E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Convert any AR to essentially full auto with Slide-Fire Stock

Does anyone have experience or opinions on this new product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS
Right Hand Stock $349

Slide Fire Solutions' ground breaking "Slide Stock" technology and ergonomic design provide the ability to Slide Fire safely, offering a new element of entertainment for recreational shooters everywhere!

Applying principles that have been used for over 40 years to bump fire, the SSAR-15's radical design enables the shooter to fire and AR-15 as quickly as desired without compromising their own safety or the safety of others around them. Unlike traditional bump firing. The SSAR-15 allows the shooter to properly hold their firearm and maintain complete control at all times. In addition, as a result of the forward movement required to discharge each round, the shooter naturally corrects their point-of-aim for each shot and prevents recoil from pushing the firearm's muzzle upward in an unsafe direction.

In principal the SSAR-15 functions similar to the Gatlin system. When operating a Gatlin system the shooter operates a crank in a circular motion to activate the firing mechanism. Every 1/5 rotation of the crank will discharge a round. The shooter will then continue forward another 1/5 of a rotation to fire the next round, and so on. With the SSAR-15 the shooter activates the firing mechanism by moving the upper assembly forward to discharge a round. To discharge the next round the operator must again move the upper assembly forward. As with the Gatlin system, an AR-15 equipped with the SSAR-15 will never fire automatically.

MADE IN THE USA

Right Hand Configuration
Constructed of Premium Reinforced High Strength Polymer
Compatible with Mil-Spec and Commercial Buffer Tubes
Winter Trigger Guards and some Sling Plates may not be compatible.

INCLUDES: SSAR-15, Interface Block, Hex Key, Instructions and BATFE Approval Letter.
I'm enticed ,
-Chris
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
This is one of those things I think is gonna be a matter of time before the ATF comes in an crushes. Kinda gimmicky too.
Rush4theYehO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
I dont want to be the test dummy for the legality of this! did you look at the design, the whole upper seems to move instead of the piston. interesting concept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
We've already had two threads about this, FYI. It's basically by the bump-fire principle, which the BATFE has not taken a friendly stance against. If the current administration does not change in 2012, I can see these things getting banned. The BATFE has allowed these for now, but they are a fickle mother.
That being said, it's seen some popularity around the shooting world as a novelty item. Most gun ranges do not allow them. Also, they tend to go up for sale very quickly on the major forums like TheHighRoad and Arfcom. Seems like people buy them and get bored with them really quickly.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
We've already had two threads about this, FYI. It's basically by the bump-fire principle, which the BATFE has not taken a friendly stance against. If the current administration does not change in 2012, I can see these things getting banned. The BATFE has allowed these for now, but they are a fickle mother.
That being said, it's seen some popularity around the shooting world as a novelty item. Most gun ranges do not allow them. Also, they tend to go up for sale very quickly on the major forums like TheHighRoad and Arfcom. Seems like people buy them and get bored with them really quickly.
I see.

So, pardon my ignorance, but if purchased now (while they are not a banned item, non-black-market good) you can't be vilified for possessing one if/when they are no longer approved for sale- right?

Just curious,
-Chris
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Several years ago, a company owned by Bill Akins came out with a similar device called the "Akins Accelerator" for the Ruger 10/22 platform. The concept was similar to the SSAR-15, but there were some notable differences. Atkins was selling them like hotwings for around $1000 a pop. The ATF initially reviewed it and said it was legal since the rifles were inherently still semi-auto, as you were discharging only one round per trigger pull. After a second look a year or two later, the ATF decided that the part went against the "intent" of the NFA guidelines and declared the device to be illegal by ATF rulling 2006-02. Everyone that had one had to remove the mainspring from the device and surrender it to the ATF, or else some other way discard the stock in an appropriate manner to avoid prosecution for possessing a post-1986 automatic firearm. If I remember correctly, Akins was forced to buy many of the stocks back from the customers in order to avoid lawsuits. They subsequently dissolved into obscurity.
If you look at the .gif and watch the YouTube video below, you will see that the Akins Accelerator works off of a similar principle to what the SSAR-15 does.

So to answer your question, given past practice, I highly doubt the BATFE would allow people to keep the SSAR-15 if it were outlawed. The ATF didn't really outlaw the production of the item, they moreso outlawed the possession and usage by the public. New production automatic weapons can still be owned by .le/.mil/.gov agencies.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-08-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote