E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Routing RCAs from HU

So I'm looking for some opinions on what the best course of action is. Long story short, I installed an amp to power my front componenets, after installing an amp for my subs in the trunk monthes ago. Everything powered up perfect, but had an annoying whine that is pretty famous I found out. I ran my RCAs along the right side, and didn't realize until doing some reasearch that the power cable running to the hood runs along that side. So I'm going to attempt to take care of this problem this coming weekend, and wanted to ask what's the better route to run the cords, driver side or center of the car?

Most recommend driver side, but I don't really want to go through the process of removing the dead pedal if I can avoid it, and from what I remember reading the center console seems to be easy to remover. I run my RCAs and lead cord through the hole in the center of the trunk liner where the ski pass was before I knocked it out.

Thank you for any adice and personal experience.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
hoang031

My Ride: 01 325i
I routed my wires from the HU through the middle. Here's how I did it:

1. remove the center console
2. remove the backseat
3. cut into the carpet inside the center console (so there's no visual marks when you put it back in)
4. Using something long, hard, sharp, start at the back carpet in the backseat and start taking out styrofoam from under the carpet in the island of the backseat.
5. Take a coathanger and fish from the backseat to the hole on the inside of the center console and fish it thru.
6. Lead the wires through the ski hole

should only take you an hour from start to finish.
hoang031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
sackz23

My Ride: 323i
I did the same thing after having the exact same problem. Running through the middle finally gave me the whine free sound I've always wanted!
sackz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

So the hump behind the center colsole is styrofoam? Had no idea, and I have to dig some out to make room for the RCAs? Sounds like a pain...but worth it in the end.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
Are your amps using the same ground, by chance?
Running RCA's would be a good idea, but if your amps are both using the same ground you could first try changing that. This is what took care of the alternator noise for me.
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
sackz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnersInOz View Post
Are your amps using the same ground, by chance?
Running RCA's would be a good idea, but if your amps are both using the same ground you could first try changing that. This is what took care of the alternator noise for me.
Very true. I did everything that was recommended (different ground points, not having the amps touch the chassis, etc.) and it wasnt until I ran the RCA's through the middle that the alt whine was gone for good.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackz23 View Post
Very true. I did everything that was recommended (different ground points, not having the amps touch the chassis, etc.) and it wasnt until I ran the RCA's through the middle that the alt whine was gone for good.
I tried everything the other day but running the cords differently. Different grounds, same grounds, power cords run outside the car, anything but the RCAs, I had myself convinced this wasn't it...sadly i forgot about the big power cable running to the hood!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
hoang031

My Ride: 01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
I tried everything the other day but running the cords differently. Different grounds, same grounds, power cords run outside the car, anything but the RCAs, I had myself convinced this wasn't it...sadly i forgot about the big power cable running to the hood!
Why are you running a power cable to the hood? The battery is located in the back.
hoang031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoang031 View Post
Why are you running a power cable to the hood? The battery is located in the back.
I'm not, there's a power cord that runs to the hood from the battery, I believe for jumping the car if need be.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
sackz23

That is correct. He was running wire on the passenger side and getting noise.