importance of preventative maintenance. I want to bump this so you know WHERE you stand if you are against it. In other words, if you are AGAINST it, you are in the minority and for good reason. consider maintaining your car so we have nice and healthy E46s in the future. You don't have to change your mind, but I want to at least plant the idea in your head.

Click on the poll result numbers and it will show you who voted on what.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #128
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
I am all for preventative maintenance. Not to sure why people would be against it. Its normally cheaper and less of a head ache to be able to replace things when you have money then be hit by unexpected repair bills...just my thoughts.

Last edited by JQuick5156; 01-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.
JQuick5156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #129
E46@46

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
Advocate for PM for sure. Bought my car a year a ago with 145k on the clock. Although it ran fine and gave no codes, it didn't realize how much better it ran after the cooling system overhaul and other bits such as cleaning MAF, ICV, replace intake boots and replacing DISA all as a PM. Now it runs sooo much smoother, more power and better MPG.
The most important thing I learned here was how to use the OBC to check the actual coolant temp. Mine was running high but not enough to make the temp needle move. I had assumed all was OK before, but I was really teetering on the edge of an overheat. Dodged a bullet with the Cooling overhaul as a PM. Thanks to the Mango cooling guide for that...
E46@46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #130
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Its like this ....

Bicycle chain. No point replacing one worn link. It will make no difference. Replace the whole chain.

..... however .....

Christmas tree fairy lights. You don't replace the whole set because one bulb goes out. You just replace the busted bulb.

Its horses for courses. Apply a little common sense. Buy a new car every 6 months. The ultimate PM. Still wont guarantee trouble free motoring by all accounts. Unfortunately.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #131
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Funny how these threads come back to life. For the first 36,000 miles, I was totally in favor of maintenance, as BMW paid for it. For the next 60,000 miles, I did virtually no maintenance, preventative or otherwise (excepting oil changes every 7,500 miles), as I didn't feel it was necessary/didn't want to spend the doe and NOTHING ever broke! But with my alternator dying on me last year and my fuel pump having multiple soft failures since even before that, I've become a convert and will replace the pump and all cooling system components when spring arrives. Also, check wings on the fold-down top and repair or strengthen, as necessary. Until then, it sits comfortably in the garage.

It's only been in the garage now for about a week and already I miss it like crazy!
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #132
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Ounce of prevention vs pound of cure.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #133
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
If it aint broke don't fix it. IMO everyone needs to replace their plumbing in their house.. then buy a new roof every year just in case a hail storm comes... hell you might want to build a bomb shelter, store food and prepare for the end of the world too. While your at it secure some virgins to repopulate the planet. Why stop there... this is a good. MOAR Anyone wanna buy some parts for when yours are going to break??? PM ME!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #134
littlegti

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Send a message via Skype™ to littlegti
Before I bought my E46, I was definitely in the "if it ain't broke" group, but the cars I drove were cheap. I probably saved money driving them into the ground because picking my next cheap car was less than the cost of the maintenance to fix all the potential and real issues. My wife drives a 1998 Chevy Venture that has so many issue and any one of them would cost more than the value of the vehicle to fix.

Owning my E46 is completely different. I didn't buy it to get from A to B. I acquired it to drive places. It's all about the drive and I want it to be running the best that it can be. I purchased it at ~95K with only the basic maintenance from BMW done by previous owner under warrantee. At this age lots of things are starting to wear out. A lot of this is because BMW designed things to last the warrantee period, and you can't really blame them for that. It's just business, nothing personal.

Now I'm still a cheap bastard at heart so here is what I do to make preventative maintenance work for me.

1. I have a budget of $400 every quarter for the car. I don't always use it but its in the budget to remove any barriers. If I can't afford this I'll consider selling the car because driving it with known problems would defeat it's main purpose (making me smile), rendering it useless.

2. I try and purchase quality parts but at the best price possible. This is easy for me because ordering parts from the US saves me as much as 75% off the same parts here in Canada.

3. I do all the work myself for a few reasons.
a) I don't pay myself so it costs less for the repair.
b) when I do something new it forces me to learn something (usually from this forum) which makes me feel good and increases the value of my E46 to me.
c) when I do something a second time it reminds me of what I learned which makes me feel good and increases the value of my E46 to me.

4. I always work on preventative items where I suspect there might be a problem. The only thing I've done where there has not been a noticeable improvement is replacing the O2 sensor which I'd hoped would improve fuel economy a bit. It did stop the occasional engine codes but I prefer improvements that are more meaningful. I replaced my fuel filter with no real signs that anything was wrong and I could not believe the improvement in smoothness starting out and driving at low speeds. Makes me smile every time I go for a drive.

5. I try and weigh the cost of the fix against the cost of a catastrophic failure of the parts I'm replacing. If there is no advantage in replacing the part early then I'll let it fail. Case in point was the final stage resistor. This part appears to fail quite frequently but it was not on my preventative maintenance list because I can survive a failure. That said mine failed on the hottest day of the year last summer and I had to drive for a day with no A/C and no windows (regulators broke at the same time and again it did not make my list). Very uncomfortable but I survived without any additional costs.

6. I absolutely replace very cheap parts that could result in very expensive repairs. First thing I did after purchasing the car was replace the belts and pulleys.

7. I always read through as many threads as possible on each item looking at when and how often other people are replacing failed parts. We all learn from our failures but it's even better to learn from other peoples failures.

8. Whenever possible, preventative maintenance should start with simply inspecting things to ensure things are OK. If nothing is wrong, and there is little advantage to replacing a part, just clean it and put it back. For example I inspected my intake boot fully expecting it to be full of holes but it was fine. I still consider that preventative maintenance even though I just put the existing one back. It's still on my PM list to check again later, especially if I see signs of a vacuum leak.

Thanks to the OP and other posters for this thread. I've very much enjoyed all the work I've done on my E46 and my list of preventative maintenance items is getting smaller and smaller each year.
littlegti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #135
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I am cuz preventative maintenance cost so much money. I think over the years, I have dumped over more money than what the color is worth now

However, the pro is that my car feels and runs like it is brand new

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #136
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
PM is a really straight forward concept. The military uses it all the time in our equipment that my self and other maintain. Every mission is a 0 fail mission because of the level of preventative maintenance that is done to each and every vehicle. I take those same lessons and drop it right over into my car. If its broken, fix it. If its about to break, fix it. If you think it may break but still works, fix it anyway. All my BMW's run flawlessly because of this maintenance regimen.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #137
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
PM is a really straight forward concept. The military uses it all the time in our equipment that my self and other maintain. Every mission is a 0 fail mission because of the level of preventative maintenance that is done to each and every vehicle. I take those same lessons and drop it right over into my car. If its broken, fix it. If its about to break, fix it. If you think it may break but still works, fix it anyway. All my BMW's run flawlessly because of this maintenance regimen.
If I could spend someone else's money the way the military does I would replace my car every 6 months.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #138
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
If I could spend someone else's money the way the military does I would replace my car every 6 months.
If the performance of your equipment meant people's lives, PM would be important to you, too
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #139
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
I'm all for preventative maintenance. The last thing I need is my car stranding me and not being able to call somebody or have to wait for a tow. I'd rather get it done and then my worries can be avoided.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #140
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
182xxx kms with original cooling system and fuel pump. The amount I have driven has proved that a tow would be cheaper then replacing it on "prescribed" schedules professed on here. You can hate me.

I have changed belts, pullies, plugs, fuel filter, clean my K&N (hate me for that too), intake boots (ripped), change my oil and filter every 10-15000 kms, change my transmission differential brake and coolant fluids every 50000 kms, regularly turkey baste my p/s fluid.

A lot of what is professed on here is overkill, especially the coolant system overhaul approach. I have yet to be stranded, and have saved big bucks.

Last edited by 2003 325i; 01-13-2013 at 10:55 AM.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote