E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Are you a super gun owner??

I AM!!

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...m_source=atlfb

Quote:
There are hundreds of millions of guns in the United States—enough, according to several estimates, for every American civilian adult to own more than one.

But actual gun ownership is far more lopsided than that.

A sweeping new survey by researchers at Harvard University and Northeastern University finds that roughly half of the nearly 300 million firearms in the United States are concentrated in the hands of a tiny sliver of the U.S. population: Just 3 percent of American adults own some 130 million guns, according to The Trace and Guardian US, two news organizations that first reported on the survey. (The full survey has not yet been released; Guardian US and The Trace reported plans to publish a series of stories about the findings throughout the week.)

This portrait of gun ownership represents the equivalent of about 17 guns per person among a group of “super-owners,” the 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns each.

Super-owners are emerging at a time when the number of guns in the country is rising—the nation’s stock of firearms has swelled by some 70 million guns since 1994 —while the percentage of gun owners in America has dipped. In other words, there are now more guns to go around in a shrinking population of gun owners. (About one-quarter of Americans say they own a gun, though more than one-third of Americans report living in a house where there is a firearm.)

Super owners are distinct from the larger group of gun owners in America in several ways. For one thing, they’re more likely to be men than women—even at a time when gun ownership among women is on the rise. (One area of overlap: Both women and super-owners were more likely than overall gun owners to say they owned a gun for protection.)

The new study, which is based on a 2015 survey of some 4,000 people, found super-owners were also less likely to be black or Hispanic compared with the rest of gun owners. From Guardian US:

Some super-owners are dedicated collectors with special rooms to display their assortment of historic firearms. Others are firearms instructors, gunsmiths, or competitive shooters, who need a variety of firearms in the course of work or competition. Some gun owners have a survivalist streak, and believe in storing up weapons, as well as food and water, in case of a disaster scenario. Others simply picked up a handgun here, a shotgun or hunting rifle there, and somehow ended up with dozens.
One man compared gun collecting to buying several pairs of shoes. “If you going hiking,” Philip van Cleave told Beckett, “you don’t want to use that one pair of high heels.”

Data on gun ownership in the United States remains fraught, largely because of the political and cultural intensity around the topic. There’s no official tally of how many guns—or gun owners—there are in the U.S., though many surveys and organizations have produced estimates. Tracking gun deaths is arguably even more complicated.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the government entity that studies other public health issues, virtually ignores gun violence, owing to legislation widely interpreted as preventing such research,” wrote Kate Masters for The Trace. As Beckett points out for Guardian US, much of the existing data on gun ownership is debated. Gun rights advocates often argue that Americans underreport gun ownership—challenging reports that ownership is dropping—and, already, some of them are questioning the validity of the new survey.

“Really? Three percent of American gun owners own half the guns? That seems wildly off the mark,” Mike Bazinet, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, wrote in an email to Beckett. “On the surface, this survey sounds like part of the ongoing effort to minimize gun ownership to make more gun control seem politically achievable.”
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
Omnipotent

My Ride: 2014 335i
Send a message via AIM to Omnipotent
Hmm, if I need about 17 to be considered a "super gun owner", I have a ways to go

I don't like being below average, so I think I need to start catching up!

Old 09-19-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
About 10 short. :Tsk:
Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #4
redline61

My Ride: 04 M3
You super gun owners need to lay off the freaking 22 ammo so I can go plinking again!! That is the worst part about the gun craze is once everyone stocked up on the kind of ammo you could use to defend yourself and kill animals and then they all started stockpiling 22 ammo for no obvious reason.

Also I'm just jealous and about 13 guns short
Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Yeaaa....not even close to super duper decoder ring status
Old 09-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I am a super gun owner apparently. The funny thing is that the numbers used for this study are WAY skewed. They talk about the reported numbers, but most people don't report their ownership or numbers. Many of us won't tell the doctors or dentists or employers about our gun ownership, so it goes "unreported".
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Yup.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline61 View Post
You super gun owners need to lay off the freaking 22 ammo so I can go plinking again!! That is the worst part about the gun craze is once everyone stocked up on the kind of ammo you could use to defend yourself and kill animals and then they all started stockpiling 22 ammo for no obvious reason.

Also I'm just jealous and about 13 guns short
Back of the Humvee, peasant!
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
BreakfastBurrito

I find it amusing/disturbing when there are news reports of "weapons cache" or "arsenal" found at mans home... "had over 1000 rounds of ammuntion stockpiled"

A guy can't own a gun or two nowadays. Agree with Reedo, you can't tell people, they freak out knowing you own A GUN!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I hear "had over 1000 rounds" and I'm like, "that's it?!?"
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
I'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Dropping to 1K of a particular round is when I typically order more of it.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post

I think the same thing. haha

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
BreakfastBurrito

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...720-story.html

Over a thousand guns
Old 09-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #14
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Yeah, I'm guilty

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada